New digital camera, so... Whistle photos!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jsluder
antispam: No

New digital camera, so... Whistle photos!

Post by jsluder »

Christmas came at Thanksgiving this year! My wife bought a digital camera for me and gave it to me early. (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, 5MP, 12x optical zoom.) I'm still learning how this beast works, so a lot of my photos are garbage, but a couple came out okay. I thought this would be a good opportunity to figure out how to post images to C&F. :)

First up, my Busman bird's-eye maple high D.

Next, my Busman Delrin high D.

I resisted getting a digital camera for a long time, but this is fun! :D

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

The birdseye maple is exquisite. If I was buying a Busman that is what I would want. It is as beautiful as I expected.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I love the birdseye too.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:o
Great pics.
The second pic looks three dimensional...
Gotta get a Digital camera....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ooooh.. those are beautiful whistles!

Aren't digital cameras fun?!

Although... for the price we paid for ours, I could have a few more whistles... hmmm....
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Darwin

Re: New digital camera, so... Whistle photos!

Post by Darwin »

jsluder wrote:Christmas came at Thanksgiving this year! My wife bought a digital camera for me and gave it to me early. (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, 5MP, 12x optical zoom.) I'm still learning how this beast works, so a lot of my photos are garbage, but a couple came out okay.
[...]
I resisted getting a digital camera for a long time, but this is fun! :D
Pretty decent photos for a new camera.

If C&F doesn't already take up enough of your time, you might enjoy the Panasonic Talk Forum on the Digital Photograhpy Review site. I used to spend a lot of time on the Nikon Talk Forum. They are a bit more tightly controlled than C&F, with less OT stuff. They're also a good place to ask technical questions, though.

I pretty much gave up photography when I could no longer have my own darkroom, but digital, combined with Photoshop, has brought it all back.

If you need a place to post photos for family and friends, take a look at PBase. It's pretty easy to customize, if you wish. Check out my site there. It's not free, but it's cheap for what it provides--and it's very nice to navigate from the viewer's standpoint.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Darwin wrote:Pretty decent photos for a new camera.
Thanks! And thanks for the info. I've browsed through the dpreview site a few times, but haven't gotten involved in any of the forums. It is a nice resource, though.

What version of Photoshop do you use: Photoshop Elements, or the full (i.e., expensive) version? I'm just using the limited capabilities in iPhoto (which came with my Mac) at the moment. I like Photoshop (used to have the full version at work), but I'm wondering if the cut-down Elements version is any good.

For those who like whistle comparisons, here are a couple more photos...

All of my high D whistles:
Top-to-bottom: Freeman-tweaked Generation, Hoover traditional bore brass (circa 2002), Busman bird's-eye maple (2004), Busman Delrin (2004), Burke AL-Pro (2001).

As above, plus my Burke AL-Pro Viper Low D (2004):

Cheers,
John
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

jsluder wrote:I've browsed through the dpreview site a few times, but haven't gotten involved in any of the forums. It is a nice resource, though.
I'm on my fifth digicam, and I wouldn't even think of buying one without having seen a review of it on dpreview. Imaging Resource is pretty good, too, but nothing's as thorough as what dpreview puts them through.
What version of Photoshop do you use: Photoshop Elements, or the full (i.e., expensive) version? I'm just using the limited capabilities in iPhoto (which came with my Mac) at the moment. I like Photoshop (used to have the full version at work), but I'm wondering if the cut-down Elements version is any good.
I'm using 7.0.1 (next to the newest for OS X). I started with Elements, which came free with one of my cameras, and it worked well for me for some time. Eventually, there were some features that I imagined I couldn't live without, so I went to the full version. It's awfully expensive, but I love it. I'm still not close to getting everything out of it that it has to offer.
For those who like whistle comparisons, here are a couple more photos...
Hah! You're getting better already. :thumbsup:

That looks like part of my collection. That Viper sure looks big. How is the hole spacing?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
DRC

Post by DRC »

Ok. Since we've seen the goods (nice shots, BTW), now we need some sound clips.

DC
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Darwin wrote:I'm using 7.0.1 (next to the newest for OS X). I started with Elements, which came free with one of my cameras, and it worked well for me for some time. Eventually, there were some features that I imagined I couldn't live without, so I went to the full version. It's awfully expensive, but I love it. I'm still not close to getting everything out of it that it has to offer.
I'll probably start with Photoshop Elements, as well. Then, if I use it enough and decide Elements is too limited, I'll consider upgrading.
Darwin wrote:That looks like part of my collection. That Viper sure looks big. How is the hole spacing?
To give you an idea of scale, it's about 8 inches from the center of the top hole to the center of the bottom hole. I have fairly large hands, so the spacing works for me when using the piper's grip. The Viper has a joint just above the bottom hole which will allow it to be offset if needed, but I haven't moved it.

Cheers,
John
Celebriel

Post by Celebriel »

:o

After seeing those beautiful whistles, I can't bear to look at my own anymore!!!!!!!!

How much do one of those beauties cost? And where are they sold?
Morituri te salutamus
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

DRC wrote:Ok. Since we've seen the goods (nice shots, BTW), now we need some sound clips.

DC
But my wife gave me a camera, not a microphone. :wink:

Seriously, though... While I enjoy whistles enough to spend considerable money for them, I still consider myself a rank amateur player. I played at my sister's wedding this Fall (after much trepidation), and it seemed to go well, but I'm still not comfortable putting myself out there for others to hear. Eventually, perhaps, but not yet. :oops:

Cheers,
John
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Celebriel wrote::o

After seeing those beautiful whistles, I can't bear to look at my own anymore!!!!!!!!

How much do one of those beauties cost? And where are they sold?
Well, if you're referring to the Busman whistles in the first couple of pictures, go to http://www.busmanwhistles.com. For Burke whistles, go to http://www.burkewhistles.com. For Hoover, http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/. Their web pages list their prices. For Freeman-tweaked Generations, contact C&F member "Jerry Freeman" via PM on this board. I don't know his prices; I got mine in a trade.

For many, many more options, check out the whistle guides on the main Chiff & Fipple page.

Hope that helps,
John
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I bought myself an early Christmas present as well...a Kodak EasyShare for a reasonable price at Walmart. I took pics and set them on photobucket. Here's my whistle collection:

"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SilverStrand wrote:I bought myself an early Christmas present as well...a Kodak EasyShare for a reasonable price at Walmart. I took pics and set them on photobucket. Here's my whistle collection:

(snip)
So, what's the 2nd from the right? Looks like aluminum; who's the maker?

Cheers,
John