best chanter?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bullet08

best chanter?

Post by bullet08 »

i've been reading this forum to see which practice set would be the best investment for sometime to come. if i'm going to start playing the uilleann pipes, might as well get the best practice set. the price from what i see in the net is that they are any where from $950 US to $1200 US.. if there is difference, might as well go with the best sounding chanter even if it cost little more.

only thing is.. i don't see any common opinion as to who makes best chanter.

in highland pipes, if you go with say.. david naill chanters for solo (band is different story..), you can't really go wrong.

is there any certain makers chanter that one can't really go wrong with?

thanks in advance,
peter kim
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

B08, this is entirely a matter of personal opinion. Did you read the FAQs? Your question is specifically addressed and dodged there at the same time to prevent a war.

Listening to recordings won't tell you much, as an expert player can overcome some chanters' problems, plus modern recording techniques can mask many problems, plus some players have vintage sets that are not an option for you anyway.

In order to form your own impression/opinion, get together with some players and listen. If you're really good, they might let you try their sets. If you are a first-time player it is important that you find a maker near to you. Again, this is all covered in the FAQs.

djm
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

I think the best thing you can do is to try to hear as many chanters as you can in person, such as at a tionol, and choose what you personally like. Ultimately it was what you think is the best chanter and sound for you that matters not what anyone else says, otherwise you will end up buying a dozen chanters or more!
Ailin
giles b

Post by giles b »

Any chanter from Craig Fischer, flat or concert, if you can stand to wait. They are very stable and have a beautiful tone. Mine has never skipped a beat for many years and lots of travel and climate change.

Any flat pitch Wooff chanter would do you fine, another one you would have to wait for. I have a few of them, two from the early 80's, and have never had to mess with any of them (reeds that is), even after leaving them idle for a while. I have travelled with these a lot too without any problems. I have only seen two of his concert pitch chanters and these were very old and not going so well, I can't vouch for these.

I've seen great sets from Quinn Kohler, they are almost certainly worth having.

All these guys make narrow bore chanters which is the older style instrument. I think there is greater possibility for cross fingering, tone variation and off the knee playing with narrow bore chanters. I like these better than wider bore, I think they have a sweeter tone (though I do like the sound of wide bore pipes in good hands too).

What I did and would recomend to anyone is get yourself a good chanter to start out on and get yourself on the lists of either/all of these guys, none of them take deposits(not sure about Quinn Kohler). In however long it takes (years), you will be contacted and informed that your pipes are being made and asked to pay a deposit. If all has gone well for you, you will have been playing your practice set for ages and will be well ready for a full set of Wooff or Fischer or whatever (I think Quinn Kohler don't take orders at the moment).

Good luck
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

See these:

C & F Uilleann pipes FAQ
UP Information List Pipe Makers, Instruction, Advice section
NPU's Buying a Set of Uilleann Pipes

Since you are in Durham (according to another thread), Pat Sky is the guy to see.

plsky@intrex.net
meir

Post by meir »

you mention GHBs, and how you cannot go wrong with a certain chanter, which is absolutely true. however, it is important that you understand the most important reasons why the comparison is not valid. it has something to do with the fact that our chanters are individually made, so each is a different animal. it has even more to do with reeds.

if you have reed problems with a ghb chanter, you just order another and it will come in days. and it will almost always work. and it will work almost anywhere in the world. UPs do not work that way. the reeds are almost zero percent interchangable between different makers. even with the same maker, it may or may not be possible to "distance reed" without the chanter being returned to the maker (most american makers, however, can send you a replacement reed without having the chanter in hand.) and UP reeds perfected for one climate may work poorly elsewhere, or work well only part of the year. furthermore, there are 3 notes (some would say more), of which 1, 2, or all 3 are often dicey and hard to get at the beginning. at that point, its nice to be able to talk to your maker, who can give you advice and tell you if its you or the reed.

what this means is that for a particular well made chanter, the reed will make you or break you. a poorly reeded chanter by an excellent maker will sound lousier than a mediocre chanter with a well made reed which is a "good fit".

so by all means, invest in a maker with a name who is close to your location. its the most important factor by far. the climate will be similar, and the vendor will be near by to help you, and easy for shipping reeds back and forth.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Practice set

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Seth Gallagher has a much shorter wait list than he has had and I play a D set that is very fine.

Another option for a practice set, particularly if you don't wish to wait very long:

Mark Donohoe of Kerry, is making practice sets for about 950 euros. I believe that he said that he can ship within the month. I just bought and received a bag and bellows from him and I have to say that I am impressed with the crafmanship, particularly relative to the cost. I have seen photos of his chanter and it appears more higher end than some of the newbee proatice sets out there and I have heard that there are others that have played his chanters and were impressed. I am awaiting a chanter from him and will let you know my view and will ask other piper's in our club (and a few pros that we see in NYC what they think). You may want to call and chat with him about this. tel. 353 066 9766306
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Sound advice here.

Simply put, Look at reeds and reed making ability first, and only THEN should you look at chanters. I've had nothing but trouble with my reeds for almost two years, now and I think the chanter itself may be relatively OK. Secondly, if you can afford them, I would also suggest getting a few keys. They are something you can always add later, but by the time you think you need them, it's another big outlay of cash, not to mention several months at best in many cases to have to send your chanter away and have them installed. Best to just have it all done at once. Cnat and Fnat seem to be common choices, some (like me) would prefer a couple more as well.

Most importantly of all, find a maker who will cater to you as much as possible, instead of you having to bend to his/her particular tastes. Just because a maker may like a loud chanter doesn't mean you will also. Spend some time on the phone, and even do a bit of travelling if you need to. Try to get your hands on as many chanters from as many different makers as possible - near your own location and climate is always best.

Good Luck!

B~
eran

Post by eran »

so whats your advice for someone who lives in israel and would love to buy a practice set, but doesnt have ANY maker in the near or even far distance... :-?

im looking and looking...
but its such a hard thing to find a set, which you can afford
and to your taste...
not wait so long...
keys...
reeds...

i really would like to get into this but it seems like it is not possible.

maybe i should just get a pakistani practice set and just start play a bit

:-? :-?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

eran wrote:....maybe i should just get a pakistani practice set and just start play a bit
With all the warnings against buying one, why would you waste your money on some 'wood and leather' that looks like Uilleann pipes?
eran

Post by eran »

im not really going to do that...

just wanted to show my frustration :-?

my attention has been drawn to marc van daal's pipes...

looks great

anyone has any experiance with them?
Thies

Post by Thies »

eran wrote:anyone has any experiance with them?
You can ask Rick (look for him in the Memberlist). He has a Half-Set (?) made by Marc.

Cheers, Thies