Feadog Mark I, Mark II, Mark III whistlehead comparison pic

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Feadog Mark I, Mark II, Mark III whistlehead comparison pic

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Left to right, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III.

I thought it might be worthwhile to post this for reference. It comes up every now and then, and I've had trouble finding the thread with a comparison picture.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That is useful, Jerry. I now know my good Feadog is a Mark II (I've never been sure before).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I have a Mk III but the store where I bought it had a Mk II on the rack as well. I took a good look at it and I could not even see the blade through the windway. I think there must have been a great deal of variation in the Mk IIs. I have not seen a Mk I.

Ron
Jack

Post by Jack »

What about the black ones?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Cranberry.

A black Feadog Mark III is exactly like a green one. I can't speak for the Mark I's and Mark II's, but I would expect the same is true.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Jerry,
can you do a picture like that in profile? I think that is very interesting and shows what I believe the fundamental flaw of the Mk II was: The windway & blade are positioned above the edge of the tube. Also, you can see the hump behind the blade change shape and disappear in the Mk III.

Thanks
/Bloomfield
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I have a nickel Mk III that my penpal in Cork sent me. :)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I've got two mark 1's that I bought in the early 90's and a more recent mark 3 (in all black).
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

kevin m. wrote:I've got two mark 1's that I bought in the early 90's and a more recent mark 3 (in all black).
Are you sure they are Mk Is? (no bump on the blade, broad, boxy look) I thought they stopped making the Mk Is in early eighties.
/Bloomfield
tuaz

removing the bump

Post by tuaz »

I got rid of the bump in my Mark II, and it became more playable. Then I (accidentally) cracked the mouthpc, thereby loosening it and making it adjustable (the mouthpc was stuck prior to that no matter how long I put it in hot water), and suddenly it became a halfway decent whistle. It'll never be my favourite, but I like it much more nowadays.

From the pics, it would appear that removing the bump in effect turns a Mark II into a Mark I. Thanks, Jerry, I'd never seen a Mark I before.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote:
Are you sure they are Mk Is? (no bump on the blade, broad, boxy look) I thought they stopped making the Mk Is in early eighties.
The old chunky ones were still for sale [old stock possibly, they weren't exactly popular] in Ireland for 2.50 as late as 1997
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Bloomfield wrote:
kevin m. wrote:I've got two mark 1's that I bought in the early 90's and a more recent mark 3 (in all black).
They are definately mark 1's- dark green 'chunky' mouthpiece,large wrap around clear plastic sticker just below mouthpiece, with green 'Celtic' lettered 'Feadog', 'Irish whistle' and 'made in Ireland by Feadog teo.' printed around it.
another wrap around sticker at bottom of whistle has two green lines,
joined together like so:
_______
(_______)

please excuse my draughtsmanship!

I think that I paid about £1.99 for them (maybe even less) from a local music shop ,at the time of purchase.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
glauber

Re: removing the bump

Post by glauber »

tuaz wrote:I got rid of the bump in my Mark II, and it became more playable. [...] From the pics, it would appear that removing the bump in effect turns a Mark II into a Mark I.
Jerry,

what might they be trying to do by adding that bump? What's the purpose of the bump?

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman

Re: removing the bump

Post by Jerry Freeman »

glauber wrote: Jerry,

what might they be trying to do by adding that bump? What's the purpose of the bump?

g
This is a mystery. I've never been able to find any advantage at all from the bump on the ramp. I've removed the bump from various whistleheads, with no noticeable effect at all, as long as you maintain the blade edge and ramp angle as before.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I have a Mk II around the house. It didn't sound very well straight from the box until I cleaned the little overhanging bits in the windway with an exacto knife. The brass body on my mine was painted blue. Probably powder coated.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D