Kaval info

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jder

Post by Jder »

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of some detailed info regarding the Kaval. I've been playing the whistle for little more than a year now, and I feel I am now ready to move on to the Kaval. However, the sound I need is specifically Romanian, and I'd really wish I could acquire an authentic Romanian caval. Since this is nearly impossible without travelling there, my other option would be to buy a Bulgarian 3part Kaval, but I fear it will be a fair bit different from what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any detailed info regarding this instrument and its varieties in Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Romania?

Here's a video of a Romanian caval player: http://www.arsmultimedia.org/constantin-chisar/flute.rm

As far as I can see in that video, the caval he uses is made up from two sections rather than three, and the finger holes seem to be positioned a fair bit lower than in the Bulgarian Kaval. The image isn't detailed enough to show whether it has the 4 extra holes at the bottom, or not.

Other than this, I couldn't find any really relevant info about the Romanian caval on the internet.

I'd greatly appreciate any help,
Jder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jder on 2002-02-02 18:33 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Thanks for all the links Tony!
Lark In The Morning is a good source for odd musical instruments,but quite expensive with low quality instruments mixed with high quality. Buyer Beware!

You can find archived information on the Kaval at this site too...

<a href="http://www.mimf.com/">Musical Instrument Makers Forum</a>

You may be interested in the "Fujara"(Bass overblow whistle) as well. Happy hunting!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Thomas,
Did you catch the Kaval specs? Four octaves!
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I can validate Thomas's caveat emptor about Lark based on lots of personal experience, including disappointment with a 225.00 kaval purchase through them. The mouthpiece is traditionally made of cow's horn, and whatever else it was (tasted like tree sap) on my instrument disintegrated after a few months of trying to learn the blowing technique.

I ended up buying a wonderful Persian Ney from an individual on the internet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-02-03 16:12 ]</font>