Looking for a new reasonably priced high Eb whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
theweirdscotsman

Looking for a new reasonably priced high Eb whistle

Post by theweirdscotsman »

Hey guys. I currently have an obrian tweaked Eb and I think it's okay.
I'm needed a new Eb whistle that doesnt go too shrill at highest notes. I occasianly throw a 3rd octave D into things - see my post on the trad music forum here http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=14268 to see what i mean. I like my Burke D, and I was wondering how the Eb's compared. Thanks
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

You might consider a tweaked Shaw Eb. In the interest of not posting too commercial a message, I'll leave it to others on this board to fill you in on what you might expect from one.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A tweaked Shaw Eb is a fun whistle. Naturally it has a different tone because of the wood block which may or may not be the sort of tone your after. But it isn't a very conspicuous difference. The tweak job eliminates most of the airiness but not so much that it completely disappears.

As for higher octave notes it takes a little more effort but they come out very bright and strong.

I've had one for a couple weeks and I could definitely convince myself to get another one in a different key. The price is right too. I got my Shaw for about $15 and the tweak job wasn't too expensive either. And only a couple weeks waiting time too. You won't have paid more than for the O'Briain Improved when you have the final product.

If you're willing to part with the cash and you aren't in a hurry get on the list for a Sindt. Since you're familiar with Burke you would probably be safe there too.

Cheers,
Aaron
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

In Eb I make do with an Abell, an Overton a Generation and a Susato. The Gen needs a tweak but the Abell and Overton are great and the Susato is a good whistle but only to be recommended if you have at least a few years experience.

In the price range you indicate, the Eb whistle that gets people excited most is definitely the Sindt, but Burkes seem to be reliable in any key. I'd get on the list for a Sindt if I were you.

I'd also like to find a really good Generation Eb—I'm looking. From the reports of others and the evidence of CDs, if you can find one your search might be over.

Two final suggestions. You might want to consider a Syn which, in the D early prototype I have resembles a Burke in sound, or take up Jerry's suggestion. If I were you, I'd take up one or another of these suggestions whilst getting myself on the Sindt list and looking out for a good-out-of-the-box Generation. You can't go wrong here because none of the options is very pricey and, if you find you have more good Ebs than you need, you'll have excellent whistles for a trade later. What's more, you can always take yourself off the Sindt list if you are so inclined.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

I'd concur with Wombat about the Sindt Eb. Glenn Schultz makes an Eb Water Weasel. I like his D. A Water Weasel could work until you got a Sindt.
Jon
cj

Post by cj »

I like my Susato VSB Eb, but it takes a bit of contol, as others have said.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I have to agree that it would have to be an extraordinary whistle to beat the Eb Sindt, in my books-though at the end of the day,it's horses for courses-but if you want a 'super good' trad. type whistle then I think the Sindt could be what you are looking for.It's a real joy to play.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."