Warped Boxwood!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Warped Boxwood!

Post by JessieK »

I have a Swayne Low G boxwood whistle that I hadn't played much in the last couple of years, and I took it out and played it for about a half hour the other day and put it in the whistle stand.

The next day, yesterday, there was (and is still) a seriously visible warp in the body! It totally curves, just like many of the old boxwood flutes we see on eBay.

Could I, feasibly, humidify it and try to unwarp it?
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the answer is Yes, but I think you might
contact a maker who works with boxwood.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Ouch.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Boxwood is so prone to warping, even after it's been well seasoned. I agree with Jim (on both points) that it may return (though partly) to it's original shape when it been slowly re-humidified. I'd be interested to see what some makers responses would be and if anyone suggests treating it with almond oil.
Jessie, it was fine when you took it out of the case and this happened only after you left it on display? yes?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I once received a whistle from another board member that was warped when I received it. He said it didn't have a warp when he sent it. I put it in my wooden-whistle storage bin (rubbermaid with a cigar humidifier, kept at about 60%RH), and it was straight within a couple of days. When I sold it to another board member, same thing happened -- it warped during shipment, then straightened out when humidified.

I suspect the Swayne would do the same.

What are the playing characteristics of this low-G? Does it have the typical boxwood buttery sound?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Two words:

Central heating.

I predict this whistle will be a different shape in the winter with the heat on (artificially low relative humidity), compared to summer, with the heat off.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Dear Jessie,
I have a bunch of experience working boxwood and here are some comments. What I have observed is if boxwood is going to warp, there's not much one can do about it - period. Rehumidifying it might alleviate it but chances are it will warp back. This is where the wood wants to be - period. If it still works, then accept it - whereas any attempts to wrangle it back to straight may damage the instrument.

The best thing to do is accept it, unless it affects the playing qualities of the instrument. On flutes, a little warpage actually does some good for the tone, which is why some of the old flutes sound as well as they do - the noncircular bore is the key. But I have also had the experience of a music shop leaving a boxwood flute in a dry case above a heater and the thing now looks like a banana. Amazingly, the owner of this flute, living in Wales, still plays it and enjoys it immensely and continues to call it his "Banana Flute"! On whistles, perhaps Mr. Swayne could touch up the voicing and tuning if that has been affected. But as long as the instrument is basically sound, think of the warping as "character"!

There are methods that violin bow makers use to warp wood back to straight, of wetting and heating the wood over the flame of an alcohol lamp. They are doing this in pernambuco or snakewood. But this is done in a fairly narrow rod, not in a tubular structure. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has ever tried this method on a boxwood instrument.

Usually I see warping in boxwood immediately as I am turning a piece. If it is way too out the piece gets delegated to the factory second or prototype bin or even firewood. Sometimes this can be detected in the log before I cut it. One boatbuilder friend of mine said that he can tell if a log cut in half and cured (the method used on most of my box) is going to warp in use by the direction it initially twists as drying. The ones that twist to the right as you look down the plane surface are fine. The ones that twist to the left are suspect and should be rendered into shorter objects like caps, lower middle joints and footjoints. I've found this to be true.

(No political overtones implied here! As political things go I twist much more to the left, but am very conservative when it comes to cutting boxwood!).

Casey
www.caseyburnsflutes.com
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Tony wrote:Jessie, it was fine when you took it out of the case and this happened only after you left it on display? yes?
Right.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Thank you very much for the information on boxwood, Casey! The curve IS kind of cute. :) The warp doesn't have any effect on the playability or tone.

The Swayne Low G (and other Swaynes) are very loud and the holes are small. The bore is long. The design and tone remind me a bit of recorders. The first octave is beautiful, but the second is kind of screechy. I was wondering if playing it in would improve its tone in the upper octave, so I have been playing it.

Darn heat! (Knock wood. I don't want the boiler to break this winter!)
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've heard that boxwood grows on hillsides,
and consequently one side is compressed,
the uphill side, and decompresses under
the right conditions, FWIW--a pretty theory,
anyhow.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've heard that boxwood grows on hillsides,
and consequently one side is compressed,
the uphill side, and decompresses under
the right conditions, FWIW--a pretty theory,
anyhow.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm cross posting my reply from the flute forum for the benefit of whistle folks who might otherwise miss it:

My Boxwood Rose whistle always straightened out when I would rehumidify it in the tupperware container, although the windway never returned to normal and it remains unplayable :(

I imagine your whistle will be fine once it gets back to the proper moisture content. If you use a sealed (tupperware type) container, just be certain to open it for a moment, daily, to air it out - my boxwood rose developed some discoloration (dark colored streaks) due, I believe, to mold taking hold when I had it sealed up for a long period.

Good luck :)

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I put the whistle back into the humidified trunk where I keep my instruments. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
~JessieD
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Speaking of trunk. If a whistle is made from a diagonal branch on a tree, it can be prone to warping. The wood cells develop in the branch in a way to deal with gravity.

It's best for a piece of wood to come from the trunk where it is hopefully growing straight.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Isn't boxwood is more of a shrub/bush rather than a hearty tree?
http://www.freeplants.com/boxwood_propa ... d_care.htm
http://www.bindingstevens.com/Boxwood.htm
http://www.daylily-garden-perennials.com/boxwood.html
This might account for some of the stresses (and resiliency) that branches less than 3" in diameter may encounter.

European boxwood (at the bottom of the page) shows thicker much straighter logs, around 8" in diameter:
http://www.righteouswoods.net/specials.html

http://www.barenforum.org/mall/products/boxwood.php
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

FWIW-- I had one piece of Olivewood warp once I finished a whistle. It did not make much of a difference at all. You could only really notice it if you laid the whistle on a table and rolled it-- one end wobbled up and down.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!