Hoover Whitecap: Initial Impressions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hoover Whitecap: Initial Impressions

Post by peeplj »

I ordered a whitecap from Mack Hoover. This is a replacement fipple that fits on a standard Generation-sized tube (Feadog, Oak, Acorn, etc). It is made of white polymer--thus "whitecap." It is $20.

This doesn't sound like something to get all worked up over when you first hear about it. I figured I would buy one and stick it on a Feadog tube just to see.

Well, I've had some trouble getting the original fipple of a Feadog, but did have an old brass Generation D tube handy when the whitecap arrived, so I used it to try it out.

WOW.

No other word suffices.

$20 for the whitecap, $6 for the tube, and you get a whistle that is now as good as any I've ever played.

The volume is very soft, just slightly louder and with a bit more bite than the Burke Al-Pro D. The octaves are beautifully balanced: you can play all the way up without it going shrill at all. The tone is just lovely, clean and clear but bright, not dull at all.

I would recommend a whitecap to anyone. It's the best $20 you'll ever spend on your whistling.

--James
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Along the same lines is Gary H's retro-fit head. I recently received one of these from Gary and it turned my "pretty good" Oak D whistle into one of my top two favorites. The Oak is now louder and cleaner sounding, with less breath control squeeks and squawks...really a very nice whistle. It still retains the "Oak sound" that I like (compared to other cheap whistles) and is very "poppy" and responsive.

I'll have to get a white cap at some point and compare the two.

-Brett
glauber

Post by glauber »

Same here, whitecap on D Generations, quickly becoming my favourite whistle. Incredibly efficient, so much so i can pretty much play for as long as i can hold my breath. I usually have plenty of stale air still in the lungs by the time i have to take more air in! Beautiful pure and penetrating sound, very balanced.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Whitecap on a Feadog tube is my favorite whistle. Even after several months of swearing by a new Burke I received, I find myself going back to my Whitecap/Feadog almost exclusively again.

Susan
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I also had trouble trying to remove the fipple from a Feadog D. I used the boiling water and soaked it over and over but no luck. What else can one do to remove the fool thing?

Ron
Davey

fipple removal...

Post by Davey »

...use a propane torch..but be sure to plug your nose and step back..

drip, drip, drip... :twisted:
glauber

Post by glauber »

If you're not interested in keeping the fipple, you should be able to break it off, no? maybe stick a screwdriver in the windway. :twisted:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

RonKiley wrote:I also had trouble trying to remove the fipple from a Feadog D. I used the boiling water and soaked it over and over but no luck. What else can one do to remove the fool thing?

Ron
According to Dale's tweaking instructions (see main website), that should be hot water, not boiling...perhaps the mouthpiece has warped.

Susan
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

RonKiley wrote:I also had trouble trying to remove the fipple from a Feadog D. I used the boiling water and soaked it over and over but no luck. What else can one do to remove the fool thing?

Ron
Well, if you're just trying to make it tunable, don't bother, The minimal gain isn't worth the effort. If, OTOH, you're removing it to put a Whitecap on it, just use a sidecutter or a small file to crack the plastic and it'll come right off.
Last edited by Chuck_Clark on Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm still working on trying to ease it off gently. I'd like to keep it for experimenting with tweaks, etc.

Of course, I'm sure my wife would happily point out to you that I never throw anything away anyhow. :twisted:

--James
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

susnfx wrote:

Ron
According to Dale's tweaking instructions (see main website), that should be hot water, not boiling...perhaps the mouthpiece has warped.

Susan
Boiling water can and will warp a mouthpiece. I just ruined one trying to get it off an acorn the other day. Carefull about how you grip it. On mine the beak twisted slightly, and the windway warped both sideways and inward. Shame too. It was really decent for out of the box condition.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
peteinmn

Re: Hoover Whitecap: Initial Impressions

Post by peteinmn »

peeplj wrote:
I would recommend a whitecap to anyone. It's the best $20 you'll ever spend on your whistling.

--James
What James said plus;

My Whitecap topped Feadog tube has been my favorite high D for a couple of months now. My Whitecap/aluminum tenor A that I got a few weeks ago is easily the best of my "midrange" whistles. And, last but not least (tada, drumroll) the Whitecap/aluminum low D that fell into my hands two days ago is unbelivable. As advertised, it's not loud but, holy cow, does it sound nice! I can hardly believe that little old me can make sounds like that come out of a whistle! My other low D's will probably not see me much in the coming months.

Hoover Rules!
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree that Whitecaps rule.

Also, I happen to know that Beth (avanutria) has some whitecaps for sell.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Well, that's good news, since my Whitecap will be shipping on Monday. Although tweaking experiments did some good with the Feadog, I thought I'd move up a notch with the Whitecap.

Fortunately, the mouthpiece to my Feadog came off instantly with just a few seconds in hot water--hot enough to blister, but not quite boiling.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My Whitecap/Generation is my favorite whistle for playing in the house. It's quiet and sweet, and doesn't bother my wife/cats in the high register.
It is not so much a session whistle, as it downright refuses to be played too loudly (of course, this is usually a good thing for me, but when I am trying to learn a tune in a slow session I usually need to hear myself).

Anyway, I quite agree. Everyone should have at least one Whitecap. And Mack Hoover (a darn nice guy) signs and numbers his mouthpieces, which is kinda neat.