tuning a psaltery

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tuning a psaltery

Post by Jack »

How would you tune this?

I know HOW, by turning the wrench, but I mean which strings would be tuned to what notes? For some reason my brain isn't working much lately.

glauber

Post by glauber »

A Psaltery? I think it requires prayer.

10 points for having a .signature in Portuguese.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

I know...I already broke one string.

Here is a bigger (but still blurry) picture..

P.S., Do any points get deducted because it's from Nelly Furtado?
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hi, Cran...It is a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but if your instrument has a range of two and a half octaves, the lowest note at the tip of the instrument would be a C. The highest note would be a G - 2.5 octaves higher...

All 'white' notes are on the right side of the instrument (tip up), and 'black' notes on the left...(piano jargon, of course........)

If I can be of any specific help, please let me know. (Buy an inexpensive chromatic tuner and save yourself a lot of hassle...)

Edit: Just saw the big picture. Your instrument is a two octave instrument...Low note is middle C - High note is C - 2 octaves higher...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hello Byll.

What I can't understand is that the black pins are supposed to mark C and F, but when I start out with the bottom as a C, the next black pin would be an E. Here is another picture that's a bit clearer than the other two, it shows the black pins:

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

You gotta do a search on the Net for something like it. I assumed, at first, that it was a diatonic scale version. But the more I look at it, and the fact that it has short strings on two sides, the more I wonder if it has some alternation scheme.

I play a hog-nose psaltery and its a simple diatonic scale but the string length goes from long to short, low to high.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

That last piece of information did it, Cran. I have played a number of bowed psalteries in my life, and own and use one a lot. I have never seen one tuned from A before, but that is what you own. My daughter's instrument is a two octave unit, and it is tuned from a low note of G. I see no reason why one could not tune it from A....The black pins are the key to the puzzle, here...

Start off with A and tune it to the following notes on the right side of the instrument (tip up): A B C D E F G A B C D E F G A . On the left side: A sharp C sharp D sharp F sharp G sharp A sharp C sharp D sharp F sharp g sharp

Should work. My guess is that the lowest note is the A above middle C on the piano, unless this 2 octave unit is large. If it is large, the A is the A below middle C - a scenario which is highly unlikely...

Let me know how this turns out. Good luck. Always tune from under the pitch, and tune the note up. If you go sharp, flatten it below the desired pitch and tune up till you get it right. It will hold its tune longer, this way...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I like the little hemp leaf in the center. :)
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks, Byll.

That clears a lot up. It seems obvious now.

I have an electronic tuner but the batteries are dead. I've been trying to tune it by ear, and have gotten nowhere. I'll buy more batteries tomorrow.

I have one more question - does it matter if I tune it by picking the strings to check their note, or do I have to bow it each time?

P.S., I thought it looked like a maple leaf or something. Hrmph.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:I thought it looked like a maple leaf or something.
Poison ivy.

(Hi, Cranberry!)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I thought it looked like a maple leaf or something.
Poison ivy.

mmmmh. I've never tried smoking poison ivy.
/Bloomfield
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Smoke from poison ivy is actually toxic. People burning lawn clippings containing poison ivy leaves have actually gotten seriously ill from it.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Cranberry wrote:Hello Byll.

What I can't understand is that the black pins are supposed to mark C and F, but when I start out with the bottom as a C, the next black pin would be an E. Here is another picture that's a bit clearer than the other two, it shows the black pins:

Cran,
I can't tell from the picture but is the bridge arched to make it possible to bow only one string at a time?
Mike
Byll

Post by Byll »

Cranberry: Feel free to pick the strings, rather than bowing them, to tune the instrument. I sure do...

Mike: Expensive bowed psalteries sometimes have a concave curve to the string bank. This allows the bow to go back and forth over the strings, without hitting middle strings...

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hi cranberry'
why don't you tune it to the notes on your whistle? i do that often for my guitar :)
best, tansy