flute versus whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

flute versus whistle

Post by Berti66 »

I would like to know what is the difference between playing the (keyless, irish) flute versus whistle.
is it SO much different and what are the differences.
are there particular things you can do on a flute you cannot on a whistle?
I know here are also people who add the flute/ whistle after they have learned to play one of the two mentioned.

especially interested in how hard it is to play flute with fibromyalgia.
isn't the whistle just an end blown flute as some say.

berti
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Fingering is the same, but just about everything else is different!
Whistle is a LOT easier to learn since you don't have to learn a flute embouchure ( the way you have to form your lips to get a sound). The embouchure takes quite a while to develop, but it's advantage is that it gives the player more control over the tone and volume of the music.The playing position is also easier on a whistle and probably more comfortable for a person with fibromyalgia: holding that flute up there can get pretty tiring.
Get yourself a decent D whistle and learn to play it fairly well, and maybe then think about a flute.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Berti66

thanks

Post by Berti66 »

hi paul

thanks for the explanation.
it confirms my ideas about whether or not I would try the flute in the future (I do already play D whistle and going to get an alto/ low whistle soon).
will stick to the whistle and play the heck out of it!!!!!!!!
berti
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

Maybe I have a bum whistle. It's just an $8 Oak 'D' but it's a lot harder to play well than my Hammy flute in 'D'. I am kind of interested in whistle, but that oak is frustrating enough that I haven't even attempted it in 2 months... Any ideas?

Cheers,
Tony
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Tony
I had a similar problem. I bought an Oak because it was highly praised here on the board. (plus I didn't have one and we have to buy at least one of each) I found it very difficuilt to play. It takes more breath control than many other inexpensive whistles. It needs very little air for the first octave and will go to the second rather quickly. If it is your only whistle you may have problems. For ease of playing I prefer my Feadan, Clare, Generation or Sweetone. I have been working on playing the Oak though and it has a very beautiful sound. As I teach myself how to play some of these difficult whistles they become much easier to play and many of them are very nice sounding. Keep whistling.

Ron
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Tony,
Ron is right. I have an Oak with one of the "good" mouthpieces. I find it hard to play. I just purchased a Clark Meg for $3 and it plays much better than the Oak. Whistle shop has the $3 Megs, but you'll want to combine your order with something else so you don't pay all that shipping for a $3 whistle.

Dwight
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

whistles are bomb, but more colour changes are possible with irish flute. flutes also offer more dinamic range, however they also require more air and a different (often awkward) posture. just remember, when it comes to flute, open holes are your friends, keys suck. metal flutes with keys are crap.
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.