Chiffy Chat Christmas Tunes Available Online!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Chiffy Chat Christmas Tunes Available Online!

Post by Alan »

As we did last year, a number of us who frequent the C&F chatroom have submitted holiday tunes.

You can find them here: http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/zozm

The above site was sluggish for a time but seems ok now. If it is still sluggish or you want files that are a bit more compressed for quicker loading then you can find them with somewhat lesser sound quality at:

http://www.modelhelicopter.com/xmas_2003/

This is Tony's site. Thanks, Tony!

We hope you enjoy them!

Happy Holidays! :party:
Last edited by Alan on Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alan
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

Oh my God these are so fun. Thank you! Lately people have been asking the question "What is Chiff and Fipple?" I think you can hear the answer right here.

Cheers to all of you,

Cara
janice

Post by janice »

Nice, you all. I particularly like the Frosty Morning arrangement.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I've been listening most of the afternoon. Great work everybody - and thanks!

Susan
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I, too, would like to thank the contributors (and Alan for organizing the whole thing). I enjoy listening to Christmas tunes as it is, but it's all the more heartwarming to think that our friends from around the world are the ones we're listening to. It's a treat! :)

Jef
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Is anybody else having problems with the tunes downloading really sssslllloooow? I'm on broadband and the first tune was downloading so slow it was estimating 23 minutes to download a 1.39M file!
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Moonlight*

Post by Moonlight* »

Yes Out of Breath..seems to be downloading very slow right now. Normally I have been able to download one of those tunes in a minute or less with high speed internet. Not sure what's up there right now. Will notify Alan when he comes online and get back to you.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Moonlight* wrote:Yes Out of Breath..seems to be downloading very slow right now.
I suspect it's the million or so hits the Chiffy Chat Xmas tunes are getting worldwide. :)

Carol
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cskinner wrote:
Moonlight* wrote:Yes Out of Breath..seems to be downloading very slow right now.
I suspect it's the million or so hits the Chiffy Chat Xmas tunes are getting worldwide. :)

Carol
If I'd known so many people were going to have access, I might've tried on my recordings. :D
Reasonable person
Walden
artguy

Post by artguy »

Yup. I guess we're all coming home from work, checkin' out C&F and downloading every song to enjoy. I thought it was just me. I'm also getting incomplete files. They get cut off at the end, like Silent Night's last few bars are missing. I'll try again later.

I think all the artists should list the instruments used in each selection and what exact whistle was used (assuming they all contain whistles). Not necessary, of course, but cool to know, IMHO.

bob
<b>"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" (1820)
Moonlight*

Post by Moonlight* »

Outofbreath...Alan is aware and looking into it.
Also...when we are sure we have all the tunes we are going to have on the site, I will be putting together a little CD jacket that can be downloaded for those of you who are making a CD. (as we did last year)The tune titles/artists will be listed and will try to fit in the instruments played as well.
Thanks for all the kind comments! I know all of us who contributed appreciate the feedback.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Thanks all, I guess I'll be patient and download the tunes after Christmas for next year :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

artguy wrote:Yup. I guess we're all coming home from work, checkin' out C&F and downloading every song to enjoy. I thought it was just me. I'm also getting incomplete files. They get cut off at the end, like Silent Night's last few bars are missing. I'll try again later.

I think all the artists should list the instruments used in each selection and what exact whistle was used (assuming they all contain whistles). Not necessary, of course, but cool to know, IMHO.

bob
OK, here goes:

Peavey acoustic guitar on "The First Noel".
Peavey electric guitar on "Bring a Torch".
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer.
Oak D whistle.
Kerry Low D whistle.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

O Christmas Tree: Busman Bocote D
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Silent Night--Serpent polymer D, Howard low D

This is the original Silent Night melody from the 1818 version; the way we sing it today is slightly changed from the original, which was written as a duet for two male voices and guitar.

For more information, please see

http://www.geocities.com/viennaonline/ai/ai1299.html

I find a breathy whistle is perfect for playing Christmas carols.

--James