Fiddler Brian Conway

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
carrie

Fiddler Brian Conway

Post by carrie »

I just got a flyer announcing that New York fiddler Brian Conway will be doing an "Evening of Irish Music" at the same place I heard John Daly and Tommy Peoples last spring. I guess I shouldn't miss this?

Carol
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Definitely not one to miss!

Brian's fiddling is masterful, influenced by the Sligo fiddlers of the New York City area, especially Andy McGann. He's excellent.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I really wish we could get a few more top pipers coming over from Ireland on a regular basis...But I understand if they're wary of our climate.

It's terrible for pipe reeds :(
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks, Brad. I'll go!

Pat, you're right. I never seem to hear of pipers coming to Chicago, though I'm not exactly in the pipers'...oh...pipeline, I guess you could say. Btw, the flyer says that "Chicago's own Conneeley Sisters" are also on the bill. Know anything about them?

Carol
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Bernie and Pauline Conneely. They were born in the UK (London, I think) to a musical family - Mick Conneely, the fiddler, is a relation, perhaps an older brother.

Anyway, they're both superb tenor banjo players. Bernie has an especially nice way with a jig.

They're also wickedly funny if you get a chance to talk to them.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Pat Cannady wrote:Bernie and Pauline Conneely. They were born in the UK (London, I think) to a musical family - Mick Conneely, the fiddler, is a relation, perhaps an older brother.

Anyway, they're both superb tenor banjo players. Bernie has an especially nice way with a jig.

They're also wickedly funny if you get a chance to talk to them.
Oh! Bernie, eh? I saw her perform with Liz Carroll one night. Wonderful!

Thanks, Pat.

Carol
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

A musical family indeed...also related to the brilliant whistle player Kathleen Conneely, who lives in the Boston area. She's fantastic.
brad maloney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by brad maloney »

Brian's a great player & maybe even a better teacher. Tell him I finally got all my jig bowing in order when you see him & give him a big thank you for me :)
Play Happy
carrie

Post by carrie »

Gee, now I feel I should not only go see these folks but also invite them all over for dinner!

Sounds like a wonderful evening of music and spirit--thanks everyone.

Carol
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well, a little late reporting back, but:

The night was just great. The Conneely sisters were not there, after all, but there were many musical treats besides Brian Conway himself, who was wonderful--and full of touching stories about the music and the people who gave it to him. The show opened with Jimmy Keane (piano accordion) and Pat Broaders (dordan and voice), both members of Bohola--very bright and bouncy! Then there were three young performers, all influenced by their East Coast teachers--Cleek Schrey (fiddle); Matt Mulqueen (piano); and Sean McComiskey (box, son of Bill). They were terrific. Kieran O'Hare then played uilleann pipes and whistle (on whistle he played the hornpipes from his Double-Barrelled CD with John Skelton), accompanied by Dennis Cahill; and the second half of the show was Brian Conway, accompanied by Brendan Dolan, son of Felix (starting to sound Bibilical here, eh?). Actually, of course, the span of generations was a lovely part of the evening. The night had been organized by fiddler John Daly, whose CD debut event was there last spring, with the great Tommy Peoples. Hats off to John for putting together a great evening, and to all the performers. A memorable and thoroughly enjoyable night of great music that kept at its center the personalities and connections that keep the tradition alive.

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cskinner wrote:...the span of generations...
Careful, there, Carol! It's bordering on the "spam" of generations, there. :D

Sounds like it was brilliant. Too bad I missed it.