1/20/05 Chuir i Glùin air a'Bhodach and Braes of Balquidder

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

1/20/05 Chuir i Glùin air a'Bhodach and Braes of Balquidder

Post by TonyHiggins »

1/20/05 Aaron Malcomb writes, "Here are a strathspey and reel called Chuir i Glùin air a'Bhodach and Braes of Balquidder (respectively) on a Highland bagpipe. (saved in non-w)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

Very nice, Aaron.

How's the piping scene in B'ham? I haven't been around it, or Bruce Merrick in a few years.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks, Teri.

The Bellingham Pipe Band has been plugging along under Craig Wood's leadership and instruction from SFU players. I started teaching there this winter and I also commute to BC to play with Robert Malcolm Memorial grade 2. I haven't met Bruce Merrick but I understand he hasn't been piping in some years.

As to the posting of these tunes it stems from a thread on the flute forum about playing the melody of "Wild Mountain Thyme" in the key of C on a D flute. The melody was composed by Frances McPeake but the lyrics were written by Robert Tannahill to the melody of "Braes of Balquidder." That is the first reel I learned on pipes. The strathspey is clearly the same tune. The setting and name are from the playing of the MacDonald brothers of Glenuig.

Cheers,
Aaron