Michael Hubbert

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Michael Hubbert

Post by Hornpiper »

I mentioned this on my previous thread, but just in case no one answers it there, I'm wondering if anyone has any commentary on Michael Hubbert's work? I'm considering one of his 1/2 sets - never actually heard his pipes before though. How do they sound? Are they durable? In tune? Do they have the 'nyaa'? :D Might they compare to any other famous makers' sound? I realize of course that it's all in the reed, but I'm really curious... anyone know of any sound samples? I've seen pictures - they certainly look beautiful! Any info at all would be greatly appreciated

Ben
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Typed "Hubbert" into "search" above. Here's a couple links, but there's more. Ted and Quinn both are quoted here praising Michael's work.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ert#118948

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ert#122803
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

His pipes are absolutely top knotch.

Patrick.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Whoa, a reply from the venerable Mr. D'Arcy! I'm so honored!!

I'm serious - I'm new to the C&F board and am a HUGE fan of your website - thanks for such a great resource, and for your $.02.

Have you played Hubbert's pipes? How do they sound? Consistent? Durable? Clear, rich, soulful chanter? Powerful drones?

I know, I know - it's all in the reed :D

I'm just curious - Stuart referred him to me and said he was great, but I wanted some other opinions.

Thanks again!
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Thanks Hornpiper :) Glad you enjoy the website :) I'm venerable... better tell the wife... she might have a cure :-?

Michael Hubbert's work is beautiful. His pipes work and sound fabulous. There are atleast two full sets in the So Cal Pipers Club. One in acid stained boxwood and the other in ebony. They are both absolutely beautiful and perfectly in tune. Michael Hubberts rep is amazing. He is one of the most saught after period bassoon, flute and woodwind makers and restorers. Our good fortune is that he has had a relationship with the pipes since the 70's, if not the 60's? The two full sets I've seen from him are in D, both with a medium sized bore. This allows for a sweet yet strong tone. If you are looking for a loud set of pipes these probably wouldn't be for you... they are elagent and very well made. I've also seen a B chanter and C chanter from him. Both exquisite. I would compare his wormanship to David Quinn's.... high praise indeed.

Good luck,

Patrick.
No E

Post by No E »

And by the way... The esteemed Mr. Hubbert (as well as the esteemed Mssrs. Koehler and Quinn) will be attending the SoCal Tionól, Oct. 22-24, so come see for youself! details at http://www.socalpipers.com

No E
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Don't forget Martin Preshaw and Michael Burke too :)

PD.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Hey Patrick, I was checking out the sound samples on the SCUPC site - are any of them of you? Who else is playing? What sorts of pipes are they?
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Yes, most of them are Michael Eskin though. I play on the Humours of Ennistymon and Pat Wards Jig anyway.... remember these were recorded for educational purposes! I think it's me on Paddy Fahy's Jig and The Queen of the Rushes too, they're a good few years old now!

I am playing my old Lambe set on the earlier ones. I was playing the Lambe set with a Martin Preshaw chanter on the more recent ones. Michael Eskin plays a Kirk Lynch D set on these.

Take care,

Patrick.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

No E wrote:And by the way... The esteemed Mr. Hubbert (as well as the esteemed Mssrs. Koehler and Quinn) will be attending the SoCal Tionól, Oct. 22-24, so come see for youself! details at http://www.socalpipers.com

No E
Shameless advertising!!! :P

See you there,

Justine
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Here's the link to Michael's page, that I am hosting for him:

http://homepage.mac.com/photomorphose/hubbert.html

Michael makes a really nice chanter, and I would suggest getting in touch with him, calling him up and talking to him. Get him to play them for you on the phone, which he will gladly do. Also, if there's any way that you can make the SoCal Tionol, to meet him and hear his pipes first had, then by all means do it.

I have a beautiful 3 keyed chanter from him, but (and this is just my own personal inexperienced experience) I did have problems with the reed, which is not made by him, but by Michael O'Donovan. I also had problems with several additional reeds sent to me. Now, understand, I think the reeds are made for the west coast climate, and not for the Midwest, where I live, and are subject to those limitations.

But I am the first to admit that it was probably my complete ignorance of reed adjustment at the time.

The chanter that I have was pronounced by several pipers in California, as being a really superb chanter, with a great tone.
No E

Post by No E »

feadogin wrote:
No E wrote:And by the way... The esteemed Mr. Hubbert (as well as the esteemed Mssrs. Koehler and Quinn) will be attending the SoCal Tionól, Oct. 22-24, so come see for youself! details at http://www.socalpipers.com

No E
Shameless advertising!!! :P

See you there,

Justine
I see it as more of a public service (not disputing the shameless aspect) :lol:

-Larry
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Larry would never put in a shameless marketing plug for the So CaL Pipers Tionol on Oct 22 through the 24 on this forum.

See you then-Fel
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

elbogo wrote:Here's the link to Michael's page, that I am hosting for him:

http://homepage.mac.com/photomorphose/hubbert.html

Michael makes a really nice chanter, and I would suggest getting in touch with him, calling him up and talking to him. Get him to play them for you on the phone, which he will gladly do. Also, if there's any way that you can make the SoCal Tionol, to meet him and hear his pipes first had, then by all means do it.

I have a beautiful 3 keyed chanter from him, but (and this is just my own personal inexperienced experience) I did have problems with the reed, which is not made by him, but by Michael O'Donovan. I also had problems with several additional reeds sent to me. Now, understand, I think the reeds are made for the west coast climate, and not for the Midwest, where I live, and are subject to those limitations.

But I am the first to admit that it was probably my complete ignorance of reed adjustment at the time.

The chanter that I have was pronounced by several pipers in California, as being a really superb chanter, with a great tone.
Hi elbogo,

Did you have any pipers out your way [Pat Cannady?] check it out and try to get the reed going better for you? The reeds made here should work better in more humid climbs.

Patrick.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Patrick, I couldn't get anyone here to tamper with the reed. But, Canaday is playing in a couple weeks at my 60th birthday party, so maybe i broach the subject with him.

ieee! 6o years have passed!

Humid climates, yes, and it is usually dry as hell here, with wild swings, all year round, and mostly cold.