anyone playing a Bb?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lyndamic

anyone playing a Bb?

Post by lyndamic »

Greetings, all! I wondered if anyone could tell me about Bb whistles. I have very small hands and the low D is a behemoth. Are Bb's much more manageable in regard to size? Do you find it a useful addition to your collection? Do you have any suggestions about other options? I love the sound of the lower whistles and don't wan't to miss out.
Upon re-reading this post, I see that I have fallen victim to WHOA. I am a rank amateur, having played the pennywhistle for precisely one month. I now own three penney whistles, have another on order, and already getting 'peckish' about low whistles.
God help me. I'll need him when my husband leaves. :lol:
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Bb's are great. They are manageable for all hand sizes. They sound a bit less offensive in the upper register.

Best thing: you can get a Generation Bb for $10 or so, and they are some of the best Bbs around.
/Bloomfield
meir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meir »

also love the dixon tunable b flat.

meir
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a copeland Bb which is swell.
Also recommend As and Gs
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Try a Generation. I think the Bb is the best of their line. If you want a little more of a low-whistle sound, you might want a Burke composite. They have a nice, round, mellow sound.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have a Sindt B-flat that is fantastic...
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Here is a vote for the Hoover Whitecap Bb.

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there are...

WHISTLES! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Here's a vote for a blue-topped Generation Bb.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I'll second Michael's Sindt recommendation. I have one from him that is very nice.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

NorCalMusician wrote:Here is a vote for the Hoover Whitecap Bb.
I'll second the vote for the Hoover ... Great whistles. My Bb is actually a Hoover CPVC Narrow bore. The sweetest sounding whistle I own.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Generation Bb either red top or blue top. It is a great sounding whistle and as Bloomfield said the price is right. It plays as well as the person playing it.

Ron
trisha

Post by trisha »

Generation Blue top, and if you like the key enough try a Burke later on.

Trisha
Mongoose of Righteousness

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

Bloomfield is correct...your best value is a Generation. Might need a little tweak, though.

I dislike Bb sound. OK for some tunes, but overall it's a gloomy sounding key to me. Oddly enough I go to Eb (higher pitch than D by a tad) when I want to give my ears a rest. It sounds sweeter and livlier.

These odd key instruments are good for your own pleasure or for accompanying singing, but not for session tunes. For sessions all you need is D.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

chas wrote:Try a Generation. I think the Bb is the best of their line. If you want a little more of a low-whistle sound, you might want a Burke composite. They have a nice, round, mellow sound.
Agreed. Next thing best to a cocobolo Grinter. Totally changed my view on Burkes generally.
Finally the only total consensus missing is on the Generations', or Burkes' colours :)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a Generation nickel Bb and an Overton Bb. I find that the spread is similar except for the bottom hole of the Gen, which is a little difficult for me with regular man hands, while the Overton is closer and is very comfortable. I have a Hoover whitecap on my Gen tube and I really like it for practicing. The Overton takes some getting used to.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony