Wooden Flute/Pipes unearthed by Archaeologists in Ireland!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wooden Flute/Pipes unearthed by Archaeologists in Ireland!!!

Post by DazedinLA »

Very cool discovery in Ireland....4000 year-old wooden flutes/pipes (no finger holes) that may be the oldest wooden instruments ever found:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 0510060046

Now that's some aged wood!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That is really, really cool!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
norseman

Post by norseman »

That is pretty amazing. The article didn't mention how they determined the pipes were really musical instruments and not something else. The fact that some of them can be used to play certain notes might just be a coincidence. I can just picture some ancient ghost laughing about how these people think pieces of their ancient bong are musical instruments! :D :D

Bob
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

This must be Piltdown Pipes I think.

Those pipes are more in tune than ther average whistle by the sound of it. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I was thinking that they *could* be endblown overtone flutes, the kind that are still played in Scandinavia.
glauber

Post by glauber »

There's more stuff in the Uilean Pipes forum. Apparently the pipes were connected to some kind of frame. I'm thinking it's some kind of organ or calliope.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I like the part that starts off: "Archaeologists are dancing with delight after discovering a set of musical pipes believed to have been used 4,000 years ago by pre-historic man in Ireland ..."

I wonder why they dont't think that they were used by modern man 4,000 years ago. :roll:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Steven

Post by Steven »

Darwin wrote:I wonder why they dont't think that they were used by modern man 4,000 years ago. :roll:
Because no modern people were alive 4000 years ago. "Prehistoric" refers to the period before written records, which certainly encompasses 4000 years ago in Ireland (it's different in different places). It doesn't refer to a species or subspecies of people, just whether any records from the time have survived to now.

:-)
Steven
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Steven wrote:"Prehistoric" refers to the period before written records, which certainly encompasses 4000 years ago in Ireland (it's different in different places). Steven
Yeah, like high schools in the US of 2004.... :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Since each tube plays a single note and apparently cannot be modulated, I'm guessing they're some sort of ancient panpipes. It would have helped if someone would have thought to include a photo.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Since each tube plays a single note and apparently cannot be modulated, I'm guessing they're some sort of ancient panpipes. It would have helped if someone would have thought to include a photo.
More like a calliope or organ. The pipes were connected to a frame and apparently fed by a bellows or bag.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steven wrote:
Darwin wrote:I wonder why they dont't think that they were used by modern man 4,000 years ago. :roll:
Because no modern people were alive 4000 years ago. "Prehistoric" refers to the period before written records, which certainly encompasses 4000 years ago in Ireland (it's different in different places). It doesn't refer to a species or subspecies of people, just whether any records from the time have survived to now.

:-)
Steven
I think Darwin may have meant "modern" in the paleologic sense.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whoops, not what I expected in this thread: From the title I thought maybe someone had finally found that Copeland whistle you've been neglecting Kev. My bad.

Loren
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

There's a news clip here >> RTE of an interview with Bernice Molloy, site director for the Dublin-based archaeological consultancy Margaret Gowen.
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Loren wrote:Whoops, not what I expected in this thread: From the title I thought maybe someone had finally found that Copeland whistle you've been neglecting Kev. My bad.

Loren
:D Ouch!!! Your thinly veiled atttempts to shame me into parting with my Copland will not succeed!!!! :D

No, seriously, I still play it, uh, every now and then...actually I usually play at least one tune on whistle at each session, though the Dixon is proving to be a lot of fun...I wasnt expecting to be able to play it so quickly, but yeah, its gonna take a while to build up some chops.