Ye olde oil debate & flaxseed question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

What to oil a flute with?

Almond Oil
51%
Commercial Bore Oil
14%
Flaxseed Oil
29%
Pint O' Stout
6%

Total votes: 35

Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Ye olde oil debate & flaxseed question

Post by Jayhawk »

OK - I've searched the archives, read woodenflute.com's Q&A on oiling, and looked at most makers pages on what oil is best for the flute. The three leading canidates were commercial bore oil (like Dr. Sprolls or LeBlanc), almond oil or flaxseed oil.

Feel free to vote in the poll above, but I'm leaning towards either LeBlancs or flaxseed oil since you'll have to oil less frequently. Actually, I'm fairly close to choosing faxseed oil because it's drying yet I know what's in it (as opposed to the commercial bore oils), and it's what the previous owner used.

Now, for the flaxseed question. My local grocers has flaxseed which also has vitamin E added (no big deal I know) but also a bit of rosemary extract. Has anyone used flaxseed with the rosemary extract added? Would that cause any problems. Or, like citrus oils, would it be fine for a wooden flute?

Also, feel free to post any opinions about various oils below...if it matters, the flute is my new to me rosewood Sweetheart flute.

Thanks,

Eric
Henke

Post by Henke »

I use Linseed, or sometimes the commercially available bore oil. But is Linseed the same as Flaxseed? Probably not, but I don't know.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Henke wrote:I use Linseed, or sometimes the commercially available bore oil. But is Linseed the same as Flaxseed? Probably not, but I don't know.
They're the same, I believe.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Almond, raw linseed (flaxseed), camellia oils are all good. Whether any is best is probably a matter of opinion. I have to say that my dogwood stick was heavily treated with linseed oil, and I found the smell to be a bit off-putting. I don't care for commercial bore oil for the purely nonscientific reason that it's a petroleum product. Definitely not stout. That's alcohol abuse. A drop or two on your flute to keep it happy is OK, though.
bang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bang »

ran across this page on oils for bamboo a while back. the info seems applicable to wooden flutes generally. a fascinating site overall, with lots of interesting bits about flute acoustics:

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/oil.html

enjoy! /dan
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My almond oil has a little sandalwood essence in it for scent. I just received one of my flutes back from the maker, and he remarked on how well cared-for it looked. So no biggie on scented oils, I think.

BTW, I would vote for none of the above since I mix my almond 1:4 with extra light olive oil. I really don't find it a huge chore to oil the bore every month or two instead of every two or six. Boxwood flutes especially really sing right after they've been oiled.

I don't use linseed/flaxseed because it smells gross. (I wouldn't thing a little rosemary essence could possibly overpower it.) I want to feel like I'm playing a wooden flute when I'm playing a wooden flute. If it smells like linseed oil, I feel like I'm in painting class.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, I put a bit of sandalwood essence in my almond oil, too! Makes for a very enjoyable olfactory bonus when playing.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Really interesting link, bang! So, based on the article, since my flute had a good linseed oiling when it was made (9 months ago), I theoretically don't need to oil it for years, other than for cosmetic reasons. This seems to fly in the face of conventional Irish-flute oiling practice...
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Oiling is useless, I say Epoxy the bore and be done with it.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Better yet, line both the inside and outside with lead, that way it'll be safe from x-ray vision as well.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren - have you been sanding crazy glue again or something?

BTW - I voted for stout myself. There are very few things that can't be solved by a pint of stout...and besides, I have no clue what's truly best.

Anyone try walnut oil? I like walnuts. :P

Eric

Edit: I do know the best method for applying stout is by:

1) Ingesting the stout during a session, and
2) Playing the flute.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dude, I inhale so much toxic *#@* all day it's not funny: paint thinner, acetone, super glue fumes, contact cement, varnish, lacquer........ it's best not to trust a word I say.

However, at the shop we use a combination of linseed oil, turpentine and spar varnish, which is applied either topically, or under pressure, depending on the circumstances. Proceed at your own risk.

We actually do use other things to more or less permanently seal the bore of most instruments we make though, which would be in addition to the pressure oiling.

Loren
David Levine

Oil

Post by David Levine »

Is oil used for bamboo appropriate for cocus or blackwood?
I'd rather oil once a month or so with almond oil. Almond oil doesn't have the possibliity of becoming gummy or hard -- re the bamboo flute oiling site. I add a bit of Vitamin E oil to retard spoilage, although almond oil last a long time before it gets rancid.
Most makers recommend almod oil. A few recommend bore oil, which I think makes the wooden flute dull over the years. Some say oiling is not necessary. I use the thin, pharmaceutical grade almond oil found in Ireland in pharmacies. If anybody wants some I'll be glad to send a small bottle for the cost of the oil and mailing. It's thin, unlike the food-grade almond oil available in health food stores, which is rather thick.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I use this commercial bore oil (clickme). I'm not convinced it does any good, but at least it doesn't smell like turpentine.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
talasiga

Re: Ye olde oil debate & flaxseed question

Post by talasiga »

Jayhawk wrote:....
Now, for the flaxseed question. My local grocers has flaxseed which also has vitamin E added (no big deal I know) but also a bit of rosemary extract.
Rosemary will ensure those who hear your playing will never forget it. It better me good!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit