LOOKEY >>>Flutes at auction next week...England

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

LOOKEY >>>Flutes at auction next week...England

Post by RudallRose »

Couple decent flutes set to auction next week at house in the UK known as Gardiner Houlgate. It's one of the houses that sells many flutes.

You have likely seen several of the flutes sold from this house end up on eBay, often rather quickly after they were bought there and often at prices higher (some much higher) than what was paid at the block.

Here's your chance to get there first!

But here are a couple decent things if anyone wants to bid, they'll accept email and telephone calls, so inquire freely. Typically these flutes need some work, but you can get a pretty good deal on a decent flute.

Here are the descriptions given (and estimates in GBP sterling) from the catalogue. They are not my own. As with anything, check it out first, but most of these flute probably need some work, and would largely be worth it.
You can often get photos from the auction house on request, even overseas, and generally at no cost.

Contact Gardiner Houlgate at:
01-225-812-912 (phone)
or
auctions@gardiner-houlgate.co.uk (email)
http://www.invaluable.com/gardiner-houlgate/
then click on "musical instruments" under the Browse our Current Sales heading.

Of the notable flutes that could be worth a run at:
Lot 109
BLACKWOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY WILLIAM HENRY POTTER, stamped Willm. Henry Potter, Johnson's Court Fleet Street London, with six square silver keys on wooden blocks, cased Estimate - 150-200
Lot 112
BOXWOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY WILLIAM HENRY POTTER, stamped Willm. Henry Potter, Johnson's Court Fleet Street London, with six silver keys on wooden blocks, cased Estimate - 100-150
Lot 110
Blackwood flute by Clementi & Co., stamped Patent Clementi & Co., London, with five silver keys on wooden blocks and ring turned ferrules Estimate - 100-150

Other notables :

Lot 107
ROSEWOOD FLUTE WITH IVORY HEAD JOINT BY GARRETT, stamped Garrett London, with eight silver keys on wooden blocks, hallmarked London 1845 Estimate - 100-150...
Lot 130
BOXWOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY WOOD & IVY, stamped Wood & Ivy late Geo Wood, 50 New Compton Strt, Soho, London with eight brass keys on wooden blocks Estimate - 120-180
Lot 132
BOXWOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY WILLIS & GOODLAD, stamped Willis & Goodlad 25 Villiers St, Strand London, number 1284, with six square brass keys on wooden blocks Estimate - 120-180
Lot 151
COCUS WOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY MAYBRICK, stamped Maybrick London, with six keys on wooden blocks, cased Estimate - 120-180

Anyway....
for what it's worth!

Dave Migoya :P :o
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Gotta win a lottery, Gotta win, Gotta win a lottery, I says to myself, these things are preciiious!

Thanks for posting Dave, but alas tis only a dream cruise for me.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I just noticed that several of these flutes are LEFT OVERS from the previous auction at this house, unpurchased by several known dealers and collectors.

So.....I'd first wonder why not.

Some of the prices paid previously (to illustrate the decent deals at hand):
1 GBP=@1.80US
Remember to add a premium of @ 17-18%, the fee you pay the auction house.

Rudall #4643 = 2,100 GBP
Rudall #2843 = 980 GBP
Rudall #? = 780 GBP
Siccama #895 = 420 GBP
Wylde 8key = 650 GBP

again, for what it's worth!

DM
:P
Azathoth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Azathoth »

Wonderful post David -- and seriously annoying too, since I lived about 3 minutes away from these Auction Rooms in Bath when I was in England, and at that point hadn't a clue about Irish music.

And now I'm in Hamburg, Germany, and have planned to come over to England to look for a flute (Irish or C.19th) in .. late JULY.

Aaagh, the ironies life throws at one!

Az
Aodhan

Re: LOOKEY >>>Flutes at auction next week...England

Post by Aodhan »

David Migoya wrote:Lot 107
ROSEWOOD FLUTE WITH IVORY HEAD JOINT BY GARRETT, stamped Garrett London, with eight silver keys on wooden blocks, hallmarked London 1845 Estimate - 100-150...
Lot 151
COCUS WOOD AND IVORY FLUTE BY MAYBRICK, stamped Maybrick London, with six keys on wooden blocks, cased Estimate - 120-180
David-

Thanks for this post! I've sent an email enquiring about these two flutes, and pictures if they have any. :D

Aodhan
andrew

Post by andrew »

The next auction is not in Bath but in Corsham , Azathoth .
The auction has a good collection of old clarinets , if anybody is interested .
Unsold instruments tend to have undisclosed faults .I bought a flute over the phone ( elsewhere ) recently , having asked three times about the condition of the headjoint , and being misled by the auction house three times . ( I have not taken it ) . If you do want to buy unseen you should be sure to ask for photos of the flute back and front , as cracks are often unmentioned .
Multiple head cracks can be a lot harder to fix, I believe , than a single one .
Last edited by andrew on Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

David Migoya wrote: Siccama #895 = 420 GBP
:P
Is that right???

Cheers,
Tony
McCullagh

Post by McCullagh »

andrew wrote: ....I bought a flute over the phone ( elsewhere ) recently , having asked three times about the condition of the headjoint , and being misled by the auction house three times ....
I too had a similiar experience awhile back, but alas, recently I worked a deal with Dave Migoya for a lovely 8 Key Cocus Rudall & Carte. Its large holed (#7007 by H. Wylde), no cracks or flaws repaired or otherwise and an extremely fine player. The flute is everything Dave described and more, now with a happy new owner. I mention this only because if you don't want to go the auction house route, you may want to contact him. He's a great guy, knoweledgeable and a straight shooter.

Matt
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

yes, tony, that's right
but remember, the condition is unknown.
I don't know how good or not good this flute was, whether it needed lots of work or just a little.
Remember, caveat emptor.

Still....920 GBP....then add the 18% hammer premium, and it's now 1,086 GBP.....(usually you can not pay the VAT if you remind the auctioneers that you are taking it immediately out of the country.....otherwise you pay the VAT, have to file for it back, then if mailed improperly, you'll pay duty on it as well.....and die before you'll see it refunded!)
so....
at today's bank exchange of $1.83 (which is much higher if you use a credit card to pay....plus the 3% exchange fee nearly all credit cards charge here) it is $1,987 US w/o the credit card fee.....$2047 with it.
Great price for a Rudall. Not bad for a Siccama that plays well.
(I'm not sure, but I think Andrew bought this flute. I'm sure he'll chime in if he did. If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it's a dandy looking flute, based on the images he emailed me.)

Then.....add the shipping and insurance from overseas. From England, it can get expensive, usually about $100 for a flute.

All that for a pristine/ready-to-play flute, which nearly all of them are likely not.

So....figure $200-500+ for repair work, presuming it needs it, of course.

Getting the picture?
Our dollar exchange is awful right now, so buying from England can get very pricey very quickly.

Dave M.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Dave-

Any ideas on the cost to repair a crack in an ivory headjoint? It looks like it runs from top to bottom through the embouchure (ick!)

Aodhan
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

<shrug>
I've never worked an ivory head crack, mostly because of the difficulty in doing it well.
But I'm sure Olwell and/or McGee and/or Gallagher have.
Frankly, if the entire flute is worthy, I'd almost have a replacement head made entirely.
How's the rest of the flute?
dm
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

David Migoya wrote:<shrug>
I've never worked an ivory head crack, mostly because of the difficulty in doing it well.
But I'm sure Olwell and/or McGee and/or Gallagher have.
Frankly, if the entire flute is worthy, I'd almost have a replacement head made entirely.
How's the rest of the flute?
dm
Don't know. The one picture they sent is full length but a bit blurry. What I can see of the keywork looks ok, but no way to tell about any body cracks. I sent an email directly to the auctions at email address rather than the hosting site info address seeing if they have any other photos.

Aodhan
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

how dumb of me!
okay...i posted the accurate sale price of the Siccama....
but in my figuring somehow had a brain f*rt and typed 920 and figured off that.
so...
it was 420 + 76 (hammer premium) + 15 (3% credit card fee) =
511 (* 1.90 US which is the conversion for us regular folks, not the 1.83 the banks give each other)= $971 US
for a rather decent-looking siccama flute
add about $300 or so for work....
hmmm
I should have bid!
:)
andrew

Post by andrew »

The best flutes in the sale were , the Laurent as a bargain , and the Wylde, as the finest flute there .Of course they would both have been far higher in price if anybody had pushed the bidding .Many of the flutes on offer were pretty tatty/damaged but ,of course the auctioneers don't tell you in the catalogue .
andrew

Post by andrew »

The most interesting flute in the last sale was probably the Wood's patent one , as Mr Migoya has not told you .
The "MAYBRICK London " flute, Aodhan is in fact Maybrick , Liverpool , as Mr Migoya has not told you , not that it matters much . It seems to be a new offering .
The flute stamped Garrett was one of the ones nobody wanted last time .It will most likely go cheap , as people here don't seem to like German 19th C. imports, or flutes which resemble them .The crack doesn't look bad .Especially compared with the one in the sale last time subsequently offered on eBay ! Keith Prowse , wasn't it ?, ( If I have the right one .There was an unappealing F . Fentum in Ivory ).