Flutes by John Wicks

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Flutes by John Wicks

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Has anybody heard of John Wicks and/or his flutes?

I came across the name on the eponymous CD by Scottish wünderkind, Finlay MacDonald. There's a picture of him playing the flute in the liner notes and it's definitely a keyless, symple system flute. The names isn't listed on Brad Hurley's website and a Google search only brought up a drummer from New Orleans.

BTW, this CD is worth checking out. It's Scottish piping oriented with some fast-fingered, upbeat playing on Highland and Border pipes plus a couple tracks with flute and fiddle.

Cheers,
Aaron
Last edited by AaronMalcomb on Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

I know Finlay well (I used to play in a pipe band with him) and I was talking to him about this just a few weeks ago. Aparently John Wicks was a maker for Rudall & Carte and is now a fair age (in his 80's I was led to believe). I think Finlay's dad Iain (not one of the famous 3 McDonald brothers, but a well kent face in piping and traditional music circles none the less), made contact with John and he agreed to make him a flute. I don't think John churns out very many flutes and, in fact, I believe Iain sent John the wood! (Probably requisitioned from a pipe maker, knowing Iain!)

So, that's about all I know on that score - he (was) is a maker, but I guess he is officially retired. I have played one of Finlay's flutes, I'm not sure if it was the Wicks. However, I get the impression from him that it plays fairly easily since he says that he is not a big fan of "old" flutes. (In my book, old usually equates to "challenging but rewarding" - and I should know, I play a Clementi-Nicolson)

BTW, look out for a new CD from Finlay, should be out soon if it is not already.

Cheers

Graham
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks, Graham, for the info. Rather interesting though I was hoping I had maybe stumbled on the Scottish version of Gille Lehart... oh well.

Did you play in Neilston? I'm just rediscovering Finlay's CD. I had bought it a few years ago and listened to it a little but my ears weren't ready for him. Now I've been giving it a few spins lately and I'm enjoying it. I heard a track from the new one on this week's Pipeline. Should be exciting.

Cheers,
Aaron
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Did you play in Neilston?
I sure did - it was a great band for being involved with other aspects of traditional music. Many of us also played small pipes and various other instruments, and we travelled all over the world and attended some fantastic festivals with the likes of Fred Morisson & Carlos Nunez. I started playing the flute after I borrowed a flute from Iain McDonald and went on a week long course with Brian Finnegan.

A Scottish version of Lehart would be nice! Given all the positive remarks about Lehart recently, I would say it's only a matter of time before his waiting list (if not his prices) start to creep up!

Cheers

Graham