Any Seth Gallagher's flute around?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leonard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any Seth Gallagher's flute around?

Post by Leonard »

Like a lot of you, I noticed this new maker ( www.uilleann.com/flute ) witch has very attractive pictures on the site.

But I just did a search and absolutly nobody here seems to have one up to last september.

Few tried one sometime but no more.

But since they look like very very good flute, I'm really curious!

So up to now, anybody has purchase one?

Francois

Speak friend and enter.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I just noticed him last week and found out that he is about 30 miles from where I live. At my next Saturday opportunity (probably the weeekend after Thanksgiving), my husband and I are going to head over to his shop so I can try some of his flutes. I'll let you all know how it goes.

:)
~JessieD
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I tried one of Seth's flutes this summer. It was great! They're Pratten-style flutes. Very well made, excellent tone.

I recall reading somewhere that Brian Holleran is playing one of Seth's flutes now, which is a very good endorsement. Brian is a brilliant young flute player from the New York area who studied with Mike Rafferty. He's one of the best flute players of his generation in the U.S. today, and you could take away "of his generation" and that sentence would still be true.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Another brilliant young New York-based flute player is Chris Layer. He didn't have a Gallagher flute last time I talked with him (maybe February? March?), but he said he had gotten to spend a whole day playing one, and he liked it every bit as much as his Olwell. Now if that's not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!! Oh, and that was when Seth had only made about 5 flutes (Chris was playing one of the prototypes), so they may have even gotten better since then. Scary thought!

:-)
Steven
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

For a Pratten-style instrument, they're not hard to fill.

JessieK, be sure and give the pipes a wide berth up there least you fall prey to the Dark Side.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I may receive some negative feedback here, but I really don't like pipes. They are too loud and too nasal-sounding to my ear. I know it's politically incorrect in Irish music circles to dislike the sound of the pipes, but there you have it. I've outed myself.
~JessieD
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Off wit her heed!!! :D

Regards,
- Ryan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vewwy sexy looking flutes.
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

JessieK wrote:I may receive some negative feedback here, but I really don't like pipes.
Wasn't your avatar in color like hours ago?

Or do I smoke too much crack?

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yeah, it was in color. Every time I saw it, it seemed to cheery or something, too loud, so I converted it to grayscale.
~JessieD
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

:lol: Good one, sturob.

Loud? Depends. Flat sets aren't loud at all. Nasal? Depends on the maker and reed/bore design. Seth's personal instruments are pretty mellow.

Now I can see how you'd have an argument with certain makers' instruments.

Anyway, no one sez you hafta like them. Just keep in mind that a lousy-sounding set of pipes might sound lousy becuz of the eedjit sitting behind them, or the eedjit that made them.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

JessieK wrote:Yeah, it was in color. Every time I saw it, it seemed to cheery or something, too loud, so I converted it to grayscale.
Yeah, if Brad's avatar were in color, it might be a little too hard to take...

Love to try one of Seth's flutes sometime...A Pratten-style flute that's not hard to fill?...Ahh...I think I like them already...
brad maloney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by brad maloney »

My friend has a roving Seth Gallagher flute that he's given to many great players around Boston to try out. Everyone has given it rave reviews, really big dry pratten sound & very well made. I think I'm next on the list to try it out. (Even though I'm not worth a damn on the flute, I'd like to check out the construction) When & if I get a try on it I'll give a report, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it.
Play Happy
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:
Yeah, if Brad's avatar were in color, it might be a little too hard to take...
Color film hadn't even been invented yet when that photo was taken! :)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

JessieK wrote:I really don't like pipes. They are too loud and too nasal-sounding to my ear.
You have never listened to the uilleann flat sets, huh? They are like cats purring :boggle: