Tunes in Your Head?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tunes in Your Head?

Post by PhilO »

Lately I've been working on some new and difficult tunes, but haven't had time to practice till nine or ten in the evenings, to the point that my wife invariably comes in and asks "Aren't you tired?" Anyway, twice in the last week, I've awakened in the middle of the night (I'm generally a pretty good sleeper) with the tunes pounding in my head. I know it's good that tunes stay in your head, but this seems a bit much.

Is my ear and retention improving or is it time for the nursing home? (Are these necessarily mutually exclusive?)

Anyone else ever have the Musical Priest in their head at 3:00 a.m.?

Best,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh maaaannn...that happens to me all the time! Actually, I've got music in my head pretty much all the time, but I only really notice it when I'm wakeful at night, or when there's a tune in there that I'd really rather get rid of! During Morris season, my husband has been known to nudge me and whisper "STOP humming Shepherd's Hey!" When I was so terribly ill this past summer, I'd lie there half a doze with the fever and hear snatches of church anthems I've sung drifting around my head like little bits of prayer.

Of course, there are lots of people who'll tell you I'm just a loon anyway, but most musicians I know have similar "problems." So at least, if we're crazy, we're in good company!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Hi,

I often have trouble falling asleep, and I've definitely experienced the tunes in the head thing.

I've read up on a lot of doctors' recommendations for better sleeping, and one of the things they suggest is to do something relaxing for an hour or so before you go to sleep. Learning tunes (for me at least) is not really relaxing, because it takes a lot of concentration. If you are concentrating really hard before you go to bed, your brain may take a while to break out of it, hence the tunes in the head.

I'd suggest not playing for an hour or so before you go to bed, and in fact I'd try and do something really mindless instead, like watching TV or something.

Good luck,

Justine
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

hmm.
Music going through my head? Yep,
When I wake? Yep.
Walking anywhere farther than 50 feet? Yep.
When I wake in the middle the night? Not all the time, only 4 out of 5 times.
When I need something to help me relax? Yep
When I need something to help me wake up? Yep.
When I'm in the car going anywhere? Usually, except when my dearly beloved is talking. ... Okay, the music's there usually when she's talking, except on the rare occasions she's expecting me to answer with something more than, "yes, honey".

Musical Priest? Nope, never, that'd be crazy, I don't know that tune. Lately its usually Leon's Waltz, with the occasional interuptions from The Black Cat, Terry Teehan's, Morrisons, Autumn Mountain Met, or a dozen or so others half of which I can't remember the name of.

Now for me this is all good stuff... The only time I have trouble with music going around in my head is when someone starts one of "those tunes" in my head and doesn't finish. It runs around in there forever, trying to get out, trying to find the end. It just keeps running until I resort to finding a recording my music and use it to over-write the imprint of one of "those tunes". It's the only way to turn off "those tunes", like The Hokey Pokey, or the Macarena, or ... Hmmm, nope not going there, not going to try to dredge up more titles for "those tunes"..... Let's restart ... Ah.... Leon's Waltz is back on, much better.

Okay, Phil, now what was your question? My answer is always halucinate tunes you like that way you'll always ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

All the time ... Night and Day (isn't that a song?) The one that's in there now is Spootiskerry and it should be renamed SPOOKiskeery, because I only heard it played twice now in a session.

AND IT WON'T GO AWAY
MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

MarkB

You get no sympathy from me, nope none at all....
YOU are one of those unscruplous people that start one of "those tunes" and just walk away. You didn't even apologize. There sneakerin in the back door on you signature. ("A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?")

Had get out my walkman to dowse them Maresy Oats. Still playing it now so I don't let one of "those tunes" rekindle.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

LeeMarsh wrote:Lately its usually Leon's Waltz
From the original album or from the WFO compilation?

And last week in a dream I came up with a simple, effective variation on on of my tunes... when I woke up I gave it a try and decided it was a keeper.

And Mark -- Jen and I introduced Spootiskerry to a session in Newfoundland last summer. (We had just assumed they would know it and jump in -- they made us play it again so they could tape it.) Soon we'll have infected the entire world....
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

A couple of years ago I had "If I only had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz going in my head for weeks. Only the brain part, not the heart or courage.

Oh I could tell you why the oceans reach the shore
I could think like I never thought before
and then I'd stop and think some more.

Why?
Mike
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Worse is when you get a Frankentune in your head and can't get it out... I almost hate to mention it, but I woke the other night from shouting NO in my sleep because Mooncoin transmogrified to Langstrom's Pony. The NO I screamed actually came out only as a grunt, but I was MAD.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

"I've had that John Cage's 'Four minutes,thirty three seconds' going round and round in my head for days!" *
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Thanks to a contributor to today's 'Guardian' (U.K. newspaper)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Right now it's Corn Riggs for me - a lovely tune, especially the end of the B part...

I used to come home from sessions high as a kite and unable to sleep for all the tunes buzzing round... but that seems to have got better, thankfully.

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ahah Lee! Gotcha ya... your old enough to know the tune Mares eat oats and does eat oats..... And I won't apologize...so there!

That quote has been there for several months Lee and you're the first to ask anything about it.

Colomon, there is woman coming from Ann Arbor to the Sunday session at the Gaelic League, that now comes to the Thursday session in Windsor, her name is Stephanie and she is a fiddler, Stephanie is the one teaching me the Spootiskerry. Love it!

Do you know her?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

MarkB wrote:Colomon, there is woman coming from Ann Arbor to the Sunday session at the Gaelic League, that now comes to the Thursday session in Windsor, her name is Stephanie and she is a fiddler, Stephanie is the one teaching me the Spootiskerry. Love it!

Do you know her?
Know her? I taught her Spootiskerry!

(Well, okay, it's been a while and I'm not sure I actually taught it to her, but she picked it up from our gang out here -- we play it a lot.)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I went to bed early last night (about 1:00 am) and, as a result, woke up too early to actually get up (about 7:00 am). So, I lay there in a stupor (different from my normal waking stupor) with parts of several tunes that I've been working on alternating in my head. I also visualized the fingering, made mistakes, and had to start over.

The worst I've seen was a guy I used to work with, who couldn't stop singing the Jeopardy theme --da-a da da-a da da-a da da-a...--over and over *out loud* while sitting at his computer. Neither pleading nor threatening could stop him. Fortunately, the boss had a tank of piranhas... :twisted:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ah, I do feel better now. We're all nuts! :)

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.