Is Your Keyless Flute C# in tune?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Is your keyless flute C#/ Cnat in tune?

My keyless flute is in perfect tune
21%
My keyless flute C# is flat and my Cnat fingering is in tune
42%
My keyless flute C# is in tune, but my Cnat is out of tune
16%
I use oxx xox fingering to bring Cnat in tune
11%
I own a Olwell and it doesn't matter
11%

Total votes: 19

Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Is Your Keyless Flute C# in tune?

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I was wondering how many of you have keyless flutes, where the C# is not flat, or the C nat fingering is not sharp.
I guess this is a age old problem, that was corrected by creating a C nat key, and using it to vent when playing C#.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

It's never in tune, that's a flute you're talking about! You have to play it in tune.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Glauber,
Actually, I think some of the flute makers like Terry Mcgee tune the C# so that it is more in tune, and encourge the alternate fingering oxx xox.
Jon
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yes, you're right about that.
--Wellsprings--
sturob

Post by sturob »

You have to be really careful about stuff like this.

My opinion follows.

NO flute is absolutely in tune with itself. If you ever read that a given instrument is in tune with itself, look at the context. There are some flutes that have a very-VERY-in-tune first octave, at the expense of a slightly out-of-tune second octave and a nearly-unplayable third octave. It's all give-and take; even doing funky things like Siccama-system keys won't bring all octaves into perfect tune because that's the nature of the beast.

C# is often slightly flat on simple system flutes. But it's flat in the first octave and relatively in-tune in the second octave. If the C# is bang on with no manipulation in the first octave, it's probably sharp when overblown. So, in my opinion, you WANT your first-octave C# to be a little bit flat, because you can always push it up . . . and it's easier to push/lip notes up than it is to bring them down.

I'm NO FLUTEMAKER, but it seems like the internal tuning of a flute is an amazing balancing act. I find playing certain flutes (yes, like my beloved Olwell, and the Byrne, and the Grinter) to be quite rewarding. You have to get to know them. On the topic of C#, the C# on the Grinter (which is a Bb) is different than the C# on the Olwell. When I go back to the Olwell after just playing the Grinter, I think, "Wow, that C# is flat!" But then I think about what I'm doing and it's in tune. Same thing with the other direction . . . if I play the Olwell (D or Eb) and switch to the Grinter, it seems like the C# on the Grinter is flat.

I think one helpful thing for learning to play a simple-system flute in tune is to imagine the drone underneath you, and learn the "right" dissonances for all the notes relative to the tonic. Maybe that's because I come from piping, but rather than play to a tuner for practice, play to a tuner playing D (or G or whatever) and learn how to make it sound right. That fixes all the problems with trying to have a tuner that's tempered the same way you want to play your flute.

OK, so you asked about C#s. This is a LONG, DRAWN-OUT agreement with my colleague Glauber, in that ". . . you have to play it in tune."

Stuart
glauber

Post by glauber »

It's all a series of compromises. The situation is better with the Boehm flute because of the better venting, but the C# is still a demon note, because the C# hole is positioned so it serves as a vent for the second octave D, instead of being in its most favourable location (it's the only note that doesn't get a nice big hole in the Boehm flute).

But reading Jon's second post, i think i understand his context better. He's curious about how many flutes out there favour the tuning of the C# at the cost of making the 2-fingered C-nat a little sharp.
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: .....owning an Olwell and it not mattering.... :lol:
sturob

Post by sturob »

Nano, nano, Nano. ;)

Glauber, I guess you're right about what he was talking about in the first place. To answer that question, I don't think I've played any flutes that are tuned that way. Whistles, YES, most emphatically, but no flutes come to mind.

Stuart
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

sturob wrote:You have to be really careful about stuff like this.

My opinion follows.

NO flute is absolutely in tune with itself. If you ever read that a given instrument is in tune with itself, look at the context. There are some flutes that have a very-VERY-in-tune first octave, at the expense of a slightly out-of-tune second octave and a nearly-unplayable third octave. It's all give-and take; even doing funky things like Siccama-system keys won't bring all octaves into perfect tune because that's the nature of the beast.

C# is often slightly flat on simple system flutes. But it's flat in the first octave and relatively in-tune in the second octave. If the C# is bang on with no manipulation in the first octave, it's probably sharp when overblown. So, in my opinion, you WANT your first-octave C# to be a little bit flat, because you can always push it up . . . and it's easier to push/lip notes up than it is to bring them down.

I'm NO FLUTEMAKER, but it seems like the internal tuning of a flute is an amazing balancing act. I find playing certain flutes (yes, like my beloved Olwell, and the Byrne, and the Grinter) to be quite rewarding. You have to get to know them. On the topic of C#, the C# on the Grinter (which is a Bb) is different than the C# on the Olwell. When I go back to the Olwell after just playing the Grinter, I think, "Wow, that C# is flat!" But then I think about what I'm doing and it's in tune. Same thing with the other direction . . . if I play the Olwell (D or Eb) and switch to the Grinter, it seems like the C# on the Grinter is flat.

I think one helpful thing for learning to play a simple-system flute in tune is to imagine the drone underneath you, and learn the "right" dissonances for all the notes relative to the tonic. Maybe that's because I come from piping, but rather than play to a tuner for practice, play to a tuner playing D (or G or whatever) and learn how to make it sound right. That fixes all the problems with trying to have a tuner that's tempered the same way you want to play your flute.

OK, so you asked about C#s. This is a LONG, DRAWN-OUT agreement with my colleague Glauber, in that ". . . you have to play it in tune."

Stuart
Sheer poetry.
:thumbsup:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

talasiga's 5 star rating

Post by talasiga »

Seery African Blackwood (SN 2932)
crisp winter morning 40degF

results at 440 setting:-
D exact 5 stars
C with oxx xox exact 3 stars
C a little # at oxx ooo exact for 443 setting
C#exact 4 stars

*full dentures
*KORG chromatic tuner CA-30
sturob

Post by sturob »

talasiga wrote:Sheer poetry.
:thumbsup:
WOW! Thanks, Talasiga!

And here I thought we'd never agree on anything. ;)

Stuart
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

sturob wrote: WOW! Thanks, Talasiga!

And here I thought we'd never agree on anything. ;)

Stuart
Don't get too excited now.
I wouldn't take my agreance as a compliment
if I were you :lol:
sturob

Post by sturob »

At least you've clarified that it's an agreement. :D

Stuart
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Thanks For your input Stuart, it was helpful.
I am making a R&R flute out of the dreaded delrin, and was expermenting with the tuning of C# I think I like it a little flat also, I tryed it both ways, when I bring the C# in to tune, it does throw off the third octave tuning.
Thanks again!
Jon

Ps I knew the Olwell owners would answer that way... :twisted:
Henke

Post by Henke »

My band members are always complaining about my flat C# when I play my M&E R&R. It is very flat. I guess I just have to learn to lip it up a bit. Still got some embouchure refinements to make. Also the oxx ooo fingering for C nat seems flat :boggle: . I usually just play ooo ooo for both C# and C nat on fast tunes but on slower stuff I try to lip up the C# as best as I can and half hole the C nat which usually brings it into tune.