Uilleann Practice set wanted

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Eivind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Uilleann Practice set wanted

Post by Eivind »

So,

I was at the Willie Clancy week and the conclusion is clear: must have a practice set. The sooner the better.

-Does anyone have one they want to sell or can point me to a maker with a not too long list? My finances are not an overwhelming forte of mine.
Makers that I know of who are supposed to be good and hence would interest me; are:
- Patrick Murray
- Andreas Rogge.

Any other suggestions are welcome, but these also represent a price range that is interesting for me. I live in Europe (Norway).

Please reply to this thread or PM me; either way :)

Eivind
travhicks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

practice set

Post by travhicks »

Check out Patrick Sky's budget practice sets.

www.patricksky.com

I have to disclose that Pat is a friend of mine (but I don't get any percentage of sales or anything like that). Pat's just a great guy with a wealth of knowledge and experience in pipemaking and reed making. And he's recently come up with a budget practice set configuration for people like you, who would like a decent set, but fast and inexpensive.
Thies

Post by Thies »

You might also want to check the sets from Marc van Daal (The Netherlands). His waiting list is probably not too long and prices are reasonable.

http://www.uilleann.net/

Cheers from the other side of Fenno-Scandia, Thies
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

You may want to check out Marcus Coulter and Mickey Dunne...

www.coulterpipes.com

Mickey Dunne doesn't have a website, but NPU should help.

Alan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Mickey Dunne now has a wait of nearly a year, a new student of mine was talking to him about a quick fix. Won't harm to enquire though. (he eventually lent her one of his chanters from the loan set stock from the Limerick piper's club).

Options are a bit limited. Do shop around and listen to pipes yourself, a lot of people here will recommend the pipemaker they had their pipes from, which will give a slightly distorted image of what is good and what is not so desirable.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Thanks all, for the good suggestions.
I will be surfing around for a while.

Marcus Coulter's sets look good and sound nice; but the price is a bit stiff.
The sets of Patrick Sky have a better price; but there no sound samples etc. Nevermind the aestethics; I just want a set thats is as well in tune and as playable as possible. It will be used in sessions eventually.

Nobody aching to get rid of their used practice sets, then? :party:

Eivind

BTW Laban; were you able to lay sufficiently low during the entire Clancy week? :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Keep an eye on this forum, as I am sure you do, and on eBay, as these items show up regularly.
thedoc15

Here's a set I have for sale

Post by thedoc15 »

Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Eivind wrote: BTW Laban; were you able to lay sufficiently low during the entire Clancy week? :D
I don't know. Did you spot me doing anything significant?
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Peter Laban wrote:
Eivind wrote: BTW Laban; were you able to lay sufficiently low during the entire Clancy week? :D
Ha, Ha! :lol: Don't let Peter fool you. This guy is ubiquitous.

Sorry I never got a chance to hear you play, though, Peter. Maybe next year...It was nice to meet you,

Justine
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

That's great to hear you went to Willie Week Justine. Who was your teacher? Did you have a good time?

All the best,

Patrick.
Kerryman

Practice set wanted

Post by Kerryman »

Take a look at David Dayes website.
http://daye1.com/pennychanter.html
I got one of his practice sets and am pleased with it. I got the 'easy set' where he built the chanter and I assembeled the rest (bellows, bag ect.)
You can also assemble the whole chanter yourself if you are brave enough. His wait time is around 6 weeks and it is relatively inexpensive.

Liam :wink:
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Here we go... :roll:

Best of luck - you'll need it! :lol:
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

feadogin wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:
Ha, Ha! :lol: Don't let Peter fool you. This guy is ubiquitous.
Justine
Aah, so I probably saw you then, Peter. Can't tell what you were doing, though. It was a great week anyway. This saturday's session in Mullagh really was the icing of the cake to us...there was an incredible piper...yipes... :)

Eivind
Royce

Post by Royce »

Brian Lee wrote:Here we go... :roll:

Best of luck - you'll need it! :lol:
The challenge still stands. You mail me that Daye chanter of yours and I'll have a reed in it and a sound file playing your arse into the ground within a week. Unless you built that yourself, and did so poorly, or got it off someone else who botched it (well the reed-wrecking cap thing aside...) that's a perfectly well behaved and decent sounding instrument.

If it's the piece of crap you say it is, David Daye Himself will tell you I ought to be the first one on earth to shout it too the rooftops, but I have yet to see one that didn't play very very well with either a reed of my own make or one of the ones David sent me personally when I got mine. I don't know why you don't just put-up or shut-up and let me have a look and listen to it.

Having said that, don't anyone buy a Daye set just yet, because I think I'm going to put together a Gallagher-based practice set I'll probably want to sell soon...or immediately, depending on the price it'll fetch, and it won't be a desperate giveaway.

Royce