Quiet Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Treasach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quiet Whistles

Post by Treasach »

Hello to all!!

This might be a dumb question but here goes!
Is there a way to make a whistle quieter? :-?
I work nights & on my days off I'm up at night.
My wife & daughters are asleep.
That's the best time for me to practice but if I play I'll wake them up & you knows what that means!!! :evil:
Is there anything that I can do?
I'll buy a whistle just to try any suggestions out on.
Please let me know!
My wife will be greatful! :)
Treasach
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Please do a little search on quiet whistles....this topic has been covered extensively recently. click on the search up by the page title and type QUIET WHISTLE. You'll get a lot of hits.

never mind....here is one link.....I'm sure there is something about quiet whistles on nearly every page of this board.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=15788
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

Here's some good info from Brother Steve's tin-whistle pages

How to mute your whistle
I got this tip from Winnipeg-based whistle teacher Sue Hammer, who got it from the fine flute and whistle player John Skelton.

For times when you want to play quietly, get some of that stuff called "blue tack" or "sticky tack" (a kind of putty used to stick posters on walls inside the house). Take a small ball of the stuff and place it on the "exit ramp" of the whistle's windway - at the end of the window farthest from your mouth. Experiment with different positions - you'll find you can adjust the volume of your whistle from full to zero by rolling the ball back and forward, obscuring more or less of the window.

If you don't have any of that blue goo handy, here's a tip from a reader: "Another great way to play quietly to yourself is to turn the whistle out to the side like a flute and blow in the top. You'll still hear faint pitch, keep your whistle warm and in tune, or begin thinking of purchasing a keyless flute." Steve Cooper

A variation on the above: "Holding the whistle as you normally would, rest the mouthpiece just under your lower lip, blowing into the "exit ramp". This keeps the whistle in the correct position but gives you the same light, airy sound. (A novice whistler, I learned this trick by accident when a family member was trying to nap in the same room I was playing in... it works great!)" Susy Yarbrough