Hi, New Member/Whistler Here

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
xcaliburgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hi, New Member/Whistler Here

Post by xcaliburgirl »

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a few days, trying to say "Chiff and Fipple" three times fast. I guess "Fiff and Whiffle" or "Chip and Fiffle" are close enough.

I just bought my first whistle: a Susato Kildare Low D.
Now I know what you're thinking, but I'm not ignorant. Just stubborn. :D Or stupid, if you will. I have some experience with flute and recorder, maybe that won't do any good or maybe it will. I guess we'll find out when my whistle gets here. So I may end up posting my frustration on here for your encouragement and/or we-told-you-so-go-buy-a-high-d. :oops:

I think I must be in the very early stages of WhOA. I ordered my whistle on Saturday and it should be arriving from The Whistle Shop on Thursday. The anticipation is driving me crazy. This morning I was listening to my Máire Brennan Cd (which was what had renewed the fascination that started with, yes I admit it, that stupid Titanic movie :roll: ) and thinking about my whistle while I was getting ready for work. And next thing I know, I was wearing white socks and running shoes! The dress code is business casual, but not that casual. I just know it: I'm doomed! :o

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Alicia
waitingame

Re: Hi, New Member/Whistler Here

Post by waitingame »

Welcome Alicia
xcaliburgirl wrote: I just bought my first whistle: a Susato Kildare Low D.
Alicia
If you learn to play even moderately well on the Low D (particularly the Susato, which IMHO is not really a beginner's instrument) you'll be surprised at how good you sound when you succomb and get a decent high D.

Good Luck
waitingame
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Welcome, Alicia! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Welcome!

Why conform! If your heart said low whistle, then that's the place to start. And since you've got some wind experience that should help.

I'm a beginner, too, but I've been a musician all my life. If I'd started playing what I wanted from the beginning I would have saved a lot of frustrating years. I think our true longing is our roadmap to a happy life. So enjoy your new beginning. It may (or may not) be a tough road to start with but so what...Party On! :party:

Fran
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Aw man, as long as you were ordering, you should have ordered a handful of cheap whistles to go with it.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

No worries! my first whistle was a Kerry low D that I saw in the local music shop window. I hadn't touched a whistle for years but I just liked the look of it & had to have it.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Welcome!!!
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Wecome to the board, Alicia. Anyone whose screen name draws from Arthurian legend is welcome, in my book anyway.

Donn't worry, you don't have WhOA - YET! That condition is only diagnosed by the appearance of two or more of the following symptoms:

1. Buying multiple whistles at one time;

2. Buying whistles off eBay;

3. Buying any whistle in a key other than C, D or low D.

4. Buying your fourth D whistle (assuming you still have the first three);

5. Buying your second whistle in C or your third in low D,

6. Being able to identfy five whistle makers by name,

7. Being able to be named by three whistle makers.
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

Welcome Alicia! If you keep reading here, your collection of whistles will certainly expand, this forum is inspiring and fun, and very irreverent. I keep reading reviews of whistles and thinking " Why don't I have one of those yet?"
Somewhere in this forum is a great picture of JessieK's collection...we all have a way to go.

Bob
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Welcome Alicia. You are in big trouble and don't even suspect a thing. I am just learning to play a low whistle myself. It is different. But hang in there it gets easier. BTW when ordering always order a bunch of whistles. It is more economical shipping wise.

Chuck if 2 symptoms is diagnotic what is 5 of 7?

Ron
xcaliburgirl

Post by xcaliburgirl »

Thanks for the welcome everybody.
Aw man, as long as you were ordering, you should have ordered a handful of cheap whistles to go with it.
BTW when ordering always order a bunch of whistles. It is more economical shipping wise.
Yeah, I know, I didn't think of that until afterwards.
Donn't worry, you don't have WhOA - YET!
Eek! :boggle: Then what am I DOING here?!?!?! I should be running for my life! Seems that bug is contagious.
emmline

Post by emmline »

It gets easier. Bony fingers don't help when it comes to lows. But it still gets easier.
DebbieM

Post by DebbieM »

xcaliburgirl wrote: Eek! :boggle: Then what am I DOING here?!?!?! I should be running for my life! Seems that bug is contagious.
Welcome, Alicia! :party: Yes -- run for the hills! There is no hope as long as you are exposing yourself to the high levels of WhOA viruses here on C&F. We've all got it, and we are all happy to share the bug. :D

In spite of that -- enjoy your Susato low D. If you have flute experience, it won't be as difficult for you. Piper's grip will be necessary and may feel a little weird at first. Be patient -- it wil be beautiful!

Debbie
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

DebbieM wrote:Piper's grip will be necessary and may feel a little weird at first.
Is this some sort of goop to keep the whistle from slipping in your hands? Will PolyGrip work as well?

Post by Guest »

Welcome Alicia, you should be glad that you did not start with a Clarke's like i did. Then besides chewing the paint off the outside I almost chewed the wood out of the inside and drove several dogs and cats to run away never to return, as I learned such gens as 'Thank God Wer'e Surrounded By Creameries'. Also I once tried to play "The Hucklebuck' but when a neighbor arrived with a loaded shotgun looking for the Devil, I had to quit.

:twisted:
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Welcome, Xcal! From one new member to another.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!