FS: Sweetheart Baroque Flute: Updated.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ken Johnson

FS: Sweetheart Baroque Flute: Updated.

Post by Ken Johnson »

Added 5 October:

I'm getting my ignorance brought to my attention. The majority of opinion seems to be that the solution to this problem is likely to be a standard repair of replacing the 'cork', or in the case of this instrument, waxed thread. I'd been assuming that some how the instrument had warped or changed shape during improper storage, (I don't know that it was stored improperly, I just didn't have any other explanation for it not being right.) and that repair might require changing hole sizes or something drastic. If this is a standard repair, well, I think I prefer to be passing on instruments in good condition rather than not. Please hold off on further replies while I figure out what the right thing to do is. Thanks.

===============================

I have a Sweetheart Baroque Flute, serial numbers 615 and 616. This is the one key flute with the extra middle joint which can be played at either A415 or A440. To my eye, this is a beautiful instrument, but four local players of the Baroque flute (gathered at a workshop) tell us this instrument is not in tune with itself. I can see no obvious damage to the instrument (cracks, splits, etc.) This flute resembles the current model, but without the contrasting rings seen in the picture at the Sweetheart web site. I offer it for the cost of shipping and handling to the person who makes the best sufficiently convincing case to me that they will make a serious effort to understand and remedy this problem.

Where this came from: My wife and I purchased much of a collection which had been gathered by a gentleman who was, so far as I can tell, a private player, collector, and amateur instrument maker. My wife was interested in the recorders and capped reeds. This is one of the pieces that was part of the deal.

In accord with the Chiff and Fipple policy, contact me off-board at contact-point@pobox.com. Do not reply to this post. Thank you.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'd recommend getting in touch with the maker, Ralph Sweet. My first flute was a sweetheart, and I bought my second (an antique flute) from him. I've found him to be entirely helpful, and who'd know his flutes better?

Sweetheart Flute Company
32 South Maple Street, Enfield, CT 06082 (860) 749-4494 ralphsweet@aol.com.
artsohio
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

The majority of opinion seems to be that the solution to this problem is likely to be a standard repair of replacing the 'cork', or in the case of this instrument, waxed thread.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that people who have told you to "replace the cork" meant to replace the cork that plugs the left end of the head joint of the flute. If it has become unseated, it will make the flute be out of tune with itself.

By waxed thread I think you mean at the tenon. Sometimes there is cork there. Problems with it would mean the flute is too hard to put together or too loose once it is together. I don't think that would cause inheret tuning problems although it might cause physical problems during the act of tuning.

Of course, what do I know? I might be totally off base, feel free to set me straight :)
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Janet posted my thoughts exactly (and without my permission! Harrumph!).

Seriously, though, that's probably what they meant. Moving the cork can make an instrument out-of-tune with itself.

Other things could be wrong, too, though.

As a general rule, the cork should be one-headjoint-diameter from the center of the embouchure hole. Meaning, if the inside diameter of the instrument is 19mm, then the cork should be 19mm from the middle of the embouchure. That's at least a good place to start.

Stuart
glauber

Post by glauber »

It could be a lot of things. Baroque flutes are never completely in tune with themselves. Or, you could also say, they're only in tune with themselves. :)

Baroque flute players are very particular about what flute they play (e.g.: typical Baroqye player will say something like "i play a G. W. P. Fleckendorfer copy of a P. D. Q. Scnhitenshklut flute of 1736 in boxwood, at A=413.7"). On the other hand, if you ask Ralph Sweet what kind of Baroque flute he makes, he says something like "heck, i don't know, i just copied from some flutes that i had around". This just doesn't cut it with the Baroque crowd, so this flute has a low reputation among players.

Also the fact that it has 2 middle joints but no moveable stopper (cork) or foot register, means that it can't really be in tune with both joints. Mine used to be best in tune with the shorter joint (A=440), but not really perfect with either.

The thing is, all this is perfectly normal and expected. In truth, it's not a great flute, but it's not horrible either. It was a good starter flute for me. I had to sell it to buy something else, but i didn't feel terrible about selling it to another beginner. ;)

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Ken Johnson

Sweetheart Baroque Flute "Sold"

Post by Ken Johnson »

The implied commitment of making this offer taking precedence over my esthetic preference for passing on working instruments, I have awarded the flute to an instrument maker who wishes to study it. Thanks to all for your thoughtful and informative communications and replies.

Next time I need to remember to ask first, then act. It's OK, though. I think the flute will have a good home.
glauber

Post by glauber »

There's nothing wrong about giving away an instrument to someone who'll enjoy it. It's an ancient and noble tradition.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--