Dead Space

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dead Space

Post by Tyghress »

So the kitchen building project creeps on. I fretted for so long that it didn't seem to ever get started, then boom, I got the hole dug, basement poured, walls and roof in place...even windows and the door, AC, rough wiring and light fixtures.

Then of course things ground to a halt again, and I found that I had TWO magnificent practice areas. The basement was sonically the brightest space I'd ever played in...better even than the bathroom with its tile and porcelain. The not-yet-a-kitchen, wasn't QUITE as bright, and had the advantage of windows and the smell of wood. I even went as far as to invite some friends over to play music here in my not-yet-a-kitchen.

Well, yesterday the insulators came, and now the kitchen is like playing inside a marshmallow. Dead dead dead. Deader than that. Its depressing.

The only saving grace is that we're doing the flooring in tiles, counter in granite. I should (eventually) have a good room for playing music, especially considering that its seperate enough from the rest of the house that I won't wake the macaw or the Tyghre during the day while I'm practicing and they're sleeping.

So where do you get the best sound in your home?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Kitchen.

About 15 feet square, nine foot high ceiling, ceramic tile floor, no curtains.

Best wishes,
Jerry
DCrom

Re: Dead Space

Post by DCrom »

Tyghress wrote:The only saving grace is that we're doing the flooring in tiles, counter in granite. I should (eventually) have a good room for playing music, especially considering that its seperate enough from the rest of the house that I won't wake the macaw or the Tyghre during the day while I'm practicing and they're sleeping.

So where do you get the best sound in your home?
My living room. Hardwood floor, vaulted ceiling. The only downside is that I can't use it when my daughters are practicing piano - it's connected by a large open pass-through to the family room, where the piano sits.

"Wake the Macaw" sounds like a good name for a tune, actually. :D
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Bathroom, lying on the floor next to the toilet.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jeff Guevin wrote:Bathroom, lying on the floor next to the toilet.
So Jeff, how did you find yourself in THAT position??? :twisted:

I like playing out on our deck that overlooks the fairway. That way our neighbors can hear me play too. I even get compliments once in a while!!! :D

When we move to Idaho and get our house built I will play on the deck that overlooks the year round stream.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

:lol: I'm with Jeff. The bathroom is definately the best place in my house to play because the acustics are so awesome (of course, my practice time keeps getting interrupted in there *sigh*
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Jeff Guevin wrote:Bathroom, lying on the floor next to the toilet.
I've been there once or twice.
Usually singing Danny Boy.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

NorCalMusician wrote:So Jeff, how did you find yourself in THAT position??? :twisted:
dubhlinn wrote:I've been there once or twice.
Usually singing Danny Boy.
NorCal, looks like dubhlinn already figured out the answer!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Jeff said
Bathroom, lying on the floor next to the toilet.
I've been in that position, just after calling God, Ralph!

Oh God....Rrrrapppllllhhhhhhhhh!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Sorry, Tyg, but I just HAD to ask!!!

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I have high valted ceilings and hardwood floors in my living-room, which is a good sound; but the real reverb chamber in my house is at the top of the stairs. These stairs are hardwood with plain walls and a stone landing. From the ceiling all the way to the stone at the bottom it is 40 feet. It almost echos.

Clark
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Our house is pretty dead acoustically. I guess the bathroom would be the best place to play, but it's so tiny, and it's also right next to our neighbor's kitchen (houses are really close together here). Usually I play in the living room or outside.

Redwofl
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

NorCalMusician wrote:Sorry, Tyg, but I just HAD to ask!!!
Forgiven...but just barely! ;)

I've been told that practicing in a bright room is a bad idea because you think you're sound is so great. This fellow thinks you should play in a dead room so you really hear what you sound like without the glaze of reverb. He'd LOVE my not-yet-a-kitchen.
DCrom wrote:"Wake the Macaw" sounds like a good name for a tune, actually.
Hmmm...there's a thought....do you know Staten Island Hornpipe? The B part has that great honk of the ferry...truly a macaw sorta sound, but it would have to be three times in a row because when he screams its usually in threes.

(way OT here: I actually have three birds, but Nick, the macaw is senior in the household, and Alice, a smaller parrot called a caique (kah eek) who used to come to work with me every day. When I changed positions and had to leave her at home, she'd rattle and fuss and romp in her cage, and she was NOT quiet about it. Nick was used to quiet time between 9 am and 3 pm, and Alice drove him CRAZY with her carrying on. For about three days this is what we heard:

Alice: twitter, twitter cheep rattle racketty racketty yippeta yippeta yip
Nick: AAAAAHH! AAAAAAAH! AHHHHHHHHH!
silence
Alice: twitter tweet
,,,,,,,,,twitter twitter cheerp racketty
.........rattle rattle cheeeep racketty yippetta yippeta
Nick: AAAAAHH! AAAAAAAH! AHHHHHHHHH!
silence

we finally cut a deal and made Alice commute across the hall during the day and carry on with Ben, the parrotlet, leaving Nick in peace and quiet. Well, now I'm back at the old position, and have the opportunity to bring Alice to work again.)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Tyghress wrote:Forgiven...but just barely! ;)
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Tyghress wrote:we finally cut a deal and made Alice commute across the hall during the day and carry on with Ben, the parrotlet
Oh, a parrotlet! Is it a regular or a Lucida. Does yours talk? We had a parrotlet that we named Buster for a while. He knew quite a few words. The first recognizable words he said were "Hello Buster, how's it going." We were blown away, thought it would be great to get one word.

He was quite particular and would REALLY let you know if things were not to his liking. Whenever I was upset he would yell and gripe at Renee because he was VERY SURE it was HER fault. :boggle:

Hey, us guys have to stick together! :lol:

He got just a little too picky and started not even tolerating my "ineptness" of taking care of him so we gave him to my son for breeding. Sad day for me.