Serov flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ojvoj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Serov flutes

Post by ojvoj »

Anybody playing Serov´s flutes???
http://www.users.bigpond.com/russels/
Par Kristoffersson
Sweden
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

Nobody?????
Par Kristoffersson
Sweden
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
David Levine

I played one recently

Post by David Levine »

I played one at Dusty Strings, in Seattle, recently. Nice full sound, very crisp, and easy to play. However, the keys looked very cheap-- made of some indeterminate metal and not at all pretty. The springs were made of old ball-point pen springs. The rings were made of brass. I didn't much like the way the flute looked. The blocks were somewhat crude. Very workmanlike, not much finesse. IMHO, a good player but visually unappealing.
BTW, the way the shop kept the flutes is appalling. They are presented in a case with no source of moisture, in a fairly dry shop. I would never leave one of my flutes on consignment with them. I spoke to somebody there about humidifying the environment in the case and he said the situation would be corrected. Any word on that?
johnkerr

Re: I played one recently

Post by johnkerr »

David Levine wrote:I played one at Dusty Strings, in Seattle, recently. BTW, the way the shop kept the flutes is appalling. They are presented in a case with no source of moisture, in a fairly dry shop. I would never leave one of my flutes on consignment with them.
David, you expect subtleties of environmental control from a place that can't even be bothered to wipe the dust off its strings?
Dominic Allan

serov flutes

Post by Dominic Allan »

as a matter of interest ,does anyone have any sugestions on how to humidify a display cabinet?
cocusflute

Humidifying display cabinet

Post by cocusflute »

It's very easily done. Fill a cup with water and using a face cloth as a wick just set the cup in the cabinet. The cabinet needn't be airtight but should be sealed well enough to keep the cabinet humid.
A cheap hygrometer is available at Radio Shack for about $30. Cheap and easy enough considering the value of the flutes we all have.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

Thanks, that's the same solution that I came up with! I just assumed that there must be an overcomplex and more technologicaly impressive way!
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I tried out that serov at dusty strings yesterday, I wasn't all that impressed, the keys look a lot like the keys I saw on an original R&R once, the block mounts weren't in places that work well for flat fingering so it forces you to play with your fingertips. OTOH I played on the copeland low D they had there and fell in love.......