We outta have (Absolutely not off topic!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

We outta have (Absolutely not off topic!)

Post by Loren »

After reading a recent thread in which Jessie, along with several others, have contributed some thoughts on various whistles, it occurs to me we outta have either a) A sticky thread with this info, or b) something along these lines in a permanent section of the C&F website. Personally I'd lean to a.

Here's my thinking: Over the years a number of folks (myself included) have taken a huge amount of time to go through this exercise over, and over and over again. Now using the search function to try to find most of this info won't really get it done, and many of us have quite contributing instrument comparison summaries (not I didn't say reviews) because the shelf life is too short. My suggestion would be that people keep starting or continuing new instrument review threads as we've always done, but perhaps a permanently sticky "comparison summary" thread could be established? This would give newbies easy access to much of the most requested "which whistle?" info, while encouraging those with knowledge and experience to contribute, while taking nothing away from the regular posting of new instrument reviews and the like.

Thoughts anyone?

Loren
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

One possible problem is that we disagree so "violently" over which whistles are good. Usually when we buy a shining new whistle, we want it very much to be great, and so we write shining reviews; later, we may change our opinion, but the review stays.

I think the general feeling is that the "canonic" reviews are the ones in the C&F main site.

But this is a good idea. Maybe we could have a forum just for reviews? Someone would have to moderate it and delete any non-review threads.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

A separate board for reviews is pants.

A sticky thread would be good, anything that links the views to a specific poster. Then anyone with a bit of sense can read up and understand where people are coming from.
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes Glauber, I thought about a review forum as well, but I don't think most will want to go to separate forum, and I'm not really suggesting reviews or "Good" "Bad" postings for this sticky thread, rather that it be restricted to people offering comparisions of multiple whistles with their relative pro's and cons. I really like what Jessie did in her post: Concise summaries leaving each instrument stand on it's merits.

Obviously, to make such a thing work, people need to refrain from bashing, or alternately advertising/act as a mouthpiece for any maker(s), but certain behaviours aren't tolerated here anyway, so I think it could work.

Loren

P.S. I have to sign off for the next couple days (no pc access during the holiday) so I'll rejoin this thread, or look for it's dead carcass :lol: on Friday or Saturday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I'd agree - a sticky thread would be a big help.

"Good Whistle" is a pretty amorphous concept, really.

There is probably a minimum set of things we'd all agree on (consistency, being in tune for one of "just" or "equal" temperments, doesn't fall apart in your hands) but beyond that there are a lot of variables that are mostly personal taste:

Handmade vs Factory
Maker's reputation
quality of finish ("rustic" vs "jewelry quality", ???)
easy blower vs backpressure
volume
balance
voicing - (chiffy/breathy vs more pure, very pure vs complex, ???)
wood vs metal vs plastic
brass vs everything else
"heavy/sturdy" vs light

After a while, you'd start to get a feel:

"Bloomfield prefers complex-toned, well-balanced whistles with at least moderate backpressure; in particular, he's fond of Overtons"

or

"Jessie prefers purer-toned, non-brass, whistles that are well-finished and not too heavy"

are both ridiculous oversimplifications (and sorry if I've put words in either of your mouths) but I usually keep something like that in mind when I read a review of a whistle. And if I'm looking for a whistle with certain characteristics, a player who favors that sound is likely to have more useful things to say about the choices available.
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

DCrom wrote:After a while, you'd start to get a feel:

"Bloomfield prefers complex-toned, well-balanced whistles with at least moderate backpressure; in particular, he's fond of Overtons"
Actually, I prefer buxom co-eds. :P
/Bloomfield
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I think the sticky is a good idea. Besides the comments/reviews of individuals it should include links to sound samples that are not electronically enhanced of the various whistles. I like to hear a fast tune and a slow air so I can see how they compare. Another item that should be included is the approximate price. I don't care how great a whistle is if it is $400 it is not going to be my whistle. I haven't heard a whistle yet that sounded 50 times better than a Generation D.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ditto for sticky. For all my posts and time spent here, I can't get the search function to work for specific inquiries. You could have one just for Burke customers. Brass or al, narrow or Pro, etc etc. Crom made a good start.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?