whistles in Ireland during my 3 weeks

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

whistles in Ireland during my 3 weeks

Post by blackhawk »

I just got back from 3 weeks in Ireland. I know, or knew, that the Irish favor Generations, Waltons, etc. So my very informal whistle survey surprised me.

In Dingle, no one in any of the pubs was playing whistles. The only whistle I saw was being played by a busker. I was on the way out to the pubs when I walked by him and I was blown away by how well he was playing. After making a tour of the pubs and finding no one whistling, I went back and the busker was still there so I stood and listened a while. His playing was as good as any I've ever heard. He was playing a black whistle and the lighting wasn't good so I couldn't tell what brand it was. When he took a break we talked a while and I was surprised to find he was playing a Susato D. He said he's been playing since he was eleven years old (he's now in his late 40's) and that the Susato is the best brand of whistle he's ever run across.

I went out to listen to music in Clonakilty and really enjoyed it but the only wind instrument being played was a flute (that guy was excellent, though...great evening all around).

In Kilkenny I went to Kytler's, where they have traditional music 6 nights a week. The band had a whistler who once again was setting the world on fire (imho). In talking to him afterward, I was once again surprised to find he was playing a Susato D.

In Dublin in the various pubs I saw two different whistlers playing...both were playing Susatos.

I saw a busker playing a Generation blue top D, but he wasn't playing Irish music. It was some kind of South American genre. He played well, though.

The only other whistles I saw were in Doolin. In McDermott's the whistle player in the band was (surprise) playing a Susato. At O'Connor's, the high whistle was an Abell blackwood D and the same guy was also playing Overton low D and F.

So, when I came across a music store, I bought...the new Dixon aluminum body D. I played Susatos in the store and they sounded just as harsh to me as always. The store where I bought it had stocked up before the fleadh (I have no idea when that was, but sounded like it was recent history there), buying 100 of the Dixons, and he only had a few left when I bought mine.

At the trad music store in Doolin, the owner said his customers were split down the middle between Dixon and Susato.

No regrets, I still love my Dixons, but I was really surprised by the percentage of Susatos being played in Ireland. Final tally: 5 Susatos, 1 Gen blue top, 1 Abell.
Last edited by blackhawk on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I've had more than a couple people tell me Susatos are popular in Ireland. I don't see why. *cringe*
Paul

Post by Paul »

Last year In Armagh we saw Seán Keane perform. He did some great whistle playing during the concert. After, I asked him what kind and he told me they were Susatos.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

guess they use em cuz they're loud.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Paul wrote:Last year In Armagh we saw Seán Keane perform. He did some great whistle playing during the concert. After, I asked him what kind and he told me they were Susatos.
Sean Keane the singer? One of the men responsible for the name of the tune "The Convenience Reel"? Last time I saw him (2002?) he was playing a Generation Bb, I think. Interesting if he has switched over to Susatos.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have two Susatos. They are loud, in tune, and almost indestructible. For buskers these are all important attributes. The tone takes some getting used to. Indoors, in the upper register, earplugs are a good idea. Outdoors, unamplified, Susatos are near the top of the heap.
+ Bill
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

amar wrote:guess they use em cuz they're loud.
Well, they also sound very good, when someone else is playing them (as opposed to me playing them. I bought one when I first started playing, and gave it away because it sounded so shrill. Then I went to see Lunasa for the first time and their Susatos sounded SO good that I bought another one...which I promptly gave away. Maybe I just wasn't pushing the volume enough to make it sound right. But my Dixons sound good even when played softly.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Were all the Susatos wide-bore (...not the newer narrow bore ones) ??

-Brett
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bretton wrote:Were all the Susatos wide-bore (...not the newer narrow bore ones) ??

-Brett
Yes, they were all the wide bore. Do the newer ones sound different?

--Plato
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Dang it I just gave mine away recently......
Had I known I actually loved it when I thought that I hated it......
Looks like I'll have to order another. sigh
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Welcome back. Glad you had a great time. You know now that I have read you exploits I understand why when I chat with folks from Ireland and ask them to send me a Tin/penny whistle or Irish whistle, they look as if puzzled on what I am requesting.

Could the Irish whistle be a myth like the Leprechauns. :roll:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

blackhawk wrote:
amar wrote:guess they use em cuz they're loud.
Well, they also sound very good, when someone else is playing them (as opposed to me playing them. I bought one when I first started playing, and gave it away because it sounded so shrill. Then I went to see Lunasa for the first time and their Susatos sounded SO good that I bought another one...which I promptly gave away. Maybe I just wasn't pushing the volume enough to make it sound right. But my Dixons sound good even when played softly.
I have to say that I didn't like my Susatos at all until I learned, out of desperation, to push them. I needed a loud whistle to play for dancers out of doors, my Susato Dublin was the loudest one I had (at the time), so I put it into play. I later found that, even indoors, it's a pretty nice whistle...it just doesn't like to be babied. It WANTS to be loud...play to that want, and it's not at all harsh.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

One time a few months ago, Mike K from Sausato told us that they were popular in Europe, but no one believed him.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

blackhawk wrote:
Bretton wrote:Were all the Susatos wide-bore (...not the newer narrow bore ones) ??

-Brett
yeah, the narrow bore do sound much sweeter, tis true.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

amar wrote:
blackhawk wrote:

-Brett
yeah, the narrow bore do sound much sweeter, tis true.
Good! I just ordered one yesterday (here I go again). :boggle:

--Plato