Horror!! *SOB*

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fiddlecrazy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Horror!! *SOB*

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I can't believe this could happen to me!!! I set my flute on my desk, but I saw it rolling off, and tried to catch it, but I missed! And now, the headjoint is cracked!! The air leak is so bad I can't even play it! I've broken my flute! I can't believe it! Is there anything I can do, or do I have to buy a new headjoint? Can it be repaired? Here is a photo, so you can see how bad it is. The crack is a little hard to see in the photo, but it's toward the middle, at the edge of the headjoint.

-a very sad Max
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ouch. The Good news is that the crack can be repaired, and shouldn't cost a fortune. After repair, your flute should play just fine.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

back to casey
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

There is a string on crack repair on this forum:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=23801&start=0

Basically, get some thin cyanoacrylate glue - couple of bucks at a good hobby shop - and let it wick into the crack. If you are careful, it will wick in completely and leave no residue on the outside. If any does stay out side, wipe it off quickly. Give it a few minutes to set up and it should be a nearly invisible repair.

I too have made a panicked grab at a rolling flute, but got lucky. I wonder why noone makes square flutes...

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

While I can appreciate Roger's "Do it yourself" attitude and approach, I strongly suggest you send the flute back to Casey for a proper repair: Glueing a crack correctly, particularly in that spot, requires a bit more than just wicking some glue into the crack - do it wrong, and you'll have a crack that is unevenly rejoined, and therefor a socket that may very well never seal properly.

Best,

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would take Loren's and Jim's advice on this one: call the maker and find out what your options are.

I'm so sorry about your flute; I'm glad it wasn't damaged any worse.

--James
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Random notes wrote:I wonder why noone makes square flutes...
That's what keys are for, silly!

Bad news, Max. If you decide to go with the do-it-yourself cyanoacrylate job, use the thin stuff, not the gel, and apply it in several applications to ensure that it dries properly. Do NOT oil the crack prior to doing this.
George
Tell us something.: I'm interested in Irish traditional music. Specifically flute & uilleann pipes at the moment. Did you know that the Sally Garden's starts like G2 DG B2 GB using the ABC language, that's certainly fascinating isn't it?

Post by George »

Superglue is just not strong/flexable enough to hold a crack like that in place. That joint needs to be snug to ensure that the flute is airtight, and is putting pressure to expand where it's cracked all the time it's together. I'm not sure what Casey will recommend, probably pinning or a metal band. But having superglue all in the crack may make the repair harder.
As a temporary fix you could wrap the outside of the tenon where it's cracked with waxed thick thread. If you make it tight and wound neatly you can make it playable. Don't do that if there's a crazy finish you could hurt, and I never seen that done to a piece with a ridge like yours. Might work though.

Best of luck,
-George Grasso
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've been talking to Casey--he is very
helpful and accomodating about repairs.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

You have 3 options:

1. Call Casey

2. Call Casey

3. Yup, you guessed it; call Casey.

In the future, set your flute on a softer, more inert surface like a folded bar towel. Keyless flutes don't come with kickstands.

Cheers,
Aaron
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

Thanks for your concern and help, folks. I emailed Casey, and asked him what could be done about it.

Max
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Hmmm, it makes you wonder if we makers (or anyone else!) should supply anti-roll devices for keyless flutes. It's hard to think of anything on the flute itself that wouldn't detract from its appearance. Perhaps two small rounded triangular blocks at the top of the body, set so that they form a flat between them, exactly 180 degees around from the fingerholes? Or a cast ring with a similar flat spot for the big barrel ring?

Heh heh, having an indexing device could help with the other problem assoicated with keyless flutes in darkened pubs. You grab for your flute when they suddenly start playing your favourite tune, but then can't find the holes.

Or perhaps just something like 1 or 2 pieces of metal, plastic or wood with a flat bottom and a top shaped like /\___/\ could be sat upon the desk or table to secure the flute when not in use?

Or how about a g-clamp that attaches to the edge of the table, with a partial ring protruding outwards into which you slip the flute vertically when not in use. The ring is plastic covered and of a size that will catch your flute just below the barrel. You position the g-clamp so that the flute doesn't dribble on your foot.

Terry
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

How about a long rubber block flat on the bottom and with a curved top to fit the surface of the flute. I have one for my mp3 player for my stereo which is a long aluminum cylinder.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Perhaps a little plastic gripper to put in one end of the flute. The little squeeze ears to operate it would prevent rolling.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A "thumb crutch" (as in Boehm, Rittershausen, etc...) would do the job nicely, I think, and might just help with learning to hold the flute as well.

I have played a Rittershausen that had one; it was quite comfortable to hold.

This would definitely prevent the flute from rolling.

--James