OT: 16 things it took me 50+ years to learn

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: 16 things it took me 50+ years to learn

Post by susnfx »

Okay, I didn't actually write these--Dave Barry did. But they're funny and true. And even true for those who play the whistle (see #3, 6, 14, and 15).

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be “meetings.”

3. There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

5. You should not confuse your career with your life.

6. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.

7. Never lick a steak knife.

8. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

9. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

10. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she’s pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

11. There comes a time when you should stop expecting people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age eleven.

12. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe we are above-average drivers.

13. A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

14. Your friends love you anyway.

15. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

16. Final thought for the day: Men are like fine wine. They start out as grapes, and it’s up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Susan
(edited to correct a couple of typos)
Last edited by susnfx on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Hear hear!

:lol: :lol:

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

#4 = true
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

As for #16, I instead quote a middle school principal:

"It's all about control."

#16 sounds like somebody who, having never went ahead and got the divorce, believes, rationalizes and accepts then embarks on a life of passive-aggressive marital behavior. If you have run the gauntlet, you have a dislike for controlling people that nearly changes your entire emotional chemistry for good.

The rest of 'em are pretty funny.

The Unbridled Weekender
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Good ole Dave.
I concur with The Weekenders. #16 is lame-o-rama.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wombat

Re: OT: 16 things it took me 50+ years to learn

Post by Wombat »

susnfx wrote:
16. Final thought for the day: Men are like fine wine. They start out as grapes, and it’s up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into some-thing acceptable to have dinner with.

Susan
It's got nothing to do with the stomping. It's all those years we spend huddled together in dark damp cellars maturing. :D
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I think 16 is funny. As are 1-15. Thanks for sharing, Susan, this brightened my day!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bloomfield

Re: OT: 16 things it took me 50+ years to learn

Post by Bloomfield »

susnfx wrote:13. A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

16. Final thought for the day: Men are like fine wine. They start out as grapes, and it’s up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Very good. I like 13 because it is true. As for 16, the thought may be trite, but it's expressed in a new and funny way, and I'll take that any day. :)

BTW, Weekenders, I think you should examine your use of the term "passive-aggressive." :) I mean, ask yourself: Is there anything in this world that is wicked or evil that is not passive-agressive (apart from liberals, of course). If there isn't, I apologize for bringing it up. But if there is, you may consider restricting the use of the term passive-aggressive a bit. ;)
/Bloomfield
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Hey Sus dear, you forgot one. Not intentionally, I hope.

from Dave Barry... - "I've never understood why women love cats. Cats are independent, they don't listen, they don't come in when you call,
they like to stay out all night, and when they're home they like to
be left alone and sleep. In other words, every quality that women
hate in a man, they love in a cat."

:lol:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you can keep your head while all those about you
are losing theirs, they probably know more about
the situation than you do.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float. :boggle:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

#3 and #7 (OUCH!) sure hit the mark!! Yes, I have really been stupid enough to lick a steak knife. I have also been stupid enough to pick up a safety razor by the head....another big OUCH!! I thought they were SAFETY RAZORS???!!!!!! Put a cramp in my whistling for a day or two!

I also like the grape stomping part....c'mere boys.........

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing!! Got to share this one!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

As it happens, Mrs._Mc loves grapes.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

jim_mc wrote:As it happens, Mrs._Mc loves grapes.
Now if she'll only stick with you even after you've become a raisin...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey Bloomfield: Don't worry, I wouldn't use the term "passive-aggressive" to describe you. I have other adjectives and even a few nouns in mind for your presumptive and critical comments.

But I stick to my assertion of the quiet married folk running around putting up with all kinds of things they never thought they would have to, with occasional outbursts of anger and/or peculiar black humor or just weird manipulative behavior. Have met many of them.