HELP a newbie...please..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lost-in-North-Dakota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

HELP a newbie...please..

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

OK, I am going to get a tin whistle. I am interested in the more slower, more melancholy side of the instrument, rather than fast dance tunes.

I need a recommendation for an instrument. Everyone says a "D" whistle is the place to start, so that is OK. From the "inexpensive" C&F web page, which is known for good intonation and a mellow tone?

Perhaps more importantly, if one were to get a book/CD instructional combo, which will get me going in the right direction? I have played the guitar for 40 years, have a good ear for music, and can sight read the treble clef on piano or guitar, albeit slowly.

Amazon.com has the book "The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition (Bk. & CD)" for about $12, and a Clarke D whistle for about $10. A good way to start?

Thanks,

Lost in North Dakota

:-?
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

hello there,

i believe that's the perfect start all right,
my personal preference would go to a clarke sweetone form the whistle shop. http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... eetone.htm

along with the book, there's another good place to start here
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: HELP a newbie...please..

Post by brewerpaul »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote: Amazon.com has the book "The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition (Bk. & CD)" for about $12, and a Clarke D whistle for about $10. A good way to start?

Thanks,

Lost in North Dakota

:-?
You won't be lost for long with that combo. A great place to start. You might also want to pick up one or two other different D whistles just for comparison. The Sweetone is good, and a real traditional one like the Feadog or Generation just for variety. Even with all three whistles, you won't be spending a huge amount of money and will have a tremendous amount of fun and satisfaction.
Oh, BTW-- welcome to the board!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ditto what Paul said; and you could throw in a Walton or Soodlum as well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Yep, I'd pick up a conical and a cylindrical whistle, just so you can see the difference and get an idea of what you like. Sweetone or MEG are really easy to start out on, or they were for me.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

If you're more interested in the slower tunes you may want to check out the 110 Ireland's Best Slow Airs. The book along with the 2 cds with all the tunes is $30. from Harp and Dragon, which is a few bucks cheaper than I've seen other places. -On the other hand, if you're going to order a few inexpensive whistles like a tweaked Sweetone and maybe a Generation, the Whistle Shop would probably be your best bet. Maybe they would match that $30 price for the book! They have it for $36 I think.--mike
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Personally, I'd skip the Meg AND the Sweetone as I find both grating and unpleasant in tone. Particularly if you're wanting to start out with the slower airs and such. Mack Hoover's Whitecaps are a great first (and in many folk's opinion last) whistle. Look around for a good Oak or Generation. Walton's can sometimes prove very nice - and if you can find one of the old Perri whistles, they were dynamite by just about all accounts. Best advice though is try before you buy. If you buy blind - without hearing the instrument you want to make music with - it can certainly become discouraging very quickly.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Brian Lee wrote:Personally, I'd skip the Meg AND the Sweetone as I find both grating and unpleasant in tone. <snip> Best advice though is try before you buy. If you buy blind - without hearing the instrument you want to make music with - it can certainly become discouraging very quickly.

I'd skip the Meg and the Sweetone, too. I have them and they're kind of unpleasant. Not mellow by any means. (To give you an idea of how highly I think of the Meg . . . I keep it in the car for traffic backups. In the seven months it's been there, I have encountered a lot of backups, and every one of them has been more entertaining than playing that Meg. The only use I've gotten out of it was to effect silence in a group of coworkers I was transporting to Sarasota -- by threatening to play the thing.)

Trying before you buy is a good idea, but if you can't do that maybe The Whistle Shop can send you one that they've tried. Or, get one which has been tweaked. That assumes that the tweaker actually played it and was happy with it. (I have a Freeman-tweaked Clarke which is really quite nice.)

Whistle Shop has nice explanations and descriptions, and an intro to playing page. They're very helpful and lovely to deal with.

And, do get more than one whistle! Don't even bother thinking you'll try one and if you like it you'll get another. That would be silly. You'll spend a lot less on shipping if you just get your first five or six of them right away! :wink:
Ridseard

Re: HELP a newbie...please..

Post by Ridseard »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:.....Amazon.com has the book "The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition (Bk. & CD)" for about $12, and a Clarke D whistle for about $10. A good way to start?
Absolutely! Good book, good whistle. (Megs and Sweetones are easy to play but sound terrible, IMHO.)

My wife (who is from ND) wants to know why you are "lost."
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

I am interested in the more slower, more melancholy side of the instrument, rather than fast dance tunes.
That's pretty much my interest, and like the others, I recommend a tweaked Clarke or Shaw from The Whistle Shop. I also think you'll want to try a low whistle sooner or later. They are something special on a ballad. You can listen to different ones at Tin Whistle Tunes. You can get an entry level low D pvc whistle at Jubilee Instruments. It's a hell of a bargain at $24.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Peggy wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:Personally, I'd skip the Meg AND the Sweetone as I find both grating and unpleasant in tone. <snip> Best advice though is try before you buy. If you buy blind - without hearing the instrument you want to make music with - it can certainly become discouraging very quickly.

I'd skip the Meg and the Sweetone, too. I have them and they're kind of unpleasant. Not mellow by any means. (To give you an idea of how highly I think of the Meg . . . I keep it in the car for traffic backups. In the seven months it's been there, I have encountered a lot of backups, and every one of them has been more entertaining than playing that Meg. The only use I've gotten out of it was to effect silence in a group of coworkers I was transporting to Sarasota -- by threatening to play the thing.)

You guys are worrying me. I love my MEG (not crazy about my Sweetone) and everyone else says they're horrible. From what I gather, Clarke's don't really vary in quality like Gens or Waltons. So why do I like this whistle so much?

Are you telling me that I don't know what a whistle is supposed to sound like? I've recorded myself, and the MEG sounds fine (especially compared to my Walton). I just bought a Gen C that I really like, but it still sounds really harsh in the uppers relative to my MEG. I think I'm going to cry :cry:
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

>My wife (who is from ND) wants to know why you are "lost."<

She's one of the lucky ones. She escaped. I must be lost, I can't seem to figure out how to get out of here. Am I lost, or just stranded? Sadly, the morose determinism of the Lutheran faith seems to fit the experience of living in North Dakota like a hand in a glove. If she doesn't remember these feelings, she has been away too long, or she didn't live here long enough.

But enough about me. You-all are a swell group of folks! I think I'm going to pick up a whistle or two for myself, and also a whistle for my college-age daughter, too. The suggestion about the 110 Airs book/CD was great.

Regarding the Meg, whatever whistle I get, I'll get one of these too. I've got something like $2000 invested in other instruments and electronics, so it will take a while to spend that much on whistles.

An example of what I am thinking of doing...say to play a melancholy folk tune on the acoustic/electric guitar, perhaps a verse of melody and a verse with an alternate rendition, while recording with a looping station, then, for the next two verses, I could accompany myself with a melancholy whistle....playing a duet with myself. In any case, I have the next six months of winter to work on it.

Lost
Paul

Post by Paul »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:>My wife (who is from ND) wants to know why you are "lost."<

She's one of the lucky ones. She escaped. I must be lost, I can't seem to figure out how to get out of here. Am I lost, or just stranded? Sadly, the morose determinism of the Lutheran faith seems to fit the experience of living in North Dakota like a hand in a glove. If she doesn't remember these feelings, she has been away too long, or she didn't live here long enough.
You probably just havent finished whatever you're supposed to do there yet. When you're done with whatever it is you'll be able to move on. :) Maybe you'll end up in Hawaii or something. Who knows?

Welcome to C&F!

Best,
Paul
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:I must be lost, I can't seem to figure out how to get out of here. Am I lost, or just stranded? Sadly, the morose determinism of the Lutheran faith seems to fit the experience of living in North Dakota like a hand in a glove.
Tell me about it. Ice fishing is a form of Minnesotan penance for Lutherans. And right now in Minneapolis, every evening until when? Christmas, maybe?--is the Holidazzle parade. Cold, dark (except for the street lamps and battery-powered illuminated costumes), and painfully G-rated, it's the Lutheran's perfect answer to Mardi Gras. I don't get it; but then, I was raised Presbyterian, which is almost worse in some ways.
mujo

Post by mujo »

Hi,
I'm someone who likes the slow airs myself, and have found the tweaked Clarke from the whistle shop a great whistle for airs. A Waltons Mello D is none too shabby either.