Flat set versus Concert D as your first set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John Dally
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flat set versus Concert D as your first set

Post by John Dally »

Should your first full set be a concert D set?
Personally, the mellow sound of the flat sets is more appealling than the typical sound of concert D sets. But do you limit yourself considerably if the only set you have is a flat set?
:-?
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

The only limiting factor being that you'd be more of a solo player unless someone you know has a flat set same pitch as yours.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Paul Reid wrote:The only limiting factor being that you'd be more of a solo player unless someone you know has a flat set same pitch as yours.
...or other instrumentalists were willing to drop their key signatures down to suit your tuning. :D
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Also, you will find tutorials are in D.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tony wrote:Also, you will find tutorials are in D.
I think that Peter Laban pointed out in a different thread that all UP music is written out in D....so as not to complicate learning tunes on other keyed (flat) sets.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

And JOBM(in an Piobaire) once made the point he started on a Matt Kiernan C chanter, never had a spot of bother with it and that a flat would be worth considering for beginners. teaching a bunch of early teenagers struggling with NPU practice sets on loan, all concert D, I can only agree with Jimmy's suggestion.

(edited to clean up a typo)
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Tony wrote:Also, you will find tutorials are in D.
I think that Peter Laban pointed out in a different thread that all UP music is written out in D....so as not to complicate learning tunes on other keyed (flat) sets.
Right. It's been mentioned a few times.
Lorenzo

Re: Flat set versus Concert D as your first set

Post by Lorenzo »

John Dally wrote:Should your first full set be a concert D set?
Personally, the mellow sound of the flat sets is more appealling than the typical sound of concert D sets. But do you limit yourself considerably if the only set you have is a flat set?
:-?
John, are you aware that you have a piper in your area? I think Denny Hall lives on Vashon Island. He also makes pipes, including UP. He could give you lots of ideas. He also has a collection of old Uilleann pipes.
wharfedalecarving

Post by wharfedalecarving »

If you prefer the sound of a flat set then you have really answered your own question. However, why not purchase a flat set (full set or whatever) for your REAL enjoyment and a concert chanter for sessions. Just leave the drones switched off and play chanter only when in sessions. Anyway, from my experience in some of the big noisy sessions I can't hear my drones anyway (or to tune them properly) so I usually end up just playing the chanter.
I remember Ronan Brown years ago playing a concert chanter plugged into his Harrington B set in sessions. He left the bass drone tuning slide off the set to keep it compact and drones switched off.
Wharfedalecarving.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would say start on the Concert D set you have to look at other instruments to see that it is the normal thing to start on the most common then switch to the lower like look at Clarinet, people always start on the standard Soprano Clarinet then later switch to Bass or Alto or whatever, now I am not saying that the two are the same but you should hear play and have an appreciation for the standard pitch then if you decide to switch to/buy a flat set for fun go for it, but you don't want to limit yourself to a transposing instrument if that is not the regular instrument you should know what the instrument is "intended" to sound like before you go to something else.
John Dally

Re: Flat set versus Concert D as your first set

Post by John Dally »

Lorenzo wrote:John, are you aware that you have a piper in your area? I think Denny Hall lives on Vashon Island. He also makes pipes, including UP. He could give you lots of ideas. He also has a collection of old Uilleann pipes.
Yes, I know Denny Hall. He lives in Gig Harbor now, on the same dirt road as Mike Saunders with whom I've played music for years.

Denny once showed me his old Egan set in boxwood, and it's been on my mind every since. I've heard through the grapevine that someone else in the area has that set now. I've also heard that Denny is teaching a young piper in Gig Harbor how to make pipes.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone.