What is, for you, the most annoying thing in a session?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

A very loud whistle, with an explosive second octave
5%
Some playing out of tune without even realizing it
22%
Musicians talking while others are playing
8%
Session hogger, someone who wants to start most of the sets
11%
Set hijacker, someone who'll start his own tune after yours even if you had something in mind
3%
Someome sitting beside you whose phrasing sucks big time
14%
People who will always start the same sets, months after months, years after years
No votes
Someone playing a recorder or something as evil
5%
People trying to play 10 times faster they actually can (because this is how they do on CDs!)
22%
A bad bodhran player, or more than one bodhran at a time
11%

Total votes: 37

Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

You know, all sessions have annoying factor, but what's the worse thing for you? There were other potential "session busters" but couldnt write them all!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Someone playing random notes, hoping it will sound good...

(ie they think they are "improvising" or "harmonizing" and therefore improving the tunes... At least I don't think they are trying to play the tunes and are just horribly butchering them...)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah you're right, that's very bothering too! I had to tell a concertina player last saturday to stop doing just that, I told him that when *I* didnt know the tune, I left the whistle on the table or made sure I hit the right notes if I tried to learn and play a long. I told him a nice way and invited him for next session, so I think he understood.

I reached the limit of poll options that's too bad.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

I voted for "the old man that plays the high octave out of tune."
That means I have to play down an octave or tune to him and then
both of us sound bad. One time I just went home early, it was so discusting. He is in his 70's so no one says a thing to him!
Lolly
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

the worst for me is not knowing how to play the tunes.... :roll:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Although it isn't listed on the poll, the thing that usually bugs me the most about sessions are the elitist and snotty attitudes that some players (regardless of talent, ability or tact) impose upon those who may be new to the ritual. I have participated in many sessions where I watched people, full of beer and themselves, verbally 'skin' the newbies, or someone who brought a bodhran but had yet to put a tipper to it. Disgusting behavior like this has soured sessions for me for life. House parties are where its at now, and the spirit of the music flows freely without prejudice nor malice. The whiskey costs far less at these events as well. :D
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Oh, everyone is bringing back BAD session memories. Gee, a house
party; that WOULD be fun!
Lolly
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

For me, I think the most annoying thing in a session is when it is going really well, the groove has been found and magic is happening, and I'm too damned tired to keep my eyes open.

Next worse thing would be when the same thing is happening, but the pub kicks us all out before I'm too tired to play.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Sitting next to a gassy banjo player who's had WAY more than his fair share of chips. That and more than seven pianos at once. That's just excessive to me.

B~
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Gee Azalin, you didn't give us the option of "All of the Above." I have had all of your examples either individually or on some real bad nights all of them, that's when I just packed up and went up to the bar or home.

But anyone of them can set others off and ruin a session. We had at one time a supposedly a guitarist, who turned her guitar into a loud lead instrument and her foot stomping out did four bodhrans and she wondered why everybody just put down their instruments.

But the thing that gets me right off, is when you (I) announce the next set and a person jumps right in to practice the tune before you start the set and won't stop until he/she figures out what I or others are going to play. One night I just sat there and let him lead but then the rectal cavity stops and waits for me to start the set, I politely thanked him for his solo performance and immediately changed the set and went right into it. But the rectal opening blasted me for being an a**hole! Go figure

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

An elderly man that grabs my bodhran and proceeds to attempting to play paradiddles on it with his hands and throwing the entire band off beat.

I think that was the only time I was rude to sombody older than I am.

I stopped playing my part and went over and took it out of his hands and said "That is my instrument. Leave it alone and get off of this stage right now! Don't ever touch my stuff."

I have a feeling that he may have had early Alzheimer's disease because I had to do the same the second set.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Well I've never been to one personally... The closest one is an hour drive from here, and well the road that you have to take has more deaths per mile than most Interstates do all the way across the state.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the most anoying thing for me would be... "LAST CALL!"

Enjoy
Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

When I know I know the tune but my hands and brain aren't speaking...

I find all of the things you mentioned just reasons for learning more, as any of them can, at some time or other, be said of me or one of my friends... everybody starts somewhere, and guidance is a whole lot more valuable than condemnation.

Patience... now there's a virtue worth waiting for!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

anniemcu wrote:

"Patience... now there's a virtue worth waiting for!"

....in a perfect world. :D
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Actually, the most annoying thing about sessions is the fact that the quality of one's playing isn't directly proportional to the number of pints one has had. :-)

Seriously though, all of the above can be quite annoying. I feel a bit guilty that I couldn't in good conscience choose the recorder option...

Jens