air whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

air whistle?

Post by Miwokhill »

On Joanie Madden's album Song of the Irish Whistle there's a track which has The Otter's Nest and Richie Dwyer's. It says it has high and low whistles as well as "air whistle". The sound is quite muted a little like playing a guitar while damping the strings. You can make out the melody though. Is this the air whistle and is it a train type whistle or a regular whistle that has been muted somehow? It sounds pretty cool whatever it is but I'm hoping someone knows what's creating that sound? -mike
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: air whistle?

Post by Wanderer »

Miwokhill wrote:On Joanie Madden's album Song of the Irish Whistle there's a track which has The Otter's Nest and Richie Dwyer's. It says it has high and low whistles as well as "air whistle". The sound is quite muted a little like playing a guitar while damping the strings. You can make out the melody though. Is this the air whistle and is it a train type whistle or a regular whistle that has been muted somehow? It sounds pretty cool whatever it is but I'm hoping someone knows what's creating that sound? -mike
I think I read an interview where she said she took the whistle out of her mouth and just blew into it from afar, or something like that...
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I see... it does sound like that- thanks for the feedback Wanderer! -mike
G.Ycas

Post by G.Ycas »

It sounded to me very much like playing a whistle as a fife, blowing across the windway.
ctladies
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and I love to play the whistle! I met Dale and now he is the main man of whistlers. I can't wait to get back on the road again as this coronavirus is the worst!

air whistle

Post by ctladies »

Hi,

I placed the whistle under my lower lip and blew down to create that sound. It was a process I found out while playing the whistle while I watched tv with the family - it didn't annoy them as much!

Good luck,
Joanie Madden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: air whistle

Post by brewerpaul »

ctladies wrote:Hi,

I placed the whistle under my lower lip and blew down to create that sound. It was a process I found out while playing the whistle while I watched tv with the family - it didn't annoy them as much!

Good luck,
Joanie Madden
Yeah, this really works well. I've played a whistle this way with my wife sleeping about 15 feet away and she never stirred. Great for apartment dwellers, dorm residents, etc.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

wow, isn't it cool that joanie looks in here every now and then! :)
Say joanie, a while ago you wrote, asking what we would like in your new album, have you decided?
best, amar. :)
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow. thanks! I'd wondered about that "air whistle" designation, too.
Have heard Paul mention that technique.
rh

Post by rh »

emmline wrote:Wow. thanks! I'd wondered about that "air whistle" designation, too.
when i saw the thread title i pictured a bunch of drunk guys at a party jumping around and wiggling their fingers in front of their faces while listening to flook...
there is no end to the walking
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

rh wrote:
when i saw the thread title i pictured a bunch of drunk guys at a party jumping around and wiggling their fingers in front of their faces while listening to flook...
Well, yeah, ok...

But we all do that don't we? I mean...

we do, don't we?

Oh - is it just me then? :oops:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

wow is right! Thank you Joanie. -mike
emmline

Post by emmline »

brewerpaul wrote:

Good luck,
Joanie Madden
Yeah, this really works well. I've played a whistle this way with my wife sleeping about 15 feet away and she never stirred. Great for apartment dwellers, dorm residents, etc.
Question for Paul, Joanie, or anyone else who knows:
That technique seems to require more than the usual amount of wind, and is largely inaudible...can you describe more precisely how the whistle is placed?
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I can't answer your question emmline but I thought that as well after trying out the technique. I wonder if the difference is that the almost inaudible whistle is miked to make it... audible? --mike
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

emmline wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:

Good luck,
Joanie Madden
Question for Paul, Joanie, or anyone else who knows:
That technique seems to require more than the usual amount of wind, and is largely inaudible...can you describe more precisely how the whistle is placed?
Works great for me. Are you blowing 'down' enough? Kinda like you were fluting?
j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jay-eye wrote:
rh wrote:
Well, yeah, ok...

But we all do that don't we? I mean...

we do, don't we?

Oh - is it just me then? :oops:
This is the technique where I sound the best.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"