Lord of the Rings-James Galaway

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Woodpecker

Lord of the Rings-James Galaway

Post by Woodpecker »

Hi,
I just realized while listening to LoTR Return of the King soundtrack, that there is a whistle in there! :o I've looked into this and found that it was James Galway! I feel very stupid over not noticeing this :oops: , as I am a huge fan of LoTR. I'm just wondering if anyone else knew this, and what they think of it.
Help, i'm surounded by maniac wistle addicts!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I knew there was a whistle (my son is in the process of trying to play the Shire song by ear), but I didn't realize it was James Galway.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The arrangement I play differs from the following. The lyrics are as hauntingly beautiful as the melody. I often start sets with this to have something familiar but not overly so, before going into my original material.

"In Dreams"

DEFAFED
FABdCAFE
DEFAFED
FAB B-B-A-F E
DEF
FBCde-dCAFE
DEF
FBCded-eff-d-B-ddA
(Key change)
GABdBAG
Bdee-g-f-dBA
GABdBAG
GBdee-e-d-B
AA-A-G-FG

Lyrics (just in case you want them)
“In Dreams” by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore

When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there I will go
there and back again."
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

BillChin,

You are thinking of another piece from Fellowship (which was played by Alan Doherty). The work that Galloway did was in Return of the King.

Nevertheless, good comments and notation you have on "In Dreams"!

picardy
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I love James Galway. Some here don't like him because he has that golden flute and he is a dotreader and all. But I LOVE him, he's a great (classical) flute player. He has that beautiful creamy tone and great technique as well. He's absolutely unique.
Austinro

Post by Austinro »

The person who plays in the Fellowship and in the Return of the King are diffrent (the concerning hobbits song was played by the New Zeland Symphony and the ROTK was played by London Symphony). If anyone knows who played in concerning hobbits and what make they used I would appreciate the Knowledge.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Austinro wrote:If anyone knows who played in concerning hobbits and what make they used I would appreciate the Knowledge.
It was Alan Doherty of the band Grada (check out www.gradamusic.com). He used a Generation (he tells me his favorite whistle). According to him, the time he plays the theme in C (I believe right before the party) was his first recording session for Fellowship. Shore had written the piece in D but Doherty had left his D Generation in Ireland and only had his C. So Shore had to transpose the score down a whole step to accommodate the whistle. Later he was able to record it in the original D on also a Generation which is what you hear as Gandolf enters Hobbiton.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."