"The Tin Whistle Page" - Coming back?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pashley

"The Tin Whistle Page" - Coming back?

Post by pashley »

Most of you know me as the guy with the "other" tin whistle webpage, which was called simply "The Tin Whistle Page". It went belly up, when i tried transferring the files from one host to another, and they all got deleted...so I thought. However, in a dramatic turn of events, rivaling the capture of Saddam, I came across those files online!

Could the The Tin Whistle Page make a comeback?

Will Dale Wisely be challenged for his crown as the "Undisputed King of Internet Whistle Journalism"?

Will Patrick use his formidable web-imaging skills to dethrone Dale?!

(Dramatic music insertion Dum-dum-daaaaa!)

Stayed tuned whistler lovers, same chat time, chat-channel!!

formerly of "The Tin Whistle Page".
dDave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

So... your website will be pre-structural? ;)

Best,

Dave
pashley

Post by pashley »

Actually, it will be pre-aprachromatic. :boggle:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh. Please. Be my guest.

Dale
pashley

Post by pashley »

You really think I should, Dale? I mean, it would be killer. :party:
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Oh, hasn't anyone heard of GAELIC CROSSINGS? http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/

When I decide to go to the OTHER Tin Whistle page that is where I have been going.

I do subscribe to your Yahoo group by the same name and have been posting there lately though it is a little slow.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Love your graphic!!!

What is the link to your page?

Thanks,

Sandy
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

You guys mean Gaelic Crossings STORE (with a message board just like C&F thrown in there too somewhere)?

I was pretty disappointed to see the trend that site has taken over the past few months to be honest. It's a nice site as far as layout goes I suppose, but it is completely centered around the store selling stuff like Waltons little blacks and bodhráns etc.

C&F is the oldest and I believe (as do many others no doubt) the best and most complete whistle site on the web non-commercial, commercial or otherwise. Period. I applaud the efforts of many to further specific areas related to whistling, but to try and basicly re-write C&F and make it one's own seems not only like folly, but pointless.

Nevertheless, I'd wish anyone well who wanted to try...
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It wouldn't be like C&F. This person wouldn't talk about various brands of instruments, unless, of course, he were to seriously study them first.
~JessieD
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Brian Lee wrote:You guys mean Gaelic Crossings STORE (with a message board just like C&F thrown in there too somewhere)?

I was pretty disappointed to see the trend that site has taken over the past few months to be honest. It's a nice site as far as layout goes I suppose, but it is completely centered around the store selling stuff like Waltons little blacks and bodhráns etc.
Yup, it's a store. I certainly won't make any apologies for that. And, truth is, it always *was* a store. Aodhan just never had the time or resources to really get it moving.
C&F is the oldest and I believe (as do many others no doubt) the best and most complete whistle site on the web non-commercial, commercial or otherwise. Period. I applaud the efforts of many to further specific areas related to whistling, but to try and basicly re-write C&F and make it one's own seems not only like folly, but pointless.

Nevertheless, I'd wish anyone well who wanted to try...
No arguments here either. I have no intention of attempting to supplant or detract from C&F. The discussion forums on GC are just another place for folks to go. Some folks don't like the high intensity of things here, so they go to GC, others feel differently, so they go to C&F. Dale and I have no problem with this, it provides a bit of an "escape valve" for both of us. As for it looking similar, well that's because we both use the same publicly-available software to run the boards. phpBB is definitely one of the best packages out there.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Sorry Mike,

Upon re-reading my post I sounded a bit more anti-Gaelic Crossings than I would like. What I was trying to get at was the inherant difference of GC and C&F as far as their approaches. And of course, to point out that whatever this newly proposed site ends up being, it won't ever out-do C&F.

Best.

B~
Childers

Post by Childers »

Will it have pseudo-philosophic discussions completely unrelated to the tin-whistle?

:-?
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Brian Lee wrote:And of course, to point out that whatever this newly proposed site ends up being, it won't ever out-do C&F.
Y'know, I'm pretty sure any sane person would never hope to out-do C&F. Sorry Dale... :lol:

'course, as my wife regularly reminds me, I'm really not in much of a position to remark on other people's sanity. :P

C&F is a very mature site (not the people, the site :D), its personality is well-defined and doesn't change very quickly any more. New sites tend to develop their own personalities over time. GC has started down that road, but I recognize that it will continue to evolve for a while. As for the store/forums, the personality of the forums is not tightly linked to the store, and in fact, I can see it drifting further as time goes on. This is not a bad thing in my mind. It doesn't hurt my feelings when folks talk about competing products or shops. In fact, I'm as likely to do it as anyone else. The two will always have some influence on each other, but how much really depends more on the forum members than on anything I do.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.