Lon Dubh Wooden Whistle Mini-Review - Updated

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Lon Dubh Wooden Whistle Mini-Review - Updated

Post by JessieK »

Edit and Update: I am not changing the below review, but I just got a blackwood one of these and it is louder than the rosewood one. The first octave is sweet and more pure than the rosewood one, and the second octave, though it does require some more push than the rosewood one, is not shrill. I think it is lovely and totally session-ready. There are clearly differences from one whistle to another, made by the same artisan, and I think it's more because of individual variation than the wood it's made from, but I will say that even with these differences, there is plenty to be loved and cherished in each one. These are great whistles.

Original Review, unchanged:

I just got this "Little Blackbird" d whistle (made in Ireland by Pat O'Dwyer - I wish I knew more about the maker) today, but it was sitting outside my house since probably Friday afternoon (three days ago - geez - UPS). I let it thaw in its case before taking it out. Before I go into my opinion, I will mention that I ordered it from Whistle and Drum. Blayne said I'd be the first, other than himself, in America to have one. They are not cheap, but this is a unique whistle, different from any other I have played (and that's a lot), and, though very lightweight (I will be careful with it), it is simply beautiful to look at. The holes are sanded very nicely, as if played for years. It is dark rosewood, which surprises me - I thought rosewood was heavier than this whistle is. I was enchanted by Blayne's recording (posted on his site on the page for this whistle), and I listened to it a whole bunch of times before ordering one, because my priorities have changed, blah blah blah, I am getting ready to have a baby and all that. But I went ahead anyway, and I am glad I did. I agree with everything Blayne wrote about the whistle except one thing: I think it is NOT loud enough for a session. It is a quiet whistle, perfect for a living room or for recording (and, hopefully, for putting babies to sleep - the cats sure love it). You can hear the tone on Blayne's site - http://www.whistleanddrum.com - in his recording. It is simply beautiful. It has, seriously, the easiest and smoothest second octave I have ever encountered on a whistle. The first octave is not as rich as some other whistles, but it's fine, and better than many. The volume is extremely well balanced between octaves, and I really enjoy the sound and ease of the high notes. One has to hold back less on this than on inexpensive whistles, but it's kind of similar, and, as demonstrated by Blayne, the tone is much less finicky. The volume is similar to a Rose whistle, maybe a little quieter, but better balanced (the high octave isn't much louder than the low). It feels a bit more woody (I don't know if that makes sense) than most other wooden whistles. The tone has a pleasant grainyness (I made up that word) - not breathy at all, but, um, woody. I am going to take some time to get to know it better, but I am impressed, especially by the fact that someone has produced something different from anything else out there.
Last edited by JessieK on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~JessieD
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

As one blackbird to another... I must have this whistle! :o The tone is *exactly* what I have been looking for. And what a beauty in appearance too. I think I'm in :love: .

Thanks for bringing this one to attention, Jessie. My flute dream may just have to wait a bit. :-D

::wanders off whistling "All I Want For Christmas"::

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

You're welcome!

:)
~JessieD
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Lon Dubh Wooden Whistle Mini-Review

Post by Blayne Chastain »

JessieK wrote:It is stained rosewood, which surprises me - I thought rosewood was heavier than this whistle is....I agree with everything Blayne wrote about the whistle except one thing: I think it is NOT loud enough for a session. It is a quiet whistle, perfect for a living room or for recording (and, hopefully, for putting babies to sleep - the cats sure love it)..
Jessie... thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts... BTW, the Rosewood from what Pat told me is not stained or even finished other than sanding and then oiling - which by the way, the rosewood loves to soak up the oil so make sure to oil it when you get a chance... He didn't want to put a finish on it so that the wood could breath and be more responsive. The light weight comes from the VERY thin walls... once again, good reason to make sure it is oiled regularly and kept in a humidified environment (if you're in a dry climate) - basically, treat it as you would your other flutes and whistles.

Also, as far as volume goes... I'll make sure to add that it is on the quiet side for sessions on the site. My experience of it in sessions was at the Spanish Arch in Galway. I was sitting across the room from the 3rd place winner of the all IR while he was playing away with about 30+ other players including pipes,fiddles, flutes, boxes, bodhrans, etc.... I personally could hear him fine... Whether or not HE could hear himself much, I'm not sure... It's amazing how whistles that don't seem loud to the player can still really carry - but I definately agree that it's not as loud as an O'Riordan, Copeland, Silkstone, etc... I used to think the same about the improved O'Briain and while it is on the VERY quiet side, it still carries through pretty good... Great for when you might not have all the kinks worked out on your end of the tune!

Below is a pic of the session I mentioned... What you can't see are the other 20 plus musicians all around us... Holy Craic Batman!

Also, I spoke with Pat last week and we're going to have a BUNCH more content regarding him and the whistle including more soundclips by the 1st and 3rd place winners in the all IR... Apparently this whistle or some variation of it took 2nd last year Pat tells me.

Well, that's about it for now - I try not to be too self promotional on the board but needless to say we are quite honored to represent such a talent!

Whistle on!
chas

Post by chas »

A question for you, Blayne -- Does the maker use any other woods -- say, boxwood or mopane?

Jessie, this sounds like a winner. Thanks for clueing us in!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Our next batch will be in African Blackwood (Grenadilla)... We'll then have some in Maple and Purpleheart... Next time I chat with Pat I'll ask him about Mopane and Boxwood. We will generally always carry the Rosweood and Blackwood in stock because most prefer those timbres but will try to have the maple and purpleheart and whatever else he's experimenting with on hand as well.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

Hi Jessie... I would be interested in reading a comparison of this whistle to the Abell D, which, as I recall, has been one of your favorite whistles.

Don
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hey Jessie!
I too would like to see a good comparison between the Blackbird to an Abell D, Thin Weasel, O’Riordan or Rose whistle. You are the most likely person to have had these beauties in your possession.
While checking out the Pat O'Dwyer whistle at Blayne’s website I noticed the fantastic X-mas sale on your “Sterling Silver Irish Tin Whistle Pendant with Snake Chain necklace”. You won’t be able to buy many more whistles in the future with that kind of price setting ;-)

Cheers!
/MarcusR
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, at $0, neither Blayne nor I are doing too well on the whistle pendants! ;) A computer glitch, I am sure.

Abell D, Thin Weasel, O’Riordan or Rose whistle. Ok.

O'Riordans are pure and loud. Thin Weasels are, too. My beloved Abell is unmatched. It has a lovely simple and unassuming richness that other whistles just don't approach. I am referring here to MY Abell, as I have played many others that lacked this. Unfortunately, they vary tremendously, but luckily, all the wood ones improve with time. Also, my Abell and Abells in general seem to be the perfect volume for just about anything. I play mine in public, in recordings, and sitting in the living room, although the last one is certainly challenged by this new whistle. Rose whistles are very sweet, indeed, and they have a lovely second octave, but at a ceili, the first octave couldn't be heard by the player or anyone else. I played it and had commentary and my friend played it and I heard what he was talking about. The Blackbird, as I mentioned, sounds a little more woody that the others. It possesses that special extra character, and the sound is very endearing. I still maintain that it is a quiet whistle, but I think it's possible that the blackwood ones will be considerably louder. Also, a little variation in the size of the window would make it louder. Let it be known that I am reviewing the ONE I have played. The craftsmanship is really solid, extra care is taken on every detail, from the sanded holes to the engraving on the brass ferrules, and I think there will be consistency between them, but if it were louder, the second octave wouldn't be as palatable as it is. It's lovely. It's lightweight (easier on the fingers than heavier whistles) and the mouthpiece is shaped perfectly for fitting in the mouth.

Yes, I could write more about the other whistles, but I have done that in past threads, and this thread is about this whistle.
~JessieD
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Jessie, do you have the regular brass end or the wider brass end? On the Lon Dubh, that is. :)

~Andrea
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have the regular brass end, but I would suggest the larger brass end, as the delrin (and thicker wood) in the mouthpiece make(s) it heavier on the top than the bottom. It's not a problem, but a little more balance is a good idea. On the one I have, the center of balance is about half an inch above the top finger hole.
~JessieD
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Jessie - the clip of the new whistle sounds wonderful, even with Blayne playing it ( :D :D :D ). I might be interested in the African blackwood when it's ready.

Since you mentioned the pendant, thought it was a good time to let you know that after having it in the drawer for almost a year, it has now become my daughter's favorite and every day wear! Beautiful, simple, classy and different. One problem: her friends keep asking if she can play it; now if you can just add the holes, top, bottom, very teeny tone holes... Have a wonderful happy healthy holiday season.

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

PhilO wrote:...Whistle pendant...has now become my daughter's favorite and every day wear!
That's great! :) Thanks for telling me.

If it were playable it would cost A LOT more.
~JessieD
Tres

Post by Tres »

Jessie:

How does this whistle compare to the Burke pro narrow bore, which is the easiest playing, most balanced whistle I have played? Have you played a Burke narrow bore?

Tres
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, I have played and owned Burke narrow bore whistles.

The Blackbird has a lot more personality.
~JessieD