Famous Pipers and their Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mukade
antispam: No

Famous Pipers and their Pipes

Post by mukade »

I was watching the recent Planxty DVD again today. In the talk before Andy Irvine's song 'My Heart Belongs in Ireland,’ Liam O'Flynn mentions that his pipes once belonged to Willie Clancy. This made me start to wonder about other famous pipers and their pipes.

I have seen famous player's pipes mentioned occasionally here, but it would be nice see a list of what pipes people are playing, or have played.

To start the ball rolling, does anyone know who made the C chanter Liam plays on Arthur McBride in the recent concerts?

This is pure curiosity, so post away :lol:

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I think Mr Rogge could be top of the list or (2) either Geoff Wooff or Alain Froment, certainly three of todays big makers, "but" I'd put my money on
Mr Rogge, Its certainly is the best C chanter I've heard played up till today no doudt about that, I think its the same chanter he plays on "the pipers call" CD, track seven, certainly is something else but don't forget who's playing it, Liam O'Flynn a master piper. say no more!. :thumbsup: 8)
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Don't know about Liam O's chanter, but...

Paddy Keenan--Dave Williams (K&Q Chanter)
Brian McNamara--Geoff Wooff (C)/ K&Q (D)
Jimmy O'Brien-Moran--Colgan (B--previously owned by Sean Reid)
Ronan Browne--Harrington (B)/ self manufactured (D)
Gay McKeon--Cillian O Briain
Mick O'Brien--Alain Froment (B & Bb)/ Willie Rowsome (D)
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

The flat chanter Liam is playing on the Planxty DVD is a Koekler & Quinn. Maybe DMQ could tell us more about this?

Patrick.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Koekler eh? Not many of those about!

Ted
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

None other than Mr Koehler himself. Will someone please buy him something like this?

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
DMQuinn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DMQuinn »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:The flat chanter Liam is playing on the Planxty DVD is a Koehler & Quinn. Maybe DMQ could tell us more about this?

Patrick.
He does have one of our C chanters, the one BK and I call "The Ugly Daughter." Whether it is the one he is playing on this recording, I can't say. I haven't seen or heard the recording.

Would the Rev. Father D'Arcy tell us if he was able to make a positive visual identification of it?
mukade

Post by mukade »

Paul Reid wrote:None other than Mr Koehler himself. Will someone please buy him something like this?

A chanter with an integrated beer tap? Now that would fetch a high price on Ebay.

Mukade
mukade

Post by mukade »

To answer my own query. I was looking through my uilleann links and I found these pictures on young piper Eliot Grasso's page.

Robbie Hannan has a Kenna B set, which I had the pleasure of hearing live 10 years ago in Northumberland. I have a great video, taken by Joe Crane, of that performance in the Chantry Museum. He always seems to play it with the bass regulator removed, as does Sean Og Potts.
http://www.angelfire.com/md/UilleannPip ... Hpipes.jpg (of course that's Eliot, not a young Robbie :) )

Mikie Smyth plays a Woof C#
http://www.angelfire.com/md/UilleannPip ... csharp.jpg

Sean Og Potts - Plumwood Rogge B. He plays a couple of great jigs on the Mad for Trad tutor CD.

Eliot also has a Rogge B
http://www.angelfire.com/md/UilleannPip ... gefull.JPG

EDIT:

Whoops Angelfire doesn't allow links to pictures. You'll just have to click them from Eliots page. Angelfire is popuporama, turn your filters on.
http://www.angelfire.com/md/UilleannPipes/gallery.html

Mukade
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Robbie plays a Rogge chanter on his B set and I was in Andreas'workshop some years back when he had just finished Liam O Flynns chanter and I had a chance to try it there.Beautiful instrument.
Martin Nolan plays a Rogge and then of course there is the (in)famous me!!! :wink:
Slan Go Foill
Liam
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

mukade wrote: Eliot also has a Rogge B

Mukade
Elliot recently took delivery of the Wooff B he had been waiting for for several years.
mukade

Post by mukade »

DMQuinn wrote:
Patrick D'Arcy wrote:The flat chanter Liam is playing on the Planxty DVD is a Koehler & Quinn. Maybe DMQ could tell us more about this?

Patrick.
He does have one of our C chanters, the one BK and I call "The Ugly Daughter." Whether it is the one he is playing on this recording, I can't say. I haven't seen or heard the recording.

Would the Rev. Father D'Arcy tell us if he was able to make a positive visual identification of it?
Here are a couple of shots of that chanter:

Could this be the Ugly Daughter?

Mukade
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

mukade wrote:Could this be the Ugly Daughter?

Mukade
No doubt about it. That is she.

We call it the Ugly Daughter because it was the only one we ever made from a wood called Sacau. A shot in the dark. The wood is not much to look at, and it smells like stale buttered popcorn when it's being worked.

The chanter was in the shop when Liam visited, he was quite taken with it, and so he took it with him.
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

If you go to the Tara music site you will see Liam playing this old looking set in Mukades picture "but" not with the K&Q chanter :-? , on the video clip, the pipers call ,he is playing the oringinal chanter which was made for the set, a black ebony chanter with silver top, Video clip, Muineira de Poio, featureing Carlos Nunez, I think you may find that set, is an old set with a Froment chanter, or it maybe an early Alain Froment set. :wink:
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

stew wrote:If you go to the Tara music site you will see Liam playing this old looking set in Mukades picture "but" not with the K&Q chanter :-? , on the video clip, the pipers call ,he is playing the oringinal chanter which was made for the set, a black ebony chanter with silver top, Video clip, Muineira de Poio, featureing Carlos Nunez, I think you may find that set, is an old set with a Froment chanter, or it maybe an early Alain Froment set. :wink:
That is Sean Reid's famous Leo Rowsome set. Liam inherited it possibly? He just popped in the K&Q chanter for the tune he needed the flat chanter on.... Little Musgrave was it?

Patrick.