Not really a suggestion - more of a 'hint' for Mack Hoover

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Not really a suggestion - more of a 'hint' for Mack Hoover

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I think everyone knows how much I appreciate Mack's whistles. And I've made no bones about loving my big brown Overton low D. But hey, I'm not getting any younger here! Low D's, even Colin's, take a LOT of AIR! Two passages and then I'm bent over sucking air like a two-packs-a-day smoker on a raquetball court.

It then seemed to me that if Mack could effectively reduce the air demands of his narrow bore brass D to zero, then why couldn't he do the same with a low D?

Now I know some spoilsport like Thomas-Hastay or BrewerrPaul or Serpent is going to spin out some physics psychobabble about such a thing violating the laws of nature or something like that. To which I reply, "this is the age of self-gratification - I *KNOW* what I want."
:D

So how about it, Mack? Think you can achieve the imnpossible? :twisted:

Heheheheheh
serpent

Re: Not really a suggestion - more of a 'hint' for Mack Hoov

Post by serpent »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I think everyone knows how much I appreciate Mack's whistles. And I've made no bones about loving my big brown Overton low D. But hey, I'm not getting any younger here! Low D's, even Colin's, take a LOT of AIR! Two passages and then I'm bent over sucking air like a two-packs-a-day smoker on a raquetball court.

It then seemed to me that if Mack could effectively reduce the air demands of his narrow bore brass D to zero, then why couldn't he do the same with a low D?

Now I know some spoilsport like Thomas-Hastay or BrewerrPaul or Serpent is going to spin out some physics psychobabble about such a thing violating the laws of nature or something like that. To which I reply, "this is the age of self-gratification - I *KNOW* what I want."

So how about it, Mack? Think you can achieve the imnpossible? :twisted:

Heheheheheh
Psychobabble? Us? No way! Somebody here came up with the bagwhistle, so if you don't wanna blow the durn things, just hook 'em up to a compressor with an HVLP regulator set at a couple PSI. Then all you gotta do is squeeze the bag.

Why is it that nobody ever thinks of the easy solution!? Welllll... carrying the compressor and a load of car batteries around with you could get a bit taxing, I guess...

serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Now I know some spoilsport like Thomas-Hastay or BrewerrPaul or Serpent is going to spin out some physics psychobabble about such a thing violating the laws of nature or something like that. To which I reply, "this is the age of self-gratification - I *KNOW* what I want."
Me? physics psychobabble? I know better than that! Whistles work by magic, not physics!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
eran

Post by eran »

heya chuck :-)

have you tried the dixon low D, im not comparing it with an overton but the air requierments are very low...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

eran wrote:heya chuck :-)

have you tried the dixon low D, im not comparing it with an overton but the air requierments are very low...
But be warned - not really a session weapon since the volume is also very low. Also, possibly for the same reason, it isn't very responsive; nice for slow airs, not as good for faster pieces.

I like mine - and it's wonderful for late-night playing - but "loud" or even "moderate" it isn't; my Serpent Low F, which Shanna Quay describes as suitable for quiet to medium sessions, is noticably louder than the Dixon.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

eran wrote:heya chuck :-)

Actually, yes. I have and play one, as much for the relaxed finger reach as anything else (which I also like about my Overton). But even that I have to play standing and I have trouble if a passage has a lot of high notes.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

serpent wrote:
Why is it that nobody ever thinks of the easy solution!? Welllll... carrying the compressor and a load of car batteries around with you could get a bit taxing, I guess...

serpent
Hmm, it has possibilities. How about I just carry the bag and a bandolier of cans of compressed air?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chuck, take the example of cauld-wind pipering to heart: use a bellows. It's so much more Luddite a solution than all this high-tech jibber-jabber. Compressed air, indeed. :roll:
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

It might be possible judging by the whitecap "A" I just got. The air requirement is much lower than you would guess by looking at it. After all, it has a 3/4 inch diameter tube. I can play the entire A part of some tunes on a single breath.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Mack's got some lovely new whistles in the works, and I know he loves a challenge... :)

I've got a low D Laughing whistle that takes very little air. As I understand it they are no longer in production. Mack if you're ever interested in borrowing it to take a look, let me know.

And I haven't forgotten about the money I owe you for my new whistle - I just haven't found my checkbook yet! :o If I don't find it in the next few days I'll ask Ben to write one for me.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I think a whistle having a air requirement close to zero might mean the possibility of difficulty in actually controlling the reduced amount of air required to play the notes properly...actually I find it more difficult to play expressively on Hoover Narrow Bore D (great for hernia patients, I tell ye) than on Overton hard-blow Soprano D (not recommended for serious chain-smokers) . With the former I have to control the flow of the air flowing into the instrument, and that means I have to know how I should handle my internal bagpipe, which is in fact harder (at least for me) than having to breath every three or four bars. With the latter, instead of gently taking care of the whistle, you only have to *wrestle with an angel*, sort of. Same goes for the low D's made by either makers, I think.

I like both Hoover and Overton whistles, only never got to play a Hoover low D. I must get one (after the hernia operation, that is. Notice the ope-rra-tsi-Ohn accent.)

:party:
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Psychobabble? Nah, get yourself a bicycle tire pump hook, duct tape to the fipple and have fun. Red Green would be proud.