How do you play the Vibrato technique on the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

There's a song called "Kevin Barry" that I'm wanting to learn but it has Vibrato in it and I'm not sure how to do it - can anyone explain what you do?

Thanks,
Sara

Imagine peace, demand peace, be peace
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

To play vibrato in traditional or early music, you quickly cover and uncover (vibrate your finger on) a lower hole or holes -- so that it just changes the pitch a tad, or even just changes the timbre. Which holes work best (or even whether this technique works) depends on your whistle. My Susato low-D plays the most wonderful vibrato, say playing an A and doing vibrato on the D and E holes.

If playing an E, you need to kind of shake your finger over the D hole without much covering it. This actually works for all notes but is more difficult, at least for me. With some whistles this is the only technique that works.

Charlie
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Hi Sara,
There are two most common ways to do a vibrato on a whistle.
1. Finger vibrato: Play a note (say, G). Using the finger 2 holes lower ("E" or 5th finger down) very quickly bounce that finger up and down as if you were doing a trill. Some people use different fingers for the vibrato note, but whatever you like the sound of is what to do.
2. Diaphragm vibrato: Play a note and while holding the note, quickly increase and decrease the breath pressure - sort of like
hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo with an accent on the "h".
At first it might sound like a train, but with practice you can get it to sound musical. Hope this is not too confusing!
Sue
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Something that works for me, especially if I want narrow and/or rapid vibrato, is simply to shake the whistle as I blow.

Slan,
BB

"Rock and reel, hootchie koo." - Rick O'Derringer
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-01-17 21:01, Sara wrote:
There's a song wanting [...] but it has
Imagine peace, demand peace, be peace
Vibrato is completely optional so it's not required to for any song or tune really, it's an extra that you can take or leave

Are rebel songs compatible with peace??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-01-18 04:28 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html

Check out Brother Steve's advice on Vibrato.

I agree with Peter and B Steve that vibrato is definitely optional, and often overused.

Not too many croutons in the soup please!
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks for the suggestions - the first one I tried was where I shake the whistle and it worked! I'm going to try the others later. Or I may just leave it out - if it's not totally necessary. Thanks again! :smile:
On 2002-01-18 02:32, Peter Laban wrote:

Are rebel songs compatible with peace??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-01-18 04:28 ]</font>
Peter Laban,
What do you mean? Are you talking about Imagine? I reckon that yes, a rebel song can be compatible with peace. Imagine is a song about peace - and just because it's considered a rebel song doesn't mean it's bad - what's your opinion on it?

Peace,
Sara
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Sara,
I think Peter L was referring to the fact that Kevin Barry is a rebel song, not "Imagine". As you know the rebels in Ireland for a long time have been engaged in killing the English and vice versa. That's what Kevin Barry and many other rebel songs are about: killing and war of opressed against opressors. That's why Peter asks why you want to learn Kevin Barry when you put "peace" in you sig and every post. I think you just might like to learn it for the tune, and that is ok, I guess. But Peter would be justified in pointing out that these tunes and songs don't exist in a vaccum but in a historical and social context that is not always pleasant or peaceful.

Best,
/Bloomfield
Sara

Post by Sara »

I'm sorry I misunderstood what he said - I do see his point quite well. I guess it would be hypocritical of me to like that song since I do stress peace so much, but your right, I wanted to learn it for the tune only. Thanks for bringing that to my attention - if I'm going to believe in something, like peace, I can't be a hypocrite and say "even though it's about war, it's okay."

Peace,
Sara
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

don't think more of it than a friendly poke, these songs, this one and the rising of the moon are part of a large group of rebel songs that have been much abused for the making heroic of ugly things.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

FWIW, I think it takes a little more than playing rebel songs to make a hypocrite. Learning, playing, and singing the songs is not the same thing as waging war. While some of the rebel songs are just battle cries, many express the view and the feeling of one side or the other and that is important and wholesome. Folksongs are the most powerful tool for conveying the human, personal impact of social and historical events and struggles. So, I would suggest you take a middle road: learn what songs and tunes you like, but respect the Tradition by learning about their sources and the people who wrote and played them. An open, balanced view is more conducive to peace than clinging to principles.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield, I recommend reading the article about the demise of that icon of Rebel Music The Wolftones which appeared in the Irish Times last saturday week (this should be accessible through http://www.ireland.com
Sara

Post by Sara »

True, I guess just because you learn a song for the tune, doesn't mean you support it. I do need to take more time and learn the history of the songs I learn - especially in Irish music, because almost every song has a story behind it - in my quest to learn music and the pennywhistle, the history of the music is just as important. That's quite true - the reason many wars are started is because people won't be open-minded enough to consider anyone else's views and principles. If everyone had an open mind I think peace would be a more common thing.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

In concert, my band always helps the audience to understand the historical and emotional roots of the music we play. People never cease to be moved by songs such as 'Ned of the Hill' and 'Fire in the Glen.' These and hundreds of others have a shocking history that humankind must strive never to repeat.

Peace to all.
Byll
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Sara, perspective on these matters can depend on what side of the Atlantic you are.

I recently overheard a singer from Belfast, who came to Canada to get away from the troubles, delivering a friendly but extremely forceful reprimand to a young Canadian who likes to affect a rebel personality and sing gung-ho rebel songs in public.

I think his main point was that the young man had no inkling of the resonance that these songs could generate in the ears of casual listeners.

I'd say, wherever your sympathies lie, tread very carefully with songs of this type. After all, it's entirely possible that someone in the audience may have friends or family who have been killed, maimed or bereaved.