Ray Sloan pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ray Sloan pipes

Post by Hornpiper »

Anyone have pipes by him or heard 'em first hand? I was just checking out his website & they sound pretty gorgeous to me on the sound clip he has! Any thoughts?
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Re: Ray Sloan pipes

Post by Jonathan »

My sister has a practice set (made in 2000 I believe). Very nice indeed. Tone is excellent; workmanship is top notch.
Hornpiper wrote:Anyone have pipes by him or heard 'em first hand? I was just checking out his website & they sound pretty gorgeous to me on the sound clip he has! Any thoughts?
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Jonathan wrote:My sister has a practice set (made in 2000 I believe). Very nice indeed. Tone is excellent; workmanship is top notch.
Hornpiper wrote:Anyone have pipes by him or heard 'em first hand? I was just checking out his website & they sound pretty gorgeous to me on the sound clip he has! Any thoughts?
I have a half set narrow bore D, and agree...tone is excellent, workmanship is top notch. I just made a new reed for the chanter on Sunday and will post a clip. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight, but should be able to by the end of the week.

Ray is a great guy to work with and when I bought mine the lead time was only 6 months for a half set.

The only caveat I'd tell you about them is that the drone styling is not the "traditional" Uilleann pipe styling but has more of a Scottish or small pipe nuance. No problems with the function...and in my view gives me a unique looking set, but that may not appeal to everyone.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else.
-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

snoogie wrote:
Jonathan wrote:My sister has a practice set (made in 2000 I believe). Very nice indeed. Tone is excellent; workmanship is top notch.
The only caveat I'd tell you about them is that the drone styling is not the "traditional" Uilleann pipe styling but has more of a Scottish or small pipe nuance. No problems with the function...and in my view gives me a unique looking set, but that may not appeal to everyone.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else.
-gary
I have seen, listened to and played this half set (uh, the chanter that is), and it is absolutely beautiful! The turning is masterfully done, and the drone style does resemble highland drones... although, so do some Rowsome drones. For a narrow bore D, these drones really have guts, and the chanter is as about as sweet sounding as you could ask for.

It is a solid, sturdy and somewhat heavy set of pipes (smaller yet heavier than my own wide bore 1/2 set). The photos of UPs on Ray's site are really very pretty, but nothing compared to seeing his stunning work up close...wow.

IMHO, anyone would do well if they were to purchase a set of Ray Sloan's UPs.
david.b

Post by david.b »

Hi,
Owning first a practice set and now a half set of Rays narrow bore D pipes I can only add more praise to the other posts. Rays workmanship is of the very highest order indeed and I am very pleased with the tone and playing of the pipes.
Ray is very helpful and efficient and generous with his time. The pipes played straight from the box and have remained in tune and trouble free.
He is like a number of well respected pipemakers....you get a superbly crafted instrument and a great deal of continuing backup and advice.....very helpful if you are new to uilleann pipes.
dirk

Post by dirk »

A student of mine has a Ray Sloan practice set. I like it very much. It has a beautiful tone and is easy to "reed." The chanter has very simple, elegant styling, with a shiny finish on the ebony. My only complaint is that the bellows has no padding under the arm or the waist. The waist belt attachment to the bellows actually has a steel band over the leather. This band rubs against my hip bone and is quite uncomfortable. The first thing I would do is make a buck-skin pillow for both the elbow and the hip, which would do fine to cure this problem.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

dirk wrote:My only complaint is that the bellows has no padding under the arm or the waist.
Ray now sells his bellows with a really nice leather pad on both arm and hip side. A bit pricey, but I've found it worthwhile for the reasons you mention.
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I just got lefthanded uilleann pipes bag with blow pipe/chanter stock tied in.
from Ray Slaon last week.

I am using Rogge bellows, Rogge B and D plumwood chanters with the bag and had no leaks from bag or from bellows blow pipe/bag blow pipe seem to be pumping the bellows less with Ray Sloan bag when playing than my rooge C full set.

Ray Slaon reply saying I do guarantee that my bags are
100% airtight and am pleased that you bear this out.

Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Ray made me a replacement bag for my set....... Top quality work.
I would recommend his pipes.
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Ok, here's a snip...sorry for the back D going a bit flat in there, other than that the new reed has been working really well.

-gary

Ray Sloan Narrow Bore D with Gary's reed
Joseph E. Smith

The reed sounds really good, and the back 'd' is only very slightly flat, as far as I can tell. Perhaps it is just a matter of bag pressure? Keep up the good work sir.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I think you may be right Joseph. I've noticed it going flat mostly when I'm coming from the second 8tave to back D, rather than going up to back D...overall the new reed is either spot on in tune on a note or 10-15 cents off one way or another (certainly within my margin of error for bag pressure).

The other thing is that with my old reeds I had to play C-nat with the index and middle fingers off of the lower hand (as well as the index finger of the upper hand) in order for it to be in tune...now I can use only the index finger of each hand, slightly shading the C# hole, which is I think is a more traditional fingering.

One more week till the Florida Tionol!
-gary
Joseph E. Smith

Yeah, I'm getting pretty psyched! It'll be great meeting the piping instructors and giving them a good, hard listening to. See you in Gainesville!
Joseph E. Smith

...the more I think about it Gary, have you tried to seat the reed a little further into the chanter? Just an after thought....
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

I don't have a set of Ray's UP...yet. But I have every other kind of pipe he makes. After playing other pipes by makers with what some might consider a higher profile, I couldn't be happier with the pipes themselves and the level of support. The quality of the key work on my NSP that Ray made is unmatched by anyone.

Ray released a CD in 2003 called PIPES, RODS 'N' REELS with several tracks of uilleann piping. It's more than a little amazing that someone who is such a great craftsman is also such a great musician.
:boggle:
Hardly seems fair!
:wink: