ANTIQUE BASS FLUTE BY RUDDAL CARTE & Co. Ltd. on EBAY

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GalegoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ANTIQUE BASS FLUTE BY RUDDAL CARTE & Co. Ltd. on EBAY

Post by GalegoMan »

Hi fluters!
Take a look at this link: ebay sells a rudall B flat bass flute from Alan Ginsberg's used stock.
http://cgi.es.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 57715&rd=1

...AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :party:
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I notice there are 0 pujas :)
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Could someone say something more
about what this is?
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

There's two kind of Boehm sistem flutes tuned in a low pitch than the standard C "silver flute": the Alto Flute and the lowest Bass Flute.

Both frecuently used in classic music, but listen Sarah Allen (Flook!) grooving with her big alto flute, Robert Dick doing impossibles free jazz phrases with alien UFO flutes, or Jaime Muela (Radio Tarifa) playing flamenco riffs on alto flute.

All the way, I think this Rudall flute is an Alto flute, not bass (alto flute is avaliable with a straight or curve headjoint)
glauber

Post by glauber »

I also think that's not a bass flute in the modern sense. The add says it's in B-flat. I'm not sure what that means.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

It doesn't seem very long since this one came up last time, and did not sell !
If I had the energy to do a search I would !
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wonder if this is basically a Bb flute.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi all

This is a latter-day Bb band flute, referred to in band terminology as a Bb bass. It's the later version of the low Bb flutes from Rudall & Rose that we are familiar with from the playing of Matt Malloy and successors, see some luscious originals at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/rudall_Bb.htm

The old Rudall & Rose Bb flutes would I suspect have been somewhat lacking in volume for outdoor military band use. To give them some real oomph, the later Rudall Carte version shown above has a bigger bore (still conical), and much bigger finger holes much better placed. To achieve that it has to be fully keyed, but the system is still 8-key - i.e. the keys act only as extensions, they are not interlocked as on a Boehm flute.

I'd be confident that the pictured flute would be tuned to old High Pitch as that continued in the band movement until something like the 1930's. So we'd find it a little sharp of Bb, about 50 cents. I imagine that the crook in the head is handy for minimising stretch, but even more handy in avoiding getting the flute foot hopelessly entangled in the bass ophecliede during the fancy footwork on the parade ground.

The other maker famous for this kind of flute was Henry Potter, who still exist in Aldershot, mostly doing drums.

Terry
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Wow! Thank you Terry, for your good explanation!
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Yes, but I lied! I said:

"To achieve that it has to be fully keyed, but the system is still 8-key - i.e. the keys act only as extensions, they are not interlocked as on a Boehm flute. "

Looking again that's largely true but not entirely. Look at the top fingerplate - at the lower right-hand end of the image of flute in case. It overhangs what looks like a normally open c-key (to use d-flute terms), so that it probably closes it when it also closes the c# hole. I imagine that the same pad closes when L2 is closed, probably via those clutches you can see where L2 joins the main rod. So it's a form of brille, useful to bring up the the pitch of the all-fingers-open note.

Terry
davidshorey

Post by davidshorey »

Dear Terry,

With much respect, I think you were right the first time. It looks like each pad has it's own touch, and the flying touch at the bottom of this rack opens a closed C key under the thumb touch. This would then be a standard 6 keyed D foot, transposed down to Bb.

This flute looks to me like one of those you have to own to really appreciate.

Best wishes to all,

David

http://www.antiqueflutes.com