Does whistling make you cough?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Does whistling make you cough?

Post by slowair »

I've posted in the past about the green junk inside my brass whistle and was told that it's copper-oxide. And that it's toxic.

I've been cleaning my Sindt every week with a solution that Zub told me about. Sometimes I don't swab out the whistle EVERY time I use it.

In fact, since I got my Dixon I've only played it a few times. And I probably didn't swab it and haven't used the vinegar/salt solution either.

Today I played the Sindt for about an hour and I began to cough and choke after about 30 minutes.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just hypersensitive to the copper-oxide?

OR perhaps I'm just nuts.

And I'm not giving away or selling the Sindt, so please don't offer to take it off my hands. :)

So, what say yea, am I alone on this matter or does it effect others the same?

Mike
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think you're safe from the whistles, anyway.
Played these whistles a lot, and other brass
whistles, didn't cough. Sindt recommends
washing the whistle in dishwater and mild
detergent every week or two or three.
Never swabbed these.

Maybe there is another cause and it's transient.
If you have any questions about these things,
John Sindt is the fellow to ask, I reckon.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Does whistling make you cough?

Post by Bloomfield »

slowair wrote:Today I played the Sindt for about an hour and I began to cough and choke after about 30 minutes.
I think in may be perhaps that you are still a bit unused to playing a wind instrument? Sometimes people have trouble because they inhale more air than they actually put through the instrument before needing a fresh breath...

I don't think it's the brass anyway. Just consider that most brass instruments are made of, um... brass.
/Bloomfield
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

mike, if you cough with every whistle, then the whistle isn't the problem.
we're all nuts :wink:
missy

Post by missy »

first, from the MSDS of copper oxide:
"Health Hazards Acute & Chronic: CONTACT W/SKIN OR EYES MAY CAUSE IRRITATION (MILD (TRANSIENT). LUNG EFFECTS:METALLIC TASTE, IRRITATION OF UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT. METAL FUME FEVER CAN RESULT FROM INHALATION OF COPPER OXIDE DUSTS. RE PEATED SKIN CONTACT HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE KERATINIZATION OF THE HANDS. INGESTION MAY CAUSE G.I. DISTURBANCES. "

From this wording, it's not a great hazard - far from toxic.

Second, I can't play whistle at this time of year - there is TOO much ragweed and pollen in the air, and it causes me to cough, amoung other unpleasant side effects.

So - I'd check allergic reactions to other things before I'd suspect you were having a "toxic" reaction to copper oxide.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If I've got an upper respiratory irritation anyway, whistling will sometimes trigger my cough reflex. It was a real bummer when I had bronchitis...I wouldn't cough for hours and think "well, it won't hurt to play a few little tunes," but as soon as I'd start to play, it was "hack, hack, hack!"

Don't have a problem otherwise, though.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

No coughing here- and I smoke. :twisted:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I'm just recovering from pneumonia...ha...even breathing without coughing has been a challenge. :cry:

But i'm whistling every day anyhow...sound like hell...but you can't part a boy from his whistle (cough cough cough tweet).
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Once my coughing kept me from playing my whistles. So I make it a habit to rinse out my throat every time I play. Now I have no problem. I think it's just because of my lack of gargling habit.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Slowair, have you by any chance been sharing cabs with either Eldarion or Joyce(from Toronto, and asian)? I don't think you have a whistle related respritory problem... I think you have SARS.... I'd consult Tom the Miltown Cabdriver as soon as possible!! Perhaps Martin or Eldarion still have his number.
No I'm not returning...