OT: forgive me: it's about accordians

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fiddling_tenor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: forgive me: it's about accordians

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I DID search the archives first...

I was just given an old accordian and need to find out if its worth getting refurbished. The only identification I can see on it is a Sibylla Brand sticker. And I suspect its only a "starter" instrument.

Does anyone know where I might find info on this thing? I searched on Google for "Sibylla" and under "accordians."

So please don't tell me to do a search. Thanks!

-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
csharpd

Post by csharpd »

You'll get a few hits, including one for a query similar to your own, if you spell "accordion" correctly, with "-ion" on the end. :lol: Since Google doesn't automatically handle stems and endings, search on both "accordion" and "accordions."

That said, it's hard for anyone to tell you anything about an accordion based on the brand name alone. There were hundreds of different brands/labels, many of which are/were "private labels" made for specific dealers.

Old accordions often need fairly substantial (multi-hundred-dollar) overhauls to make them playable. But it's near-impossible for someone to give you an opinion on the value of doing that without seeing and trying the instrument. There are many, many factors that affect the value, including:

- number of reeds per note
- type of reeds
- how in or out of tune it is
- condition of valves, pads, and wax (the reeds are normally held in place with a mixture of beeswax and linseed oil. Eventually that dries out and the accordion needs a wax job ... $$)
- number of keys (treble side) and buttons (bass side), assuming it's a piano accordion.
- etc., etc.

Are you in or near a major city, where you might find an accordion technician? Check the Yellow Pages.

Another approach would be to post a query on the newsgroup rec.music.makers.squeezebox asking for the name of a repair person in your area, wherever that might be.

Good luck.

C#/D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tom, if it's of any use to you, there's a very reputable restorer of old boxes in Duluth , Minnesota. She also has a museum full of them (attendance by appointment only), and also conducts training in repairs. Sorry, I don't have any more than that.
csharpd

Post by csharpd »

Nanohedron wrote:Tom, if it's of any use to you, there's a very reputable restorer of old boxes in Duluth , Minnesota.
That would be Helmi Harrington of the World of Accordions Museum. See http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/dulut ... 358880.htm

But there are lots of other places ... I know of reputable shops in NYC, Western Massachusetts, Detroit, SF Bay area, to name a few.

--C#/D
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Thanks everyone! Gives me somewhere to start at least. I'm brand spankin' new to accordIONS (yes, it's a piano accordion). Again thanks!

-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.