A question on price

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NZ_Chris

A question on price

Post by NZ_Chris »

After some months of grumbling (mainly to myself) about the fact that none of the music shops around these parts seem to stock anything but Generations, I finally found not one but TWO exceptions. One of the big music shops I haven't been to for a while has now got Susatos, and I discovered a little out of the way shop that sells Feadogs and the Guiness whistle.

My question is one of relative cost. The Feadogs and Guiness are all about $15 NZ but the Susatos are $60-180 NZ. The C&F page on inexpensive whistles sort of suggested that maybe the Susatos should be / could be up to twice the cost of the others, but not four times.

My question is, have the Susatos gone up in price lately? Or should I just assume that the bigger store is placing a bigger markup on their stock?
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

A single Susato high D whislte should only be about 30 NZ Dollars.

You can order them online here:

http://www.susato.com

-Brett
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

Thanks for that Brett... I weakened and bought the Feadog D already (a nice bright red one - should help me play fast :D ) and I will probably get the Walton's Guiness (for playing while drinking beer I guess :D ) in the next couple of weeks ... then if my fiancee hasn't locked me up for my WhoA I will look into the Susato ...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The NZ dollar is pretty close to 2/3 of a US dollar, it looks like.

As Bretton said, a non-tuneable Susato (Dublin model) should be ~$30 NZ for a high D

The tunables (Kildare model) run about half again as much. Figure around $45 NZ for a Kildare D.

If you are buying several whistles at once, it may be cheaper to order them from the US, since shipping 1 or half a dozen whistles costs about the same.

But I've no idea about the customs duties you'll be paying - it may be that when you factor in shipping and customs your local shop is actually giving you a fair price.

You may also want to consider ordering a Syn from Australia - they cost about $35-40 here in the US, but it may actually be cheaper than a Susato in New Zealand (do you charge duty on Australian products?). Darn good whistles, too.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Hi Chris,
you're not the Chris from the Morris Group are you? One of the military style drums I did is still doing the rounds of NZ with a Morris group (still going, two heads later). Send a pm if I can help with what some people think might be a decent whistle, and at a comparable price to what they charge over there for a susato.
Cheers
So good it has to be a SYN!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I hoped the topic was Vincent Price. Sigh. :P :-? :roll: :sniffle: :moreevil: :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

syn whistles wrote:Hi Chris,
you're not the Chris from the Morris Group are you? One of the military style drums I did is still doing the rounds of NZ with a Morris group (still going, two heads later). Send a pm if I can help with what some people think might be a decent whistle, and at a comparable price to what they charge over there for a susato.
Cheers
Do contact Mr. Syn. He makes a great aluminum set and high D and C in Lancewood. His whistles displaced my wifes favorite whistle she had for over a year!!!! :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I agree that you should contact Mr Syn.

He's pretty fast making them, and his whistles are really good value for money. They're not the most refined-looking, but they play well and reliably, and that's most impt, at the end of the day. He's especially good for when you want more unusual keys.
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

syn whistles wrote:Hi Chris,
Cheers
Nope - not the Chris from the Morris Group .... :D
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

geek4music wrote:I hoped the topic was Vincent Price. Sigh. :P :-? :roll: :sniffle: :moreevil: :boggle:
Oh ok then ... who played the Abominable Doctor Phibes in the movie of the same name? :D