Born again Low D: the saga of an avatar

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Born again Low D: the saga of an avatar

Post by Zubivka »

The tale of the Broken Arrow

Stacey--you know, the chef, CEO, chifftain and fipplartist at Alba Whistles--devised a nice personal feature to this new low D I ordered.

You may call it a case of motorbikers’ masonry : she thought my strapping of low whistles on the pillion seat with a bungie cord may be not the safest transport for a whistle. Or the best to keep it warm until arrived at the pub.

So she made this low D non only cut to be tunable, but also splitting in-between the third and fourth holes. Great: now the longer section is only 235 mm (some 9 in.1/4), shorter than a regular pennywhistle. The three pieces fit nicely, safe and warm, in the breast pocket of the Barbour jacket, or the side pocket of my phot-hog’s gadget bag. When assembled, the seam of the lower section is hard to see, so it doesn't hit the fingers.

There was also some strange design on the lower end, like an invert flare, but later on this.
I try out the whistle immedaitely, of course. Great Alba’s sound, but with with an extra bit of back-pressure adding the resonance of a fog-horn. So I wouldn’t call it exactly “typical” Alba low D sound; more like “Honk if you’re horny, dear President.”

Cool damp spring mornings are tough on whistles: lot of condensation. So, at some point, I shake the juice out, as usual : hand on the tube, with the thumb and forefinger securely clasped on the head, and give it an energetic shake... like batting for a home run.

“Whizz!” went the third detachable section I forgot about. It flew up vertically, bounced on the ceiling oak beam, near-missed the window, crashed on the tiled floor, then gracefully rebounded to smash its other end as well.

Talking of disaster! When I looked, the prodigal tube was crushed flat on both ends. In shock, I still clenched on the rest of the whistle, until I realized I had no real use for an overbore tabor pipe in A flat...

Well, this did teach me. I use SWABS to dry my whistles, now.
Incidentally, a look at the ruins of an Alba Low D also gave a good laugh to a visiting llama. Gossiping camel cousine, too: so, hearing the story, Stacey had also a good laugh, started making fun of my “broken arrow”. I guess that also taught me, like not to expect brotherly Christian sympathy from them female knnniggets...

I packed the triple split corpse in a nice cardboard, then sent it back to Scotland so it would get a decent funeral in the land of its ancestors. Well, instead of this, Stacey decided to resurrect the “Broken arrow”. It probably took a lot of work, annealing and all, but maybe sh’ell explain the processes herself.

It came back here a couple days ago. Plays as well, or even better as new.

One detail I did not immediately notice, before the first, careful and gentle swabbing over my thickest carpet. Now, it looks much better, too. Stacey added a nice touch of “fipple art” to the mouthpiece. Care to see it? Check my new avatar :lol:
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I love this story. I love your fipple!
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Besides her quality insturments and her nearly always entertaining GIF's, Staceys fipple art is becoming legendary in its own time!

More from this camp in the near future hopfully!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Broken Arrow is one of Oklahoma's few cities large enough to have a Kinkos®, and also some religious outfit with a big Christmas light display.
Reasonable person
Walden
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Walden wrote:Broken Arrow is one of Oklahoma's few cities large enough to have a Kinkos®, and also some religious outfit with a big Christmas light display.
:lol: Its also what they call a missiel what an't gone bang :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

[quote="emmline"]I love this story. I love your fipple![/quote]
:lol: You have to be carefull where you say this :lol:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:
emmline wrote:I love this story. I love your fipple!
Nah--safe enough if the arrow is really broken...

Btw, how did you straighten out the dear old thing, practically? :D
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cool, Zoob! The fipple art looks like some Pictish carvings I've seen photos of......

Was that your inspiration, Stacy?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I was going to ask about that fipple. It's unique and very cool.
emmline

Post by emmline »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:
emmline wrote:I love this story. I love your fipple![/quote]
I'm not scared.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Nanohedron wrote:Cool, Zoob! The fipple art looks like some Pictish carvings I've seen photos of......

Was that your inspiration, Stacy?
Its inspired by Pictish carving,we have a few Pictish stones around here. :)
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well now I`m bumbed. I am playing, what I think is the finest of low D whistles only to find now that it lacks fipple art. My Alba must be prefipple art. I am now crying the blues. Oh hey maybe I`ll play the blues.

Tom
trisha

Post by trisha »

Blackbeer wrote:Well now I`m bumbed. I am playing, what I think is the finest of low D whistles only to find now that it lacks fipple art. My Alba must be prefipple art. I am now crying the blues. Oh hey maybe I`ll play the blues.

Tom
Cheer up Tom, it's really not an issue unless you have eyes in your chin. And who knows which way up Zoob's playing it now - à la mode d'elephant rose probably. Translated - his preferred Abell style.

Trisha
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

trisha wrote:Cheer up Tom, it's really not an issue unless you have eyes in your chin. And who knows which way up Zoob's playing it now - à la mode d'elephant rose probably. Translated - his preferred Abell style.
To translate the translation, I had this Able made of pink elephant's tusk (aka Boozhornia pinkoliphantis), and I loved its sound. However, I found out that the bizarre shape of its mouthpiece--pointy with a sharp edge on top--felt like Jumbo's revenge. By turning this mouthpiece upside down (with the window towards my chest) I found it more comfortable, less threatening and clearer sounding.

Now, the difference is Albas have a very comfy mouthpiece--and only the normal way up. Good thinking, or I'd keep squinting at this fipple.

You know, Tom, this is my only Alba with fipple artwork. When Stacey started offering these as an option, I was at loss for choice, and stayed with plain "fundamentalist" no-frills fipples. The Broken Arrow, as you read, is a consequence of a different story and I'm doubly glad Stacey herself picked the theme and inlaid it. Must be my overgrown kid side: I like surprises. :)
However, now I've seen what Stacey can do, I certainly won't skip the option in the future...
It's true: I read it on Internet.