Cathal McConnell's low key flute is what key ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cathal McConnell's low key flute is what key ?

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi folks,

I drifted over from the whistle forum, and I like it here! You talk about the mysterious flute, and it is starting to get to me! Ahh...the Dark Side!
I play mostly low D whistle, that's what I favor over the higher keys, and like slow airs mostly in ITM.

I've picked up and tried a few Irish flutes at a music store, and have had reasonable success with them after awhile. I haven't bought one yet, but I feel the pull!

Here's the rub. I have Cathal McConnell's cd 'Long Expectant Comes At Last', and he plays a lower keyed flute as backup on the tune 'The Flower of Finae', which is beautiful in itself. I REALLY like the sound of that lower keyed flute, and wondered if anyone could tell me what key they believe it to be.

I know in all practicality, that it would be best to start out on the D flute, with all the music, but it seems this lower flute fits the music well for slow airs. It got me thinking about starting with the lower key. There are probably less flutes available and they will most likely be more expensive than the regular D also, but I would like to hear from people who have a better idea than I about this.

So, if you have any input, I would appreciate hearing it, and if someone has the recording, and a good ear, I would like to know the key of his low flute.

My first choice for a regular D flute would be a Casey Burns (not Casey Jones! :P ) Folk that has the ergonomic holes, it just makes sense. I have some wrist/arthritis issues that I believe would benefit in that regard.
So, HELP! Let me know what you all think. Thank you!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Particularly if you've got some wrist/arthritis issues, it'll be a lot better for you to learn on a D and not a lower-pitched flute (like a Bb, which is probably the most common). Even for people with large hands, holding the big flutes is really tiring at first, and it's never as easy as holding the D (or Eb, for that matter). Lower flutes are generally harder to play as well, and I think if you're starting out and trying to teach yourself, it's just not worth it to mess with the lower flutes.

I don't have the recording you're asking about, but it could very well be that the flute in question is in Bb.

If you've got your heart set on starting on a low flute, then I think you ought to consider a Siccama-style instrument (Terry McGee, for one, makes these). It has keywork that effectively allows the holes to be in a more sonically-correct position but easier for the hands to reach. I think they're the only practical way to get a more ergonomic Bb, since you can only do so much with the holes themselves.

But . . . particularly if you've got arthritis and/or wrist things . . . I think you might be frustrated with a low instrument. Add to that the fact that they require more skill to blow, and I think you'd be setting yourself up for some disappointment. Just my opinion!

Stuart
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, it's Bb
AaronMalcomb

Re: Cathal McConnell's low key flute is what key ?

Post by AaronMalcomb »

greenspiderweb wrote:My first choice for a regular D flute would be a Casey Jones Folk that has the ergonomic holes, it just makes sense. I have some wrist/arthritis issues that I believe would benefit in that regard.
So, HELP! Let me know what you all think. Thank you!
I'm guessing you mean Casey Burns (I'd hate to think what Casey Jones would do with a flute :boggle: ). He makes an ergonomic Bb as well.

But a D flute is the best place to start not just for finger stretch but for embouchure too. I'm guessing you use pipers' grip on low whistles and Casey Burns can make a flute to fit that grip.

Cheers,
Aaron
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cathal McConnell's low key flute is what key ?

Post by greenspiderweb »

Edited way down the pike!: I just recently discovered what the mysterious low flute is on Cathal's recording, and who is playing it!

It's an Alto (low G) Boehm flute (by Altus) and played by Joanie Madden, none the less! I listened to the recording again, now almost 4 years later and I could hear that it sounded like an silver alto flute, and sure enough-the LINER NOTES say so too, and also give Joanie credit for the track!!! Duh!!!

Just in case someone else digs this up on a search, they will know the flute actually is an Alto Boehm, and not a Bb as indicated before. I still love the sound too!

AaronMalcomb wrote: I'm guessing you mean Casey Burns (I'd hate to think what Casey Jones would do with a flute :boggle: ). He makes an ergonomic Bb as well.
:lol: Sure, Casey Jones makes ergonomic flutes! They just don't fit everyone. Some say they're a wreck! :wink:

Thanks guys, that's all helpful. It's good to know it's a Bb, thanks Jim. And thanks Stuart and Aaron, you have some good points for starting out on the D. I kind of figured that, not necessarily for those reasons, but I just wanted some advice from people who knew why! The embouchure is a real good reason,(harder on the lower Bb) and the tiring aspect of starting to play any flute from just holding it there, to the finger stretch on the Bb.

Great, thanks for all the good advice! Too bad Casey Burns doesn't live around the corner from me, I would like to try a Bb though, just to see! I'll probably end up with Casey's Folk Flute, for all the good reasons.
~~~~
Barry