Who?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lyndamic

Who?

Post by lyndamic »

Someone please share the skinny about Phil Harvey. I'm a new member, I have never heard of the poor man, but I've seen him 'dogged' on several posts the last day or two. I even followed a link, and still don't get it. :-?
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Okay.....

Phil makes Kerry whistles.

Colin Goldie makes Overton whistles.

They used to make Overton's together but there ended up being a really unfortunate dispute and they parted ways.

Some of us, including myself, became really involved in the mess as it manifest itself on the board and things got ugly. Things have generally died down, but there are still some strong tensions.

I made an agreement with Phil that I'd leave him alone, and I've done a pretty good job of it for a while now.

I slipped up today and I was out of line. I apologize to MiniWhistler, Phil and the rest of you for subjecting you to this kind of stuff.

Best,
Chris
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Phil Hardy.

Half of the ribbing is a self-perpetuating joke at this point. Bernard Overton developed the original low D whistle, according to folklore, to replace a cane low A whistle that Finbar Furey used to play. At some point, Bernard Overton took on two apprentices, Colin Goldie and Phil Hardy. The very bare facts after that are these: Bernard at some point revoked Phil's license. Colin Goldie still has the license and still makes Overton whistles. Phil makes "Kerry" and "Chieftains" and formerly also "Kerry Pro" whistles. There has been some confusion in peoples' minds and in store advertisings as to what was an "Overton" whistle and what wasn't, and both Colin Goldie and Bernard Overton (who still makes Overtons) for the past years have included certificates of authenticity with their whistles.

At some point Phil Hardy used to post on Chiff & Fipple and he has been involved in some of the less pleasant exchanges here. But then again, so have I and many other regulars or former regulars.

Last year, Phil Hardy produced a CD called "Whistleworks" and started selling them in the US. There already was a CD called Whistleworks, by Bob Pegritz (who used to hang out here as well). Shortly after this issue surfaced Phil started giving away his CD for free to those who signed up to his email newsletter.

That's about it, as fairly as I can manage.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ah. Chris was quicker, as usual. :)
/Bloomfield
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I was sitting around ducking this one since it's been going on since long before I joined the board. I was going to give a summary and invite those who've been around longer to fill in details or correct me. Chris has given a very succinct summary so I don't need to.

I'll just add another point. Phil does seem to return from time to time but always seems to get into disputes with other board members and leaves. I don't know if these are new disputes or date back to the original big dispute. I can't comment, concerning these disputes, on who, if anyone is 'right.' If you want to check back and see exactly who said what and to whom and when then it's all here including, if I remember rightly, a recent brief return. As I recall, at that time quite a few people defended Phil.

I suppose we've all formed our own opinions or have simply ignored the issue. My opinion, much less than adequately informed, isn't worth repeating here.
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

Thank you, mystery solved. I see these kind of 'disputes' all the time in a a Registered Nurse forum I belong to. No one is meaner than a healthcare professional! :lol:
fiddling_tenor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddling_tenor »

lyndamic wrote:Thank you, mystery solved. I see these kind of 'disputes' all the time in a a Registered Nurse forum I belong to. No one is meaner than a healthcare professional! :lol:
Except maybe a nurse with a whistle. :lol:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I think that all newbies really want, well, all I wanted when I was a newbie, is a quick summary like the one Chris gave. For those who want more, I guess it's all there in the archives. I think it's a good exercise to give summaries like that. If someone just goes to the archives, they won't know how to process what's there, so 'do a search' is really unhelpful advice. But once you have a good summary, and so a sense of context, it's better to do a search than just get opinions.

I've found that when I've been told to do a search when what I've wanted is a quick summary first like that of Chris or Bloomfield, and people haven't given me the summary, that's because it was all so complicated they couldn't summarise it. So I don't know what good doing a search would have done me.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Excuse me while I go put my Kerry Low D away to write this response. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lyndamic wrote:
Thank you, mystery solved. I see these kind of 'disputes' all the time in a a Registered Nurse forum I belong to. No one is meaner than a healthcare professional!

Except maybe a nurse with a whistle.

:lol: I should offer to 'play' the whistle for my patients. They would surely improve rapidly due to a strong desire to leave the building.

I agree with you, Wombat. That summary was very helpful.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

It's important to keep in mind what Bloomfield said at the beginning of his post - that half of the ribbing is a self-perpetuating joke here. Some of the "dogging" of Phil has become an inside running joke here at C&F. Certainly me making fun of his hair is just that. It now occurs to me that some of the newer people here don't understand that.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I wonder if Phil understands that?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:I wonder if Phil understands that?
Does it matter? There is lots of stuff I don't understand. It never seems to stop people.
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I don't much like being dogged, myself.
It bugs me--get it?

Here are two grammatical English sentences:

Dogs dogs dog dog dogs.
Bugs bugs bug bug bugs.

Best
glauber

Post by glauber »

Woof!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--