Tobacco in a Tin-whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
psmithltd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tobacco in a Tin-whistle

Post by psmithltd »

Dear Chiff and Fipple,

I was inspired by the song "Seven Drunken Nights", as sung by the Dubliners to try to make a pipe out of my tinwhistle. In the song the husband stumbles in drunk, finds another man's pipe where "his old pipe should be", but is assured by his wife that it's a tinwhistle. He is unconvinced, however, for "tobacco in a tinwhistle [he's] never seen before." Anyway, I've been wanting to try this out for a while, and finally got around to trying tonight. I heated the whistle (an old Walton's that really had terrible tone anyway) over my stove, and then with a wrench began trying to twist it. I ended up by taking half of the whistle off, to where the holes began, and trying to get the end curved up. However, I had a lot of trouble getting it to curve properly, so in the end I couldn't really get a good bowl at the end. I then put a pipe filter in the fipple, and keep my finger over the hole (I might be getting the terminology wrong) and tried to light it. It went for a little while, but then died, and I've come with some questions.

Has anyone ever tried this sort of thing before? Any experience with twisting whistles into odd shapes? Any ideas on how I could make the bowl bigger? Also, it would be really neat if I could figure out a way to cover up the holes so I could have a nice and long pipe.

Another option would be to buy some copper pipe and make the neck and bowl from scratch, and then attach a mouthpiece to it for the authentic tinwhistle look.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions? Please no discusing the merits and dangers of smoking.

I can see the posibilities now, though: Tin Whistle Pipe Afficianado. It has a nice ring to it.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I've used a whistle as a straw before... which doesn't work very well, since you don't have enough fingers to cover the window as well as all six holes.
I'd think you'd have better luck filling the tube with tobacco and making a brass cigar instead... but hats off to you for giving it a try, and the song does say 'pipe' and not 'cigar'!
What's next, buttons in a blanket? :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Intresting project, but seeing as it is based on a great song I love it, and for those who know the song lets just hope psmithltd does not continue with any of the other nights. Raindog clearly has heard it. :lol:

Heres the lyrics. http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/450
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

raindog1970 wrote:I've used a whistle as a straw before... which doesn't work very well, since you don't have enough fingers to cover the window as well as all six holes.
This should not matter if you put the fipple part in liquid (you can drink down to the level of the window) or simply take it off.

It is a tricky matter drinking from a straw with such a wide bore, though.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I once forgot i had snuff in my lip and started playing my whistle. Not a good idea. Did you know you can spit better without the whistle in your mouth. Oh well, the whistle had to be tossed, I used everthing, but nothing could get all the snuff out.

That's been years ago, I quit dipping and my whistles are staying clearner, what do you think about that?

I would like to see pictures of the whistle converted pipe or should that be pipe converted whistle?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
The song "Seven drunken nights" was sung for many years on Irish radio by Joseph O'Heaney ,rest his soul.When the Dubliners recorded the english version it was banned. The Catholic church were extremly influential in those days and took a very dim view of an extra-marital affair being the basis of a song being broadcast on the national radio station.They were fanatical in their disapproval of sex outside marriage and not to keen on the idea of sex in marriage.
Ronnie Drew once said of the whole affair (pardon the pun) that the Dubliners recording of the song was the greatest incentive the Irish people ever had to learn their own language.
It's a true story,honest.

Slan,
D.

:D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
station

Post by station »

i agree its very true.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

station wrote:i agree its very true.

I was not aware of a Rod Stewart version of the song.

Slan,
D.

:)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'd be interested in knowing why the husband considered a unknown whistle less suspect than a pipe...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've used my flute to shoot things out of at sessions. There's a fellow who always removes the filters from his ciggies before lighting up, and since they're clean, they make fine ordnance. Just drop your projectile into the flute from the footjoint, cover the finger holes, cover the embouchure with your mouth and blow hard.

Amazing how far things'll sail out of a trad flute. I imagine that the conical bore helps, too.

A bit OT, but the whistle-as-drinking-straw post inspired me. :wink:
station

Post by station »

I told you dubhlinn, Rod can do everything ,so would you please stop picking on the man, i think you have this little hang up, really i feel sorry for you ,
i forgot to tell you , when i said i agree, Ronnie Drew is a member of my family i dont know if its once or twice removed, i will find out and let you know.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

We all feel bad for Dubhlinn the poor ol sap :P
station

Post by station »

Okay Irishduffy how are you, first ofall i think Dubhlinn replys, are much much wittier than yours, now im not one for calling people Saps , i think maybe well i told Dudhlinn he had a bit of a problem with Mr Stewart, well i hate to burst your , well im going to get a bit bold , sorry dont take offence, now please excause me , i hate to burst your Polish Bubble, because you told me you are not even Irish, so you are like a lot of people my great great garanny was Irish so i want to be,im sorry but i have to say it like it is, now dont go getting , your please excause me but dont go getting your nickers in a twist , now Irishduffy im just trying to help as you said you are going to be going to be living Ireland, to get your Degree, now if you bumped into Dubhlinn in Ireland or anyone and started to call them saps well Irishduffy just be carful , now take it from your friend station, you call a Irish man a sap well well he would wipe the floor with you, no i would suggest you say sorry to Dubhlinn because he knows his history of Ireland i can see that from his other Posting, now Irishduffy im only telling you this because we are Neighbours so take care and say sorry, now be a good little boy and never never call a true Irishman a sap , okay thats all but if you need any help just ask ,
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Well, once, uh.........I uh.......uh
technically, no, no.
Ya know, a low d might....uh.......mmmm
You'd have to tape up the holes. All but one at least. Maybe you could use a gen in F to go through the last hole of a low d kerry and....
no I guess not......
Ah, it brings me back to my college days. Best 19 years of my life!
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Station, I said I have Irish blood or heritage, I am not Irish born you assumed that because of my screen name. So do not call me a want to be Irishman, I am a American. Born and bred by two cultures Irish/Polish in a melting pot.

I have family in both Ireland and Poland, Thus I have stong roots to both so please read before you begin to post.

As far as me an dubhlinn, we talk a bit so please mind your own.

Ps. :P ment I was teasing him. so you did not need to post a threat towards me.